LaunchBox Community Forums

My BigBox inside a Box

Mute64

Hello fellow LaunchBox users. Yesterday i spent a good 3 hours writing about my experiences with emulation and front ends over the last decade or more .... unfortunately i wrote this up on my phone and i mistakenly deleted my write up before posting it :( so today i thought i would share a quicker style write up/video of my Bigbox/Kodi/SteamBig Piture setup via pictures and a video, and maybe further down the line i will discuss my previous issues, workarounds, emulation setups, front-ends experiences and just general stuff like my future projects and what not. While there is still a few issues here and there the setup is pretty much 100% usable with a controller ( with the help of Controller Compainion  of course ) Here are some Photos of the PC:

http://imgur.com/a/90WW9

http://imgur.com/a/KvVUw

Here is a video of the Software i use: 

Here is a future project:

http://imgur.com/a/atWPN

Edited by Mute64

In the video ( once its finished processing ) it will say down the bottom left what hardware is in it. Altho that hardware will be changing in the future Currently it is an i3 4150 8 gig ram 120 gig m.2ssd 2x 1TB HDDS 750 Ti and an AIO 120 water loop. in the future i could put an i5/i7 in there and a itx 970 or r9 nano...

Yea i have had nothing but bad luck with AMD with there cpus and GPU's but the r9 nano is so dam small..... but yea a itx 970 would be the jam, and im sure it would be plenty enough horse power for upcoming emulators/games. My current build handles everything that i have on the build im actually really supersized how well it plays some of those modern AAA titles.

SentaiBrad said I'm afraid it won't handle the PS3 or 360 Emulators, but by the time they are finally ready to go we'll be a lot farther in GPU power.
yea ild say by then i would have the latest itx GPU and i7 cpu that i can get my hands on. ps3 and ekbok emulation is coming along rather nice i must say. Oh by the way i would like to vinyl wrap my mini itx case in the LaunchBox theme, who would i contact to get ahold of the artwork? Wraping things is pretty much my job, here is a few photos of my last project http://imgur.com/a/nQTbn

Ha, nice @mute64. Awesome video, looks like a lot of work went into that, so thanks. What's your job title? ;) Per the LaunchBox logo, it was a little tiny icon created by someone a long time ago that gave me permissions to use it. Since then @bd000 graciously made and gave me a bigger copy of it. It's still just the logo though, so not sure how well it would work in a pattern. Do you want the Big Box or the LaunchBox one?

Jason Carr said Ha, nice @mute64. Awesome video, looks like a lot of work went into that, so thanks. What's your job title? ;) Per the LaunchBox logo, it was a little tiny icon created by someone a long time ago that gave me permissions to use it. Since then @bd000 graciously made and gave me a bigger copy of it. It's still just the logo though, so not sure how well it would work in a pattern. Do you want the Big Box or the LaunchBox one?
Yea alot of work has and will be still going into it, its almost a full time hobby lol. Im just a sign-writer but in this industry that can varry alot from doing large sticker runs to installing/fabricating building signs to doing car wraps and so on n so forth. Ok kool kool, um both would be great then i can work from there and see what looks best, lol could make a little sticker with the bigbox logo and have it say "BigBox Inside" ya know kinda like the intel inside logo ( https://www.google.com.au/search?q=intel+inside&client=ms-android-optus-au&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqmrnKwrLKAhXJp5QKHUxFD3IQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=TVpb4Aii0-XM_M%3A ) But yea a full wrap would look pretty different, do you no if the artwork is vector?

Jason Carr said Hehehehehe, yes, we do plan on selling merch at some point here. I do have them in vector format, @DOS76. Here you go. :) You should hopefully just be able to remove the blue overlay to get to the standard LaunchBox logo.
Cool cheers ill see what i can do and ill post up the finished product on here when i get around to doing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Update 3 So like i had said before, i added my new GPU but the heat was too much 80C on GPU and 65-70C on the m.2 ssd so as you can see in the linked pictures i did some case moding and added some fans. Temps are now much better and the ssd runs way cooler like 40C... oh i also went to the local hardware store ( bunnings ) and purchased some like draw handles to use as some larger legs to let the new fans breathe better. http://imgur.com/a/DCfzq

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I would have to agree with @CADScott on this one. Why would you want a PI3 over a real gaming PC, one that plays PC games and all available emulated systems? Only real reason would be price point. while you could get a decent emulation machine for older systems with a PI3 its still not going to be able to do what a real PC can do. I have a Ouya and a few Android phones setup to run emulators and they work fine for that but they aren't on par with having a half way decently specced modern PC. Plus only Windows runs LaunchBox and that is reason enough to get a PC to run your emulation needs.

DOS76 said Yeah I would have to agree with @CADScott on this one. Why would you want a PI3 over a real gaming PC, one that plays PC games and all available emulated systems? Only real reason would be price point. while you could get a decent emulation machine for older systems with a PI3 its still not going to be able to do what a real PC can do. I have a Ouya and a few Android phones setup to run emulators and they work fine for that but they aren't on par with having a half way decently specced modern PC. Plus only Windows runs LaunchBox and that is reason enough to get a PC to run your emulation needs.
Yea this is my exact reason for choosing a PC over a PI3, i have the latest n great PC games on my mini rig there +thousands of retro games. The pc is an all in one everything its bloody great, and what awsome about it its very couch friendly as in it all works with either my remote or a controller, for example everyday after work i like to catch up on my youtube subscribers so when i get home i flik on my htpc it boots up and i grab my remote, then navigate to the youtube Kodi app and watch a few youtube vids, then i back out of that and check who is streamimg on twitch, then when my flatemate gets home i navegate to Dirt Rally and we have turn by turn on each track, then an epic moment happens and i push the reord button on my remote and record and upload the last 1:30 to youtube and this is all via a remote or controller.... soo happy with the build. By the way here is the epic moment from night https://youtu.be/t6tyEz21CGA