LaunchBox Community Forums

NeoGeo won't play

Wolf_

I've tried all 3 of the free rom packs from this one site that was a real pleasure to use even if its dome shaped architecture was a little strange and switched between mame and the retroarch fb alpha core and still whenever I load a game it goes to this white checkerboard screen and refuses to do anything... what am I doing wrong?

Never seen this, but I just want to clarify that there are two different neogeo sets. One is standard and is part of the regular Mame rom collection. It will need the correct bios to run but the bios should also be present in the same rom collection. This is for NeoGeo MVS. Now, AES is the console system and this set comes with the software list package, which is NOT part of the main Mame package. I'm not sure about the differences between those two rom sets, if any, but one runs directly like any other Mame game and the other runs using Mess command line (-cart1... -cart2 etc). Are the other Mame games running normally?

Update: Tried 3 rom packs for neogeo on mame & all failed Tried fb rom pack with retroarch neogeo fb core... failed Tried the maglord rom from my mame 1.73 pack... worked fine Copied new neogeo.zip into neogeo folder... roms still failed Every time the emulator (retroarch and mame) load fine and get to a black screen with white boxes on it that look like this: ____________________________ |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| And then it just stays there and will not start the game no matter what buttons I press. Although I can change the mame frameskip settings and all that stuff from this screen. What the hell is going on here?

I'm successfully running a NeoGeo rom pack with fb_alpha_neo_libretro RetroArch core and the pack's neogeo.zip (a copy placed in BOTH the directory with the roms and in the Retroarch 'System' folder) ** A problem that took me a while to figure out, that prevented them from launching properly, was "Extract ROM archives before running" in 'Manage Emulators' section. NEOGEO roms should not be extracted/unzipped. Just another thing to check and cross off the list of possible things that might be causing the problem.

AutumnSounds said I'm successfully running a NeoGeo rom pack with fb_alpha_neo_libretro RetroArch core and the pack's neogeo.zip (a copy placed in BOTH the directory with the roms and in the Retroarch 'System' folder) ** A problem that took me a while to figure out, that prevented them from launching properly, was "Extract ROM archives before running" in 'Manage Emulators' section. NEOGEO roms should not be extracted/unzipped. Just another thing to check and cross off the list of possible things that might be causing the problem.
Thanks, I've checked it off my list. I also tried from the command line: mame64.exe neogeo -cart1 "D:\Games\LaunchBox\Games\NeoGeo\maglord.zip" And it froze at the same box screen as it does from LaunchBox. I am on my 4th neogeo rompack but this time when I tried it with the fb alpha retroarch core it worked! It still won't work in mame but hey at least I got the damn thing to turn on so at this point while I would still really like to know what the heck is going on I'm willing to accept that at least it works and walk away from this mess lol.

Here's something to try if you are interested. If your rom folder is set properly in your mame.ini file and your neogeo bios are placed in the same folder as your neogeo roms the only command you need to run mame with is: mame64.exe maglord You don't need all the system and -cart1 stuff for neogeo.

lordmonkus said Here's something to try if you are interested. If your rom folder is set properly in your mame.ini file and your neogeo bios are placed in the same folder as your neogeo roms the only command you need to run mame with is: mame64.exe maglord You don't need all the system and -cart1 stuff for neogeo.
IT WORKS! I DON'T KNOW WHY OR HOW BUT IT WORKS! #INTERNETVICTORYDANCE