twasjesto

This is my PC build - 

• MB - Asus z97i-plus
  • CPU - i7 4790K Devil's Canyon @ 4.0ghz
  • CPU Cooler - Noctua U9S + Noctua 92mm fan
  • RAM - 16GB Hyper X DDR3
  • GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
  • PSU - Corsair SF600
  • STORAGE - 250GB SSD for operating system, 2TB & 3TB Western Digital Black for movies, music, games
  • EXTRA'S - 2x 120mm Venturi Fans
  • MONITOR - 29" Ultrawide LG UM68
  • CASE - Ncase M1 (12.6L)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I had all my games in launch-box but my whole UI has drastically change because of Mute64 . How he set up his PC UI inspired me; playing games, watching movies, Media central on his couch, with just a Xbox controller. Credits to him for answering my questions and helping me set it up.

Programs used -

• Kodi (Xperience1080 Skin)
  • Controller companion (best $3 spent, control your whole PC with a controller, the program disables onces you open a game/program in full screen, so you're able to use your controller for a game once you open it on full screen. You're able to configure you're whole controller layout! Recommend 10/10)
  • BIG BOX (If you do not own the premium launchbox, i suggest buying it, worth every penny. Happy that I had a chance to win it in a giveaway, THANKS LAUNCHBOX!) & Steam Big picture
  • Xbox Capture shortcut-[Window + G] (to take screenshots / record gameplay)

Kodi 8_14_2016 3_38_52 AM.pngKodi 8_14_2016 3_38_58 AM.pngKodi 8_14_2016 3_39_05 AM.pngKodi 8_14_2016 3_39_08 AM.pngKodi 8_14_2016 3_40_29 AM.pngKodi 8_14_2016 3_40_32 AM.pngKodi 8_14_2016 3_41_00 AM.png

BIG-BOX (ultrawide edition)

Thanks niglurion for a wonderful theme

LaunchBox_Big_Box_8_14_2016_4_33_13_AM.pngLaunchBox_Big_Box_8_14_2016_4_35_34_AM.pngLaunchBox_Big_Box_8_14_2016_4_39_03_AM.png

To do list

- Edit my launchbox emulators and optimize it for my games

- Organize my collection

Edited by twasjesto
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, CliveBarker said:

Hey twasjesto, have you tried any of the newest emulators like CEMU, Xenia, Citra? Do they run well?

I want to buy a new CPU but Intel's Skylake is freaking expensive in my country so i´ll probably have to go with a Haswell one.

I have CEMU, its crazy how the developers been working their butt offs. From the early versions to now, my games been looking better, but its still quite not there. I get 60fps in mario kart 8, 3d world, etc but there's still lots of hiccups and stuttering occurring. Playable though.

I haven't tried Xenia, ill get back to you with that. As for citra, tried pokemon and some pokemon games and they run ok. 

Wish all emulators progressed as fast as CEMU.

Ah thats a shame, in the U.S you can basically buy haswell and skylake at the same prices.

• Like 1

And you tested them without overclocking? Thanks for the info man I knew Haswell is awesome but wanted to be sure if the small 10% IPC skylake increment made a difference.

"Wish all emulators progressed as fast as CEMU" ....Yeah, I am still waiting for the original Xbox emulator to be functional, my Xbox died years ago and all my games are there accumulating dust.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CliveBarker said:

And you tested them without overclocking? Thanks for the info man I knew Haswell is awesome but wanted to be sure if the small 10% IPC skylake increment made a difference.

"Wish all emulators progressed as fast as CEMU" ....Yeah, I am still waiting for the original Xbox emulator to be functional, my Xbox died years ago and all my games are there accumulating dust.

I have not overclock yet. My cpu is at 4.0ghz when I bought it. What cpu do you have now? Isn't there going to be a new cpu coming up soon? Unless you're in a budget.

Unfortunately, I feel like no one is up for that challenge in making a Xbox emulator, I guess because the system is super old and theres only a handful wanting this.. Crazy how all the Nintendo consoles/handhelds has been emulated nicely, wish we can see more ps/xbox emulators being worked on

Edited by twasjesto

I have a very old AMD cpu and it bottlenecks my computer really bad, specially since I love to play RTS and Grand Strategy games. Those games are heavily cpu bound due to AI calculations and such. Emulators also rely on the cpu.

Yes, there is the new AMD Zen cpus coming but they are going to focus on the enthusiast market first ($$$) so I think they will be around 400-500$ and that's too much for me right now.

There is a Xbox emulator project in development called Xqemu but the developer struggles to find free time to develop it because of real life issues. The emulator boots some games but at this rate, we are going to have a PS4 and xbone emulator first hehe

oh bummer, haven't really got into RTS/GS games, any pc game recommendations? are you able to use dolphin/pcsx2 with ur cpu, btw, what case do you have?

Pretty hefty, not familiar with AMD I just know their components is more wallet friendly. Only picked up an i7 because I video edit and rendering speed is godly! When I do build a new PC I'm forsure going to just get an i5 and save $100.

Ah man, that'd be nice having ps4/xbone emulators. You own any of the current gen consoles?

Well, RTS are somewhat more fast paced but it depends on you really. The more you play a single campaign the more things you will have to micromanage and if you are not used to that, expect some headaches.

If you are into war oriented games, I recommend you the Total War series. Medieval II Total war is my favorite because it has incredible mods, If you want a newer one, Shogun 2 Total War and Total War Warhammer are awesome.

If you like something more paceful I recommend you the Civilization series. Civ IV is my favorite.

For Grand Strategy, Paradox games are incredible. The one I recommend to people that is new to the genre is Crusader Kings II. Lots of dark humor, historical events, mods and political schemes you can expect with that game. If you want something more advanced( but you really need to be very very patient) then Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis and Victoria.

For Space strategy, Stellaris is a pretty good starting point along with Endless Space. You can then jump into more hardcore ones like Galactic Civilizations 2 and many more out there.

Endless Legend is a pretty unique one and a good starting point too.

I stopped buying consoles after the first Xbox, Steam and GOG don't really let me with more money to spend hehe.

On 8/14/2016 at 3:07 PM, CliveBarker said:

Well, RTS are somewhat more fast paced but it depends on you really. The more you play a single campaign the more things you will have to micromanage and if you are not used to that, expect some headaches.

If you are into war oriented games, I recommend you the Total War series. Medieval II Total war is my favorite because it has incredible mods, If you want a newer one, Shogun 2 Total War and Total War Warhammer are awesome.

If you like something more paceful I recommend you the Civilization series. Civ IV is my favorite.

For Grand Strategy, Paradox games are incredible. The one I recommend to people that is new to the genre is Crusader Kings II. Lots of dark humor, historical events, mods and political schemes you can expect with that game. If you want something more advanced( but you really need to be very very patient) then Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis and Victoria.

For Space strategy, Stellaris is a pretty good starting point along with Endless Space. You can then jump into more hardcore ones like Galactic Civilizations 2 and many more out there.

Endless Legend is a pretty unique one and a good starting point too.

I stopped buying consoles after the first Xbox, Steam and GOG don't really let me with more money to spend hehe.

I already got overwhelmed by all these titles lol! I heard of civ iv and stellaris, for the other games ill check out some gameplay and trailers. Always open to play new games or more specifically new genres. so thanks for the list!

• 2 weeks later...

c'mon. an  i7 4790K  and gtx970 to play videos and run Dolphin? I mean, unless you are trying to emulate uhd resolutions on xenoblade/laststory this machine seems wasted as a htpc. just my personal opinion. But im all about price/performance and the right tool for the job. Good future-proofing though.

ci mean my main rig is a 6700k w/ gtx 980. but thats my main rig. I run dolphin on an i3 3120 with no issues. Though a few pcsx2 games need optimization. using integrated graphics. I cant imagine using an i7 and 970 for emulation until cemu has 99% compatibility and pcsx3/Citra come MUCH further.

My HTPC's are my main rigs. I do have a desk but it is just an i3 all in one and I can't remember the last time I sat down at it. I guess it comes down to preferences when I build I don't go high end top of the line but I'm not skimping either its better to have extra power and not need it than to need it and not have it.