LaunchBox Community Forums

NES and SNES games stopped working after update

jallen99

I saw someone else posting this from a couple of months ago, but I didn't understand how they fixed their issue.

I had everything working and running fine a few months ago running version 6.2 of LB. I download 6.8 and now my NES and SNES games will not run.

I'm using RetroArch and I started RA alone, launched the core for either system, and tried running a game from that core and it worked perfectly. But still will not work in LB.

I've checked everything I can think of - making sure that RA is called as the emulator, and that the correct core is called under the emulator config. Loading the games call for the launch of RA with the exact same cores I loaded separately. I had not made any changes to the cores, ROMs, or their locations over the last 2 months. I've actually been working with configuring my arcade/mame games and haven't messed with the NES or SNES games since then. All arcade games as well as Atari and N64 games that use RA launch just fine under LB. ONLY the NES and SNES games are affected, and NONE of those games work now.

Any advice? It seems weird that there's at least one more person with the exact same problem for the same reason.

Thanks for any help.

Hi @jallen99, I'm sure this is a configuration issue of some sort, as these things don't just break. That said, I do know that it gets confusing and there are a lot of places that have to match up, so we should probably step back and take a look to see how we could simplify it. The most common cause for confusion with Retroarch is of course the cores. Make sure the command line parameters for the platforms listed in the Retroarch emulator are using the right cores, and that the files for those cores do exist in your Retroarch cores folder.

Thanks Jason for your offer of help!

Let me walk you through my setup one step at a time to see if you see any potential problems. As I said, none of the NES or SNES games are loading, though other games that use RetroArch, such as the Atari 2600, are loading with no issues. So let me focus on one game and walk you through it, the SNES game "Super Metroid".

I can go into my RetroArch folder, launch the RA application (retroarch.exe), select "Load Core" (I choose Snes9x (1.53 updated) to load), then I select "Load Content"/"Select File", I scroll to my "ROMs" folder, select Super Metroid, and "Load Archive with Core" and the game comes up perfectly.

Looking at LaunchBox now: I right click on the "Super Metroid" box and choose to edit. There's the "ROM File (Emulation is enabled)" line that points to the correct location, I even relocated it with browse (Games/ROMs/SNES/Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja).zip). Going to the "Emulation" tab, "Retroarch" is selected and the check box "Use an emulator to play this game" is checked. If I choose to edit the emulator, I see that the "Emulator Application Path" is correct but I go ahead and relocate it under browse just in case (retroarch.exe). The "Sample Command" line reads "retroarch.exe "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE" and the box "Attempt to hide console window on startup/shutdown" is checked. Nothing else is checked. Under the "Associated Platforms" tab, the SNES platform reads -L "cores\snes9x_libretro.dll" and the box under Default Emulator is checked (while we're here, the NES platform line reads -L "cores\nestopia_libretro.dll"). To verify, in the RetroArch "cores" folder are the cores "snes9x_libretro.dll" and "nestopia_libretro.dll". I also have the snes9x_next and quicknes cores but haven't used them.

After verifying these locations, I try to run the game again to no joy. What is my next step?

Edited by jallen99

Seriously?!?! 

lordmonkus called it! The names of my platforms in LB were not exactly the same as the names called out in the Associated Platform window.

Unbelievable! Well, it works now. Thanks to lordmonkus for figuring out my issue, and to Jason Carr for always being there for idiots like me.

Now I'm off to solve my next problem! :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, sorry to revive a very old thread. But I have this exact same issue. Happens only with Snes Files. Except one hitch, I have done everything stated above and all is identical and matching perfectly. I have spent hours on this now and my brain is fried. Any Ideas?

Please Help I need Donkey Kong Country!!!!