LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing MS-DOS games no information is scraped

kulverstukas

Launchbox is really nice, I'm using it for my portable custom emulation rig in a box (WIP) and I'm in a process of dealing with software, and I noticed one thing, and I'm not sure if that's normal, because I can't find any information about it - when you import ROM games, all information is scraped perfectly. But when I import MS-DOS games, nothing gets scraped, it doesn't even tries to search... maybe I need to download the covers manually somehow? tl;dr - does Launchbox scrape information for ms-dos games when importing them?

Yea there should be scraped games, granted not everything, but you should have something. https://i.imgur.com/lNPiEdy.png If you want to re-run the Metadata and Images feature, click a game then hit Ctrl + A to highlight them all. Then go to Tools -> Download Metadata and Images (at the bottom) and that process will run again. If the platform is the same as the database (MS-DOS) you should be getting something, unless you have games that are the less scrapeable kind. I even have a bunch of games with no box art but screenshots and video (from EmuMovies) too.

Check your firewall, give LaunchBox elevated permissions, give the folder permissions, make sure that the system is called MS-DOS or try a clean install of LB (make a copy of the XML file and delete the original) or try a new PC? I have 4.5k games for DOS myself, and while a lot of the games aren't being scraped (because the information doesn't exist yet), as you can see from the screenshot a lot of it does. I also just recently re-imported my DOS games too.

It's alright. Our DOS section is kind of ... pathetic to be honest. We grabbed all of our data from the GamesDB, and their DOS section was merged in with PC and wasn't given a lot of love. One of the first things I made sure we did was start to do right with all of the information we got. Number 1 was splitting DOS and PC and making sure we have the tools to allow everyone to start uploading for it. Jason and I love DOS.

• 7 months later...