LaunchBox Community Forums

Images & Database Matching

angelobodetti

Not sure if this should go in the troubleshooting forum but I'm having "trouble" so... Basically I have Commodore Amiga all setup running perfectly - If anyone wants to know how, just watch Simply Austin's video and then use RocketLauncher as the emulator in LaunchBox. - The issue I'm having is that the only romset that works with Amiga emulation is the WHDLoad set. - The WHDload set does not have the best rom names - Many times they are abbreviated or have version numbers and languages in the zip title. - When loading the roms into LaunchBox the emu movies sync works well and pulls down all the art and videos available because thats the naming convention Hyperspin uses as well. - The LaunchBox database however does not pick up on the games because of the inconsistent titles. - Since the LB database doesn't pick up the games I have no shown cover art and the game names are shown as the file names. Is there anyway to do a mass match or sync of some sort? Like I said, Emu Movies knows the correct titles, its the LB Games Database that doesn't. As always, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Bump I think the way launchbox imports games needs a revamp (or how it imports art). Not showing info like (en) or (disc 1) is all fine and good infact i like the clean look, but having that info left out of the artwork isn't right. The reason why I don't use launchbox is because I cannot use my art I already downloaded. It would be nice if you could select directories for the art as well, but since you can already do that on most frontends it's not a big issue if the arts home resides in Lb, I like keeping my artwork in a folder outside of my frontends. Also a feature that I think would be helpful would be when launchbox sees (disc 1) or (cd 1) it imports all the discs and puts a number overlay on the bottom right side of the cover. I would buy bigbox if art was named correctly, it is very confusing that the art naming convention matches the stripped database name instead of the correct physical rom name.

Hi guys, yes, we definitely do need to revamp how platforms like Amiga are imported into LaunchBox. Other than MAME, platforms where the ROMs do not use actual game titles in the names are currently problematic. Rest assured that this will be a focus very soon. @ThePagel, you should be just fine to use the artwork you already downloaded...and you CAN change the folders for all of LaunchBox's art. LaunchBox will pull art either based on the name of the game or based on the name of the ROM file. Either name will be picked up from the images folders. You can change all the folders under Tools > Manage Platforms in LaunchBox. There should be no issues using an existing art collection.

Jason Carr said Hi guys, yes, we definitely do need to revamp how platforms like Amiga are imported into LaunchBox. Other than MAME, platforms where the ROMs do not use actual game titles in the names are currently problematic. Rest assured that this will be a focus very soon. @ThePagel, you should be just fine to use the artwork you already downloaded...and you CAN change the folders for all of LaunchBox's art. LaunchBox will pull art either based on the name of the game or based on the name of the ROM file. Either name will be picked up from the images folders. You can change all the folders under Tools > Manage Platforms in LaunchBox. There should be no issues using an existing art collection.
Very cool :) I'm blind sometimes. So could I use the LB scraper to keep up to date and have the scraped art match my rom names? Thank you for your speedy reply, can't wait to try it out.

If you have no media or metadata or just want updates, you can fill in what you have and have LaunchBox either look for fields and categories with missing media or metadata to fill in or you'd need to download all new art. There isn't, currently yet, a way to update Database entries based on Date, but that will be coming so users don't have to download entire sections all over again that are not necessery.

• 2 weeks later...
A comment on this subject from an amiga/whdload perspective: I don't know how ROM names are mached to game titles for other platforms, but couldn't you add a db attribute "rom name", possibly with multiple entries, that db entries are matched against when you import games? This way amiga enthusiasts could fill in theese fields and problem solved.

wasili said A comment on this subject from an amiga/whdload perspective: I don't know how ROM names are mached to game titles for other platforms, but couldn't you add a db attribute "rom name", possibly with multiple entries, that db entries are matched against when you import games? This way amiga enthusiasts could fill in theese fields and problem solved.
Yea we thought of doing something like that, but unfortunetly that would require one for each game, and most games don't exist. For special systems like this that have internal Database name conversions we can utilize this in LaunchBox. We already internalize and change the internal MAME names of games over to their real names for scraping purposes (even though there is a bug in there right now for other systems not based in MAME). We can pull something off like that for WHD Games potentially, and it probably updates way less.

Adding Amiga games to Launchbox, just referenced to the Launcher works perfectly for getting the whole WHD database done as a drag drop to Launchbox. MASSIVE problem however, is that WHDLoad doesn't support savestates, and I don't fancy starting long games over and over again. Not so much free time now we are older :) Has anyone discovered a work-around for save states yet please?Surprised

dudechester said MASSIVE problem however, is that WHDLoad doesn't support savestates
whdload is not an emulator. emulators like fs-uae which are perfect for running whdload-installs do support save states as far as I know...
SentaiBrad said Yea we thought of doing something like that, but unfortunetly that would require one for each game, and most games don't exist.
I'm not sure I get you here... You mean there are no whdload images for most amiga games? I would say the opposite is true. And isn't ist possible to have null values for games that are not concerned by this? Or do you mean, if you made it a db attribute, games of every platform would have it which would cause issues of some kind? Anyway including name conversion for theese games somehow would be great!

If we included the internal WHDLoad name on the Database, it wouldn't work as not every game exists on the Database. Using the internal database naming, if it converts it internally like MAME does, will work and we could more easily implement something like that.