LaunchBox Community Forums

Some new information on the current (unfortunate) GamesDB situation

Avowian

keltoigael said I do have a question about using the new Beta and the local metadata and images. Once we go through this process of updating imports how do we then flag our old imports to use new metadata once we make the switch to a newer api. Btw great job on the quick work and responses.
Switching to the new API will be automatic, because we're using the same IDs that TheGamesDB.net used.

DOS76 said Click tools from the LaunchBox menu then go to options then click updates and check the check box to get beta updates then restart LB and it will prompt you to download the beta.
I try this over and over with it not fully installing. I cant launch launchbox when i click the icon.... it also says setup tab on my taskbar that wont go away as if its still installing even hours later. I tried a dozen times with no success with the same outcome each time... any suggestions? Thanks. ps. i have installed beta updates before flawlessly but this one seems broken on my end.

I have closed all instances in task manager, uninstalled launchbox, then it says it will have left over files i will need to delete... so I delete the extra files but is says i cant delete the launchbox.exe until i restart comp, then it allows me. once all launchbox files are deleted from my comp including the setup exe i got emailed to me, i redownload it, install it, add license.xml, open launchbox, enable beta updates, close launchbox, reopen launchbox, click yes to installing beta release, then let it do its thing... now after a few mins, its like it finished but instead of closing completely, it just removes the window from my sight, then it still has the setup tab in the bottom taskbar, even when i click on that, it wont open the window... i left it multiple times for hours and it just wont go away. I even tried closing it from task manager, reboot pc, then try and launch it but it just does the loading cursor and never opens. thanks DOS76 for the interest in helpin me. Smile

• 3 months later...
Sorry to bring up a relatively old post. This is my first post btw :-). I just wanted to clarify where Launchbox is at now with it's scraping (hate that word lol). 4 months on from the original date of this thread.......am I right in thinking Launchbox can now directly log in to Emumovies to download Assets / Artworks? I'm a long time GameEx user thinking of jumping ship to Launchbox / Big Box, which is like having a skin transplant (well maybe not quite), because I'm tired of the GameEx interface looking like something from 2005.

We've been able to log in to EmuMovies for quite a while now. If you have LaunchBox Premium and EmuMovies Premium you can also download the video from within LaunchBox too! Also, our Database is moving at a great rate, we've attrated some dedicated Retro Gaming Enthusiests and Artists as well and the update to upload your metadata and media from within LaunchBox to our Database is coming as well. Also welcome to the forums. If you got more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the quick reply Brad! Yeah, I have a premium for EmuMovies. I think my next premium is going to be Big Box tbh. The thought of switching Front Ends fills me with dread after the time and effort I've spent on the other one, but I'm liking the support this project is getting and the buzz surrounding Launchbox, as well as the YouTube tutorials etc. Thanks again.

When I try to add metadata and images with wizard, to my rom (.zip) files, I doesn´t recognize the .zip name and I have to manually edit the name game so I can add metadata from launchbox and emumovies. This is ok for a few games, but for a lot of games is a nightmare. There´s a better way? What I´m doing wrong? note: I have launchbox Premium and the v 6.3-beta1

The importer and scraper ignores anything inside ( ), and [ ], as well as file extensions which a .zip is. There might be a bug with the latest beta instead. Archives, while not suggested for discs, is totally scrapable and fine. What images are you trying to download? What game is are you scraping? If you could post in the beta thread though or make your own thread that would be best.

I also tried on V 6.2 and is the same, Im trying to add sega model 3 and sega model 2 roms (.zip files). Example: daytona2.zip , the launchbox gives the name daytona2, I need to manually change the name to Daytona USA 2 so Launchbox recognize the game and I can add metadata from Launch box DB and emumovies.

You need to use the MAME importing for these (there is a check box during import) and even then it's not currently working properly. We already know about this though and are hoping to fix it soon. Regular MAME still works great for importing, either calling that Arcade or checking the MAME Box will use the MAME importing function so that it knows what the names actually are.