LaunchBox Community Forums

.bin to .iso conversion

Petrarch

Just now, lordmonkus said:

If you can mount the image with something like Daemon Tools you can re-dump the image to cue + bin using ImgBurn, I have done this a few times with success

The 70ish games are all in seperate folders with the music, .iso, and .cue   How would I get the music in there as well? And could I do all 70 .iso files at once like this?

Just now, lordmonkus said:

With music tracks that method should work but you may have to do all 70 one at a time, though there may be a way to do it automatically but I don't know how.

So open Daemon tools, throw the entire folder in, and then export as .bin+.cue ?

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

What I did was mount the image using Daemon Tools, then opened ImgBurn and generated a cue + bin from that.

Here is a video I did for Saturn games but the same should apply to Playstation games.

In foo-bar there are no convert or quickconvert options for me

Is there any chance of just having LaunchBox only detect .cue, or ignore .bin, by default for the PlayStation platform?  I kind of went off on a "how do I convert my .bin/.cue to ISO" tangent there for a couple hours as well, until I realized the games are in that format for a reason.  Customers never ask for what they want, they ask for what they think someone can do about their problem and the problem for most of the people asking this question is "I don't want 52 instances of my game showing up in LaunchBox just because it has 51 .bin files."

Edited by Shaeree

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Are you talking about during the import process ? If so then you can have your file manager only show .cue files by typing *.cue in the search or you can only select your .cue files in your file manager and drag them in to import them.

Well, I meant when you select "folder".  I don't really want to have to manage or import each game individually either.

Ideally, I put games in platform folders and LaunchBox takes care of the rest automagically, so I'd like to get as close to that as possible.

Edited by Shaeree

But are you talking about for importing roms ?

If you are then yeah all you do during the import process depending on how you are importing is just import the the .cue files.

If you are simply dragging the files from your file manager into Launchbox to start the importer then you just pick the cue files and nothing else.

If you are using the Tools > Import Roms method from with Launchbox when it asks you to browse to your files using the file manager you type *.cue in the search box and only the cue files will show up.

Brad uses the 2nd method in his videos, I use the 1st method above to import my stuff. Either way you can use the file managers search function to narrow down the file type with *.cue.

Yes, I was talking about importing.  Also about design.  Right now, importing is manual, but that's not exactly optimal.  An inability to auto-detect which file is the correct one in a series would seem to affect the program's ability to automatically find added/deleted ROMs in your playstation platform folder, as well as any future ability to auto-detect like EmulationStation does.

Edited by Shaeree

Well you can have Launchbox scan your roms folder for added or removed roms as well after the fact.

As far as "like EmulationStation" is concerned I would much rather have things the way they are over having the frontend arbitrarily decide what it's going to import. I want full control and easy management like the way it is now then to have the frontend deciding just because it finds some new files that I maybe don't want in the list for whatever reason.

Adding ROMs either way works the same the only thing is with LB if you are importing your multi-file disc games into LB's game folder and you use the search method it won't move all of your files to the folder and then nothing will work (unless that has changed in one of the newer updates). If you are importing them but are leaving them in their original location then everything should work fine.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

Adding ROMs either way works the same the only thing is with LB if you are importing your multi-file disc games into LB's game folder and you use the search method it won't move all of your files to the folder and then nothing will work (unless that has changed in one of the newer updates). If you are importing them but are leaving them in their original location then everything should work fine.

Good point about the importing.  I didn't even think of that, because, like most of the people here, I experiment with lots of different frontends and emulators, so yeah, those ROMs need to stay in an app-agnostic location.  Honestly, I'm not even sure what the target audience is for the "move-your-ROMs-to-your-frontend's-folder" feature.

In any case, I was just trying to point out that you'd solve a lot of people's frustration if you just had the "folder" selection for PlayStation ignore .bin files by default.  There's always the option to import individual edge-case files in addition to that, but aren't the vast majority of psx roms .bin/.cue?

29 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

As far as "like EmulationStation" is concerned I would much rather have things the way they are then having the frontend arbitrarily decide what it's going to import. I want full control and easy management like the way it is now then to have the frontend deciding just because it finds some new files that I maybe don't want in the list for whatever reason.

See, I also use Plex, and I think that is the way it (detection and scraping) should be--full automation.  I don't like doing busy-work that can and should be automated.

Edited by Shaeree

4 minutes ago, Shaeree said:

See, I also use Plex, and I think that is the way it should be--full automation.  I don't like doing busy-work that can and should be automated.

Yeah well a media app and an emulator frontend are completely different. Emulation is a hobby that will never be fully automated no matter how hard anyone tries you will still need to get your hands dirty. Worst case scenario if it is fully automated then it breaks you will have tons of people without the ability fix their problems.

Okay... I'm getting a lot of pushback when I suggest design enhancements, and totally I get it.  You guys like it the way it is, you've got a lot of time invested in it, and you don't want some newb jerkface coming out of nowhere saying its design could be better.

I'm not asking for anyone to relinquish control here.  If you haven't used Plex, its detection and scraping are fully automated, but of course it makes mistakes, which is why it has the ability to override with a manual edit or manual re-scrape.

I'm not asking for anything that hasn't already been done by LaunchBox or some other emulation frontend.  Ignoring .bin files--or even ignoring only the .bin files which have a matching .cue--is pretty easy code to write, and as an added bonus, it would be the first step toward full automation.  I'm not asking anyone to solve cold fusion here.  Just a baby step that would help, oh, most of your paying customers.

Edited by Shaeree

I have a post on here asking this exact question from when I joined the only difference was that when they explained it to me I was ecstatic that I could easily use the search and solve my problem because it was a solution that's all I needed. Its really easy to do it this way so I just don't see taking time away from other development.

You aren't getting any push back, you are simply getting explanations about something that is completely unnecessary and I already told you that you can use the scan for added / removed roms tool that is available.

You are using Plex and EmulationStation as examples but those are very specific needs programs, they both know exactly what files are used by the system in place. In the case of Plex it knows to look for specific video files and in the case of EmulationStation it is using Libretro cores and again knows specifically what file types it needs. Launchbox is far more open ended and leaves all of that to the end user because different users use different emulators which of course have their own unique way of handling different files.

And just for the record, both myself and Dos76 are paying customers as well, we are not paid employees here.

• Like 1