LaunchBox Community Forums

Where are Custom Fields stored within the XMLs?

ZedSpot

I have been going through my collection and revamping all the metadata I include in the game.  One that is very important for me is the number of players.  Now, within Launchbox I can easily edit a custom "Player" field to include this information.  But when I go into the XML I cannot find that info anywhere.  Can anyone give insight into where this data may be stored?

Thanks.

Hey Jason, 

One follow up question, I'm not sure if you can shed any light on.  In the XML it appears to me as there is no order to the list of games.  It's not stored alphabetically by title or even Launchbox ID.  It doesn't appear to be listed by date added or any other criteria of the metadata.  I'm hoping to find a way to edit the XML directly so that I can batch some of this information, but I can't for the life of me figure out why the games are in the order they are.

Thanks for your help with the previous question.  I seriously love your work with this project and try to spread the word about it to anyone who will listen!

• 1 year later...

@ZedSpot Sorry I missed this. There truly isn't any particular order to the way the games are stored in the XML. When the order doesn't matter, it's always faster just to write them out in random order. The good news is that if you're looking to generate XML, you don't have to worry about the order.

@mcfilmmakers Unfortunately that may require a plugin for the moment. There's a method that you can use called SelectedGame.GetAllCustomFields() which returns an array of ICustomField, but I don't think there's a good way to get at the data in XAML without using a plugin currently.

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2017 at 11:40 AM, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately that may require a plugin for the moment. There's a method that you can use called SelectedGame.GetAllCustomFields() which returns an array of ICustomField, but I don't think there's a good way to get at the data in XAML without using a plugin currently.

How would one go about creating such a plugin? I'm pretty well-versed when it comes to programming but have no experience with XAML or C#. I've been able to use a ListBox in XAML to expose all of the custom fields for a given game, but I can't filter it down to just the one field I want. 

15 hours ago, KobraKid1337 said:

How would one go about creating such a plugin? I'm pretty well-versed when it comes to programming but have no experience with XAML or C#. I've been able to use a ListBox in XAML to expose all of the custom fields for a given game, but I can't filter it down to just the one field I want. 

There are lots of C# tutorials out there, so I would start there and learn the basics; it should go pretty quick. You shouldn't need to learn XAML for that in particular. You can just use a WPF custom control and output it directly from C#.