LaunchBox Community Forums

Some RetroArch Cores not loading through Launchbox after 1.3.2 Update

angelobodetti

Is anyone else experiancing this? I some (not all) RetroArch cores are not loading through LaucnhBox (or BigBox) after RetroArch was updated to 1.3.2. I tried to load the cores and roms directly from RetroArch and it works perfectly. So the issue is on the LaunchBox side. For example.. - 3do does not load through LaunchBox but does through RetroArch natively. - GameBoy Advance, SNES, Genesis do load through LB and RA Any advice?

I had a little bit of a go at 1.3.2 last night to see if it was worth switching to. I got 3DO working but I had to switch my launchbox file to point at the actual iso image instead of the cue sheet but it did work. The one problem I did run into was NeoGeo using the FBA core because it was defaulting to one of the MVS bios and not using the Unibios and nothing I could do to fix it would stick. At the end of the end I just went back to using 1.3.0, the newer version has nothing important to make it worth the headache of changing.

Names could have changed, or if you updated and didn't carry over your cores, configs, system folder and retroarch.cfg then you're missing Core files. You'll need to re-download them or carry them over. You'll also need to tell LaunchBox where the new RetroArch is located too. We've got a video on the channel about updating RA and everything to do in these scenario's when upgrading. If you did carry over, the files could have changed, file extensions could have changed (though honestly unlikely), BIOS could have changed. There's lots of stuff. If you've got the Core downloaded, the proper -L command in LB and the game is linked properly there really shouldn't be anything in your way. I've loaded up 1.3.2 just fine, so I have no clue. Just to be safe, I just tried loading some of the games from your console list and they loaded just fine. So something between LaunchBox, RetroArch and your set up is broken. This isn't necessarily a LaunchBox bug. A link (which is to say a file path to a rom, core, emulator or anything else that needs them) is broken somewhere.

lordmonkus said I had a little bit of a go at 1.3.2 last night to see if it was worth switching to. I got 3DO working but I had to switch my launchbox file to point at the actual iso image instead of the cue sheet but it did work. The one problem I did run into was NeoGeo using the FBA core because it was defaulting to one of the MVS bios and not using the Unibios and nothing I could do to fix it would stick. At the end of the end I just went back to using 1.3.0, the newer version has nothing important to make it worth the headache of changing.
In the long run it will be more worth it to be updated. I am unclear with MAME related BIOS and what is good what is bad, but open up the FBA .info file in the info folder with Notepad++. This tells you the BIOS and File extensions they need. Sometimes this can be off as Mednafen PCE or SuperGrafx don't say they can load CCD files, even though they can. Maybe rename the BIOS you want to use with the BIOS it is looking for? I patched my TurboGrafx syscard3.pce BIOS so that it autoboots instead of needing to press a button.

I got no problems updating, especially when there's a feature making the switch worth it but something in 1.3.2 and the FBA cores it was having some issues with NeoGeo. From the little time I spent at it it seems to want to default to one of the MVS bios files instead of the Unibios even after I told it to use the Unibios in the core options. Certain games weren't loading. So for now there is no compelling reason to make the switch, 1.3.2 has no features in it to make me switch. When they come out with the next point release with worthwhile changes like the difference from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 I will make the switch and figure everything out.

lordmonkus said I got no problems updating, especially when there's a feature making the switch worth it but something in 1.3.2 and the FBA cores it was having some issues with NeoGeo. From the little time I spent at it it seems to want to default to one of the MVS bios files instead of the Unibios even after I told it to use the Unibios in the core options. Certain games weren't loading. So for now there is no compelling reason to make the switch, 1.3.2 has no features in it to make me switch. When they come out with the next point release with worthwhile changes like the difference from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 I will make the switch and figure everything out.
Have you tried updating the core specifically? Or Running portions of the Online Updater? As long as it's not a problem with this build or RA, it can probably get fixed in an update. The beauty of their new schedule though, you won't have to wait long for the next stable.

I tried the 3 different FBA cores, fb_alpha_libretro.dll, fb_alpha_neo_libretro.dll and fba_libretro.dll using the online updater and I even tried copying over the cores from 1.3.0 build. In the end I am sure there is something i'm missing but I wasn't about to spend any more time troubleshooting it for no real gain in the end. I know the problem was in the core options not remembering to use the Unibios option, it just kept defaulting back to one of the MVS bios options. I tried saving the config but no luck. I looked in the retroarch-core-options.cfg and found in there that it was set to MVS and I have no idea what it would have to be so it would be set to use Unibios and I really just didn't care anymore to mess with it anymore. It's probably something simple, it usually is lol.

lordmonkus said I tried the 3 different FBA cores, fb_alpha_libretro.dll, fb_alpha_neo_libretro.dll and fba_libretro.dll using the online updater and I even tried copying over the cores from 1.3.0 build. In the end I am sure there is something i'm missing but I wasn't about to spend any more time troubleshooting it for no real gain in the end. I know the problem was in the core options not remembering to use the Unibios option, it just kept defaulting back to one of the MVS bios options. I tried saving the config but no luck. I looked in the retroarch-core-options.cfg and found in there that it was set to MVS and I have no idea what it would have to be so it would be set to use Unibios and I really just didn't care anymore to mess with it anymore. It's probably something simple, it usually is lol.
No that's ok. If you're done with it for now that's cool, I just always like trying to help people get up and running as best as I can, usually to a fault.