LaunchBox Community Forums

TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine Games not launching via RetroArch

8Phantasm

The points that need to be addressed every time something doesn't work between LB and Retroarch:
    1. Is LB's path to Retroarch correct?
    2. Is the name of the "associated platform" in the Retroarch emulator entry identical to the platform name in your game library? i.e. Is the platform named exactly "TurboGrafx-16" in your library and "TurboGrafx-16" in the associated platforms in the Retroarch entry? If one of them is "TG16" or some such, it's not going to work.
    3. Is the name of the core dll file in the Retroarch emulator entry correct, and formatted as -L "cores\[core name].dll"?
    4. Is the path to the rom correct in the launcher tab?
    5. Is the "extract rom archive" box checked in your Retroarch emulator entry? Typically it shouldn't be.

Thanks bro. Actually it wasn't exactly my fault as the problem was my foldername where roms are located had a character not supported by LaunchBox (²). So I renamed the folder from "NEC - NEC PC-ENGINE & SUPER CD-ROM²" to "NEC - NEC PC-ENGINE & SUPER CD-ROM2". Now they load properly. For some reason I didn't think about trying this until reading your reply, so thanks.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah some special characters like that can cause an issue. I've had to rename a few roms in the past for that reason. My guess is that there are certain characters that are usable within Windows for files/folders that aren't actually usable via command line and it can't find the file/folder as result. Glad you were able to get it sorted.

On the topic of Turbografx and PC Engine, I have in my possession two distinct rom sets for both of these... Ive been trying to figure out what this PC Engine romset I have is... is it turbografx? Is it supergrafx? Turbo Duo.... I'm lost. I can say that the ext is .pce for all of the roms in both sets and my turbografx set (which I minted using a database from HyperSpin) is all USA games so are these two systems equal but my turbografx set just has the japan games removed? (I downloaded this stuff a long time ago and am just starting to import stuff like this in LaunchBox). Thanks in advance

Not really sure if im giving you the answer you are looking for but the TurboGrafx and PC Engine are the same system just different region names like Sega Genesis and Mega Drive or Super Nintendo and Super Famicom. The SuperGrafx was an updated and more powerful version of the PC Engine but only has 6 games for it. The TurboDUO is a PC Engine and CD all in one. If you are looking to emulate these through Retroarch I would recommend using the SuperGrafx core since it will actually do all of them.

TurboGrafx-16 are PC Engine are essentially the same thing - TG16 is the North American version and PCE is the European version. Turbo Duo is a combo console of TurboGrafx-16 and TurboGrafx-CD. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the JVC X-Eye but it's essentially the same thing but for Sega CD. The TurboGrafx-16 had a CD add-on attachment like the Sega CD to the Genesis - the Turbo Duo and X-Eye are the single consoles that have the combined functionality. SuperGrafx is a later iteration with beefed up hardware and was only released in Japan. There are only 7 games exclusive to it though and I believe two of those actually still work on a regular PC Engine. EDIT: Beat me to it haha

No, you'd actually do the opposite, assuming you want them to all be under the platform of "TurboGrafx". Scrape-as basically indicates where you want it to pull the metadata from and the "Platform" is what platform you want to put them in within your Launchbox library, so if you want them all to be under the "TurboGrafx" platform in your game library, that's the platform you'd choose, regardless of the fact that they may not actually be TurboGrafx games (there are PC Engine exclusive games). I have them all under either TurboGrafx-16 or TurboGrafx-CD, despite the fact that some of these (a lot of them in fact) were never actually released for the TurboGrafx itself (in North America): TurboGrafx-CD-6.png

Yep, you can call them literally anything you want. Just keep in mind that your "associated platforms" section in any relevant emulators need to be named identically in order for LB to understand that you want to associate one with the other. This is why I always stress that point when someone has issues with Retroarch not working - if your platform is named "TurboGrafx-16" in your library and the associated platform in your Retroarch entry is named "TurboGrafx 16" or "TG16" or anything different in any way it won't work.