LaunchBox Community Forums

Frequent crashes

Abobo

Hello, I have a Win10 Pro x64 system and am using Launchbox premium (most recent version(s)). Regardless of the version, it crashes frequently on me, most often on starting up Launchbox or Big Box - where can i get the logs for troubleshooting purposes, or any ideas? I use it frequently, if not exclusively, with RetroArch. I'd say it crashes at least once every time I use it.. "Launchbox has stopped working.." or something similar. If it matters, i have an AMD FX8320 processor and AMD 280X gfx card usually in "duplicate" mode. Thanks.

What is "duplicate" mode? I am not versed in AMD as much as I am for Intel and Nvidia. Also, what are the age of your part? On what type of Hard Drive is LaunchBox located on? Where is it located? What version of Windows are you on? How much RAM do you have?

Duplicate mode is not AMD specific - it's the Windows display mode (Windows key + P, select duplicate). Used because i often have my main PC monitor and TV on at the same time, and will switch between the two for my display. My GFX card is less than 2 yrs old, CPU and MOBO about 4 yrs. Launchbox is installed on my F:\, which is a local disk (Western Digital Black 3TB HDD, less than a year old). Win10 X64. 8GB of RAM. I have set Launchbox's RAM cache to around 1.5GB.

Yea... nothing on your machine should stop you from that. I also forget that the mirrored mode thing in Windows exists! xD Do you happen to have any AV software running in the back or any active scanning operations going on like RAM monitoring by any chance?

Yeah, I use duplicate mode pretty much daily with my job and home setup - second nature now! I do have Webroot AV software running, but have never seen any warnings, etc. No scanning operations/RAM monitoring that i know of. I should mention I have several controllers plugged in at all times, including an Xbox 360 controller, running SCP service to use my PS3 controller wirelessly with my pc (recognized as Xinput), Mayflash SNES to USB controller and retrolink NES/USB controller adapters. Would there be anything in the Windows error logs at all?

Hi @Abobo, I think the best option is to start narrowing it down. Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus to see if that makes any difference. Then try disconnecting your controllers to see if that helps, etc. Only try one thing at a time so that it can be narrowed down. There's no reason for me to believe that duplicate mode would be causing a problem, but as drivers vary it might be worth temporarily disabling that as well to see if that might be causing an issue. If you can help me narrow down the issue, then it will be much easier for me to solve it. Thanks!

Abobo said I do have Webroot AV software running, but have never seen any warnings, etc. No scanning operations/RAM monitoring that i know of.
A lack of warnings/messages doesn't necessarily mean it's not the culprit. I used to have an issue where my AV (Avast) was causing some software related to my dedicated soundcard (of all things) to crash until I added it to its exception list; and there was no error specifically from Avast, it was just a generic windows "application has stopped working" error. If it were me, that's where I'd start. If turning it off completely solves your problem, try adding Launchbox/Big Box (the entire folder, for that matter) to your exception list.