LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't Wait to Get Started

GreekMagic

A big thank you to everyone in this community before I begin. I've gone through the forums, watched the tutorials and soaked in as much as possible...now I need some advice, and apologize if the answers were missed elsewhere. 

A week ago I almost bought a Retropi 2p customized build for $600 and had to pull back. I loved the set up, the retro feel, but after doing some research, I realized that I want more - I want to run LaunchBox. Whether it can't be done or difficult to run LB on a RetroPi, I feel it's best to build a mini computer to run everything and hook it up to an arcade fightstick. I would like suggestions for the following package:

- 2p arcade setup (ie x-arcade tankstick)
***which one should I buy?

- Mini computer to run Windows/LB
***what specs do I need, dual or quad core? I would like to play all emus

I plan on hooking the computer up to my flatscreen and plugging in the fightstick for arcade games and using wireless game controllers for everything else. I'm looking forward to buying lifetimes on LB and EmuMovies. I really want to have the full package with everything running smoothly. Money is not an issue, however I know there are a couple options where I can get the most bang for my buck.

@GreekMagicwelcome to the community. I commend you on reconsidering buying that RPi2 and deciding to buy a PC instead.

Ok for the arcade setup I'll leave that to people more knowledgeable than myself. As to the Windows side of things are you doing a traditional desktop build an Arcade cab or a HTPC setup? I have two fairly small mini ITX builds using this case it allows for a full size graphics card has USB 3.0 front ports and has room for multiple drives using some cool mounting stuff that comes with the case. I put an Asus Z170I mobo in it with an Intel i5 6500, 16GB of DDR4 RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750TI and it is a very nice HTPC in my kitchen. This build isn't all that expensive but you could probably get an older i5 and it will do pretty much the same thing my 3330 plays Cemu and all the other emulators I throw at it but if you are building a new PC why buy old parts. One con is the size of the case limits the board and the boards of this size while nice won't have as many add on slots and features as a full sized board would but if you want a small case you live with it. There are many more small PC's out there but the smaller you get the more limited your graphics options become. 

That said LB is an absolute beast and I run it on every thing from current gen processors to core 2 duos from 07. From Desktops with 16GB of RAM to tablets with 1GB of RAM (you must turn off the RAM cache for this to work on the 1GB)  so it will work on everything but hardware will limit your performance somewhat and which emulators that you can use at a workable rate will also be reflected by your hardware specs.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

@GreekMagicwelcome to the community. I commend you on reconsidering buying that RPi2 and deciding to buy a PC instead.

Ok for the arcade setup I'll leave that to people more knowledgeable than myself. As to the Windows side of things are you doing a traditional desktop build an Arcade cab or a HTPC setup? I have two fairly small mini ITX builds using this case it allows for a full size graphics card has USB 3.0 front ports and has room for multiple drives using some cool mounting stuff that comes with the case. I put an Asus Z170I mobo in it with an Intel i5 6500, 16GB of DDR4 RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750TI and it is a very nice HTPC in my kitchen. This build isn't all that expensive but you could probably get an older i5 and it will do pretty much the same thing my 3330 plays Cemu and all the other emulators I throw at it but if you are building a new PC why buy old parts. One con is the size of the case limits the board and the boards of this size while nice won't have as many add on slots and features as a full sized board would but if you want a small case you live with it. There are many more small PC's out there but the smaller you get the more limited your graphics options become. 

That said LB is an absolute beast and I run it on every thing from current gen processors to core 2 duos from 07. From Desktops with 16GB of RAM to tablets with 1GB of RAM (you must turn off the RAM cache for this to work on the 1GB)  so it will work on everything but hardware will limit your performance somewhat and which emulators that you can use at a workable rate will also be reflected by your hardware specs.

I personally am not sure yet what type of build/case Im going for. I dont think it really matters, but since I'll be using it for just gaming/movies, I imagined it to be portable. Could go either way. Also, Im seeing a lot of 4TB drives to hold all files. Does it run as smooth with an external drive?

It definitely would run good with an external 4TB drive especially if you get a board that supports USB3.0. I'm a total Asus fanboy (except their tech support that is terrible) so if you are just looking to get something small and very portable this right here is nice with discrete NVIDIA graphics built in. Damn if I needed another PC that would be the one I would get. I actually want one now.

15 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

It definitely would run good with an external 4TB drive especially if you get a board that supports USB3.0. I'm a total Asus fanboy (except their tech support that is terrible) so if you are just looking to get something small and very portable this right here is nice with discrete NVIDIA graphics built in. Damn if I needed another PC that would be the one I would get. I actually want one now.

Thats exactly the direction I needed. Thanks DOS!

As for a dual fightstick, aside from an xarcade tankstick, are there any recommendations?