LaunchBox Community Forums

CPU spike every 6 seconds while idle

ckp

Hi,

When LB is sitting there idle on any platform, I see the cpu spike 5-10% for launchbox.exe about every 6 seconds. This is without any videos or images showing or a game even selected.

What is it doing (trying to refresh the images maybe?)? Can it be tuned?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, ckp said:

yeah that video does exhibit the 5 or 6 second "spike" or activity interval. you may have 8 cores, so it's really .08 x 8.  

Sorry i'm confused, or stupid, or both, probably the stupid part though. I really don't know what you are seeing that i'm not. I mean who sits there with Launchbox running watching the cpu? I mean surely the point of Launchbox/Bigbox is to hide the underlying OS as to only see your games. So why would a possible slight spike if at all distract from that? Sorry it's a honest question.

Seems related to my issue.

Here's the pic i posted in that topic.

Untitled.jpg

Personally speaking, i can feel these spikes as small performance drops and it affects my experience since i use it a lot and every 6 seconds i get a spike/delay/stutter/mini freeze. It happens when i browse, edit, look at stuff, etc. So it's not just a background thing, at least for me since other people seem to not care about it or not notice it and don't find it as a problem at all.

Edited by Imgema

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Okay to me that is like nothing at all.

yeah it probably is nothing on stronger systems. may be something on slower systems, not sure.

@neil9000 , the reason you may look at the launchbox process in task manager for cpu usage or ram usage is when you see oddities at regular intervals and try to correlate those oddities to the spikes. so, like if you see the actual LB program stuttering every few seconds (even ever so slightly) or see your games FPS go down only when launched by LB, you start to look at these things for an explanation

Edited by ckp

6 minutes ago, Imgema said:

It happens when i browse, edit, look at stuff, etc. So it's not just a background thing, at least for me since other people seem to not care about it or not notice it and don't find it as a problem at all.

you're not the only one who can see it. i see the micro stutters and crashing LB from scrolling the games list fast just like you do. but, at least on my beastly system, i can avoid the  crashes by not scrolling super fast, and the stutters don't really get in my way enough to really bother me with anything i'm doing.

just tested on my tablet with atom z3740 and the spikes are much more apparent but its an Atom and despite the spikes scrolling and navigating isn't really that slowed down the damn antimalware service executable and wsappx are eating most of my CPU on this system anyway.

• Like 1

yeah, it's probably pretty minor of a thing for a lot of people. but anyway, it seems like Jason always has a keen eye on this stuff and continues to improve and optimize. overall i'm super pleased with LB/BB, and i feel it has been more than worth the money i paid for it.