LaunchBox Community Forums

Tons of popups when launching broken MAME game

ckp

Weird thing that always happens to me if I try to launch a MAME game from LB when the game rom doesn't happen to work for whatever reason. I get bombarded by tons of odd textual popups that force me to click OK on each new one many many time until the popups are over and then I can finally delete the game. The popups have the same text in them every time regardless of the bad game I try to launch. 

Any clue what that's all about? It's extremely annoying :)

It shouldn't be the same text for every game. Either you are getting messages saying you are missing a rom that Mame expects to find for that rom and that may be the same for several games if they are of the same main board family.

Another messages that can come up would be the message that is either red or yellow telling you that the game you are loading is not 100% emulated and you may encounter problems.

Another is the games information like resolution and refresh rate and that can be disabled in in the mame.ini, look for skip_gameinfo and set it to 1.

The last is the stupid nag screen which can only be disabled in 3 ways:

1) Compile your own mame.exe with the nag screens diabled.

2) Download one already compiled with them turned off, the hyperspin site is usually somewhat up to date with the pre compiled exe with nag screens turned off though it usually takes a few days to catch up to the latest after a new release like right now with 178.

3) the last way is to use GrooveyMame which lets you disable the nag screen with a couple of lines in the mame.ini.

yeah, it's LB. it's not coming from the emulator. the popups are coming from LB. it's not a huge deal because i think this only happens for bad MAME games, so I just delete those when I encounter them.

edit: actually i guess they could be coming from the MAME emulator but the emulator never actually comes up. i "think" if i were to run those just with MAME, i wouldn't get those popups but i'm not 100% sure. i'll pay more attention next time.

Edited by ckp

I had an issue the other day after adding Emerson Arcadia 2001 games to MAME. MAME was saying something was wrong with my naming and then individually listing games to find a match or something or other and I had to click enter over and over again so I ended up using Task Manager to end MAME. My issue was that I named it Emerson Arcadia 2001 but in the associated platform put Emerson Arcadia so that was causing MAME to throw this strange error. I'm not sure if that was similar to your error.

it sounds very similar. i would sat that's the same issue. i can press enter or click ok a specific number of times and it will eventually stop. didn't need to kill MAME. 

problem is that i don't know which of my 1000s of MAME games are going to do this when i try launching from LB.  =/

So some MAME games work and others don't. Have you tried the ones that don't outside of LB to see if they work then. Do your MAME ROM set and MAME version match? If not maybe they are one of the games that needs to be updated to the latest version or they no longer work in MAME.