LaunchBox Community Forums

has anyone had this problem with mame Part II

djwar

Hi all

Yesterday I got this strange error when I was sorting out my mame roms, as soon as I run a game I got this "coin error".

But the weirdest is that only happened to Taito corporation games such as Superman, chuka taisen,etc

I searched online but not much info about itinet.JPGcoin error.JPG

Greetings lordmonkus !

Edited by djwar

I found out, that in real arcades this is a coin jam or jammed coin, sorry

So in emulation, if you set up a button for coins, when you run the game, you keep holding that coin button it will get you into this error, but for me only happened with taito games

So in my case I use a ps3 controller and I have always use same gamepad and same L2 button for coins, as soon as I change the coin mapping for any other button I stopped getting this error. maybe my L2 button is failing

It depends on the game and if there is an option for dipswitch settings or not. If there is the option when you press "Tab" to bring up the menu you will see a menu for dipswitch right away then you just go in there and turn service mode on and restart the game. When the game loads up again it should take you into a menu to change different settings. Find and change the one for freeplay, restart the game, re enter the dipswitch service menu and turn off service mode again.

If there is no dipswitch option in the "Tab" menu pressing "F2" (default key) should take into service mode for the machine and you can change settings in there. If "F2" doesn't work look in the "Tab" menu > Input (general) > Other Controls. You should find a setting called "Service".

This really is something that is game to game and rarely will you find games be the same or even all of them having this feature.

• 2 years later...

Even though this is an old thread I thought I would share something else that works for this. I too get the coin error for a few Cave games as already mentioned above. It might be a pain for some if you do not have a pause button on your controller but I do so it is easily reached. When you press coin, immediately press pause a split second later. The unpause and the credit will have been implemented without getting the error. On my Hori FC4 controller coin is R2 and pause is L2 so pressing one immediately after the other is easy. It has worked for me every time I have done it. Some might find that easier than going in to change a dip switch, as easy as that is also.