LaunchBox Community Forums

How to install themes for BigBox

Dipso

After feeling dumb for not understanding how to install these themes i finally figured it out. I though i might make a post for others feeling as confused as I did. 1. Get the latest beta - At the time of writing themes are only supported by the Beta version. 2. Install/unzip themes, keeping them in their own folder into: [your launchbox folder]\themes\ (If the themes folder does not exist, create it.) 3. Choose the theme from the options menu in big box. A few notes: - A lot of the themes depend on having the "right" graphics for platforms etc or the correct settings. Take a look in the thread to see what settings or graphics the author recommends. - The beta changes a few of the default folders for front box art, so you might need to copy some images around - New in the beta is the ability to set up sorting priorities for things like screenshots etc. This is a great way to make sure you get for instance in-game screenshots instead of the title screen if you want that for instance. Hope this helps people who are as confused as I was. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I promise, I have done exactly this. I still get NO change at all in BigBox when I select a different theme. The folders are unzipped, in the themes folder of LB, and I changed the graphics to remove the favorite and recent games as the theme creator advised. I just started trying this morning, is there something with the 6.3 release? I also updated to the beta this morning, and saw no difference with it.

I have tried HyperSpinVideoThemes (saw the post about them being unhappy, figured it might have something to do with that) went to CustomTurion then CleanHardware2 I'm not getting any errors or anything, there's just nothing happening. At all. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but it's a really simple process, and I just can't see what it would be. (I'm SUPER new to using BigBox too. Just started working with it in the last couple of days. I've been using the desktop version for probably a year, bought my license maybe 4mos ago)

Ok, I'm even more convinced it's something I'm (not?) doing now. The CustomTurion is changing the size of the banner, but that's all I can see. CleanConsole is definitely not changing the view platforms look, and the Hyperspin doesn't do anything. (I don't have the vids downloaded for it, is that the problem there?)

Okay, if you are seeing some changes, then the problem probably lies with the theme itself, or missing videos or images, etc. So it would probably be best to get support for the particular theme in that theme's thread. Keep in mind that some of the themes were released for beta versions of Big Box so it's possible that some features might not be fully working with the official version. If that's the case it should be relatively easy to fix them, but we should talk with the theme creators in order to get them updated. :)

Thanks for the reply Jason. The more I am messing with it now, the more convinced I am it's mostly an image problem. The CustomTurion is working. I guess I didn't realize that shrinking the banner was really all that did to platform view, and the big changes were after you select your system. As always, I appreciate the quick, and sincere, help I get from you guys. I can honestly say, I've never had a more consistent and pleasant customer service experience than what I get from you & Brad, and I'm sure Kirsten soon as well!

• 3 weeks later...
As for missing images / videos: U usually have to put these in the right folders yourself unfortunately. The themes mainly deal with the layout and placement of items + fontes etc. So for clean hardware for instance if you read through the thread he posts where you can find the large hardware images and where to put them, same for the backgrounds. Once set up as described it works as his screenshots suggests. Not optimal, but its a start. :) Next natural step for theming would be to have images folders within the theme and an option in the settings to either let the theme override for instance platform images etc. or to use the default images that you have set.

• 2 years later...

I have searched tutorials and youtube and the forum, but I downloaded some themes, put them in the themes folder, then i go to options, visuals change theme, there is only "default" Anyone can explain what i am doing wrong ?

Also in bigbox, i see nothing to change the theme, so i go to desktop mode options visual and try it there but only the default theme is displayed as an option.,

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen.

Launchbox and Bigbox have seperate themes and can not be mixed. Bigbox themes go in Launchbox/Themes folder and are changed in Bigbox by going to Options/View. Launchbox themes go in Launchbox/LBThemes folder and are changed in Tools/options/visuals. Also they have to be unzipped before they will work.

• Like 1

`Thanks neil9000 i found it out. It is all in dutch here, so had to seBuarch for the right word, it is strange they call it, "bekeken" which means viewed. But i found it, however, now i get all sorts of windows errors, telling me to unblock several dll's. I do this, then i get a very big windows with a lot of text telling me something is wrong with a wheel of some sort. I will try closing and starting it again to see if it makes any difference on my windows 10 machine.

But thanks for the help i am one step further ?