LaunchBox Community Forums

Some new information on the current (unfortunate) GamesDB situation

Avowian

https://www.facebook.com/thegamesdb/posts/1058742734182457 Wasn't sure where the best place to post this would be, but I figured here would be the most prudent since people may see it before asking why they can't download metadata from GamesDB. Essentially, the site was shut down without warning by it's hosting company, and the people behind the DB will have to move to a new company, or purchase their own dedicated servers before getting the site back up(in all likelihood). I didn't see any posts about this here, and considering how important GamesDB's service can be to LaunchBox, I thought I should help spread the news.

DudeManL57 said It is my luck that I join and everything goes to poop lol. Just blame me lol. I do really love the frontend though and am here to stay Laugh. I completely understand that this was out of your control. Best of luck with the switch.
Yep, haha, I just started working with LaunchBox a few days ago. Actually bought premium the day that DB went down, but that's just the way things go I guess. Either way, the program rocks and I'm happy to stick around while things get sorted ^^

Yea, Jason and I feel horrible for new and existing users. You all paid for this and now a core function doesn't work. We're grateful that so far we don't seem to be under attack by any users. So far the reception has been really good as to not be mad at us. I've always said we have a great community and times like this warrants that praise.

Just so everyone reading this knows, GamesDB is not shutting down. Their hosting site has locked them out completely. The owner is a nice guy, and is trying hard to get his site up and running again. Unfortunately It does look like it is time for us to part ways with GamesDB, meaning we will either be adding a new scraping source to LaunchBox (Likely GiantBomb since MobyGames isn't ready to go) or create our own. We had plans for this but with the recent events it looks like this will be happening sooner rather than later. Either way, everyone will be notified soon with our plans. Thank you all again very much.

I'm saddened that this all happened the week I decided to start using LaunchBox in earnest and get all my game organized :( I wonder if there is anyone out there with a large amount of data already scraped and if they could share their xml with us? I'm sure there's got to be at least some people who already did a lot of the work.

I bought it as well the day it went down lol. Well if you guys decide to make your own database and need people to contribute info on the games let me know I would be more then happy to help gather info on the games. The only info I wish it had and I've seen other people post about is amount of player ex. 1,1+,2,2+,ect. I had planned to do custom filters for this but if you were making a new database it would be cool to add from the start. Anyway thanks for the quick responses and all you guys have created so far.

Sharing the XML wouldn't be viable. All of the paths to roms and emulators would be wrong.
But wouldn't that data be easily scriptable into the Metadata.xml file to use for local tagging? I don't know how all the internals of LaunchBox work, but I've looked around the xml enough to be pretty sure all I need is a simple script.

New beta version is out. I got sick and tired of TGDB going down so I ragequit. We're no longer reliant on TheGamesDB.net. LaunchBox is now connected to a read-only database hosted by us (based on the data from TheGamesDB.net). The data is basically an outdated copy of the data from TGDB, including images. Whenever TGDB does come back up (based on my talks with Flexage I am confident that it will but not sure how long it will be), we can update the data in our own database from the data in TGDB database. Soon enough though we will be branching out completely and allowing users to contribute to our database. I think you'll find that imports are faster and cleaner now. Please test everything you can as soon as you're able; I'm hoping to put this out as an official release as soon as possible, since LaunchBox 5.7 is so crippled without TGDB being available. This has no effect on our plans to add additional scrapers such as MobyGames. That is still planned.

New beta version is out. I got sick and tired of TGDB going down so I ragequit. We're no longer reliant on TheGamesDB.net. LaunchBox is now connected to a read-only database hosted by us (based on the data from TheGamesDB.net). The data is basically an outdated copy of the data from TGDB, including images. Whenever TGDB does come back up (based on my talks with Flexage I am confident that it will but not sure how long it will be), we can update the data in our own database from the data in TGDB database. Soon enough though we will be branching out completely and allowing users to contribute to our database. I think you'll find that imports are faster and cleaner now. Please test everything you can as soon as you're able; I'm hoping to put this out as an official release as soon as possible, since LaunchBox 5.7 is so crippled without TGDB being available. This has no effect on our plans to add additional scrapers such as MobyGames. That is still planned.