LaunchBox Community Forums

FEATURE REQUEST: Renaming Roms Files

frasto90

Not sure if this is available, but one feature i would like to see is the ability to rename rom files to be exactly how its named in the library. For example if i added a rom file that had incorrect spelling and launchbox found and downloaded the content, it should then rename that rom file to match as well. This would also make things much easier if in the future you had to reinstall launchbox and had re-add all rom files, then it will recognize and download metadata and images straight away, instead of manually going through games that it didn't find and having to edit and finding the correct name in the database etc Hope you can understand what I'm talking about! haha

While LB does find small errors and fix them it also has issues with naming games with part II or III as duplicates of one of the games so while it would be helpful in cases it would be detrimental on the ones it finds incorrectly because now your roms would be named incorrectly I'd rather not see that happen.

I can see what you mean there, it would causes issues in that area especially with Mame etc Maybe we can have that feature only available on simpler platforms that only runs on one file eg gameboy or playstation etc One thing Ive found annoying is when adding games such as Pokemon, some titles it will not find on the database unless its spelt "Pokémon" with the hyphenated é .....Always happens with Pokemon Stadium and several other titles that I've had to edit manually.... I hope they can improve the search process so while adding games with hyphenated letters they can be found and matched as well, Pokemon Stadium is a good example for me.

• 10 months later...
On 7/29/2016 at 0:11 PM, frasto90 said:

Not sure if this is available, but one feature i would like to see is the ability to rename rom files to be exactly how its named in the library. For example if i added a rom file that had incorrect spelling and launchbox found and downloaded the content, it should then rename that rom file to match as well. This would also make things much easier if in the future you had to reinstall launchbox and had re-add all rom files, then it will recognize and download metadata and images straight away, instead of manually going through games that it didn't find and having to edit and finding the correct name in the database etc Hope you can understand what I'm talking about! haha

Try KrojamSoft BatchRename program, very good in such case

• Like 1

This is an all too common request/issue.
The bread and butter of Launchbox is the fact that you can put your roms in and it finds images automatically for them. But it only does half a job.

We desperately need XMLs or DATS to run through programs like CLRMAMEPRO or have a rom auditing system that does crc32 checks and renames the roms to HOW LAUNCHBOX WANTS THEM.
I batch import an entire no intro NES collection (0 roms missing) and I know for a fact you guys have every rom in the DB but HUNDREDS are missing LB DB numbers. Until I move a : " La Le Die Disk (I could make a list) or remove the second half of the title ect

You guys don't follow the No-intro naming format (which I can't believe), and no one had responded to any of my questions on the matter so I'm just going to assume the Launchbox rom naming system has been slowly built up by the small moderation group.
Where it should of been built on-top of complete Dat lists so names didn't get changed to what ever the moderator felt like before it got approved.

That way EVERY GAME would be in the LB database and some would only be missing info and pictures till they were updated.

At present we have a front end that can batch import roms, batch download metadata but cannot properly batch find all roms DB # if the rom is incorrectly named, and there is no batch option in place to rename them to how Launchbox wants, nor can I even find a text file that lists these names( rather than 1 by 1 check the website vs rom, so backwards)

Datomatic has been around for a lot longer than LB they know what they are doing....

IMO it wouldn't be hard to get Launchbox to do a CRC32 check on rom import, and the checks are actually quite fast. Its a solid step everyone having uniform correctly placed metadata and complete collections.

I personally cannot think of another batch solution to this major issue.

Edited by syntax_X

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, frasto90 said:

That's not Launchbox finding content, that's Emumovies.
Launchbox wouldn't of used the standard naming for the game but Emumovies did and as such downloads images and movies ect.

If you check these titles they will not have a LB DB # until you fiddle with the name and recheck. 

Edited by syntax_X