LaunchBox Community Forums

Hopw to remove duplicates?

Bilbotorm

Hi all

just discovered launchbox recently and I have to admit i love it and took lifetime support immediately.

I start added some roms, full sets I had since a long time but wanted to start removing duplicates.

I searched in the forums and found 2 ways:

- custom filters by region and only keep USA, but it's not a good way for me, as it removes exclusive japan titles for example, I only want to remove roms that I have 3 or more times (japan, europe, etc.)

- use launchboxtools, but unfortunately, I am under the impression that it was working for previous versions, when the xml was one big stuff, but now it's split by plateform

is there anyway to achieve what i am trying to do ?

thanks !

Bil

@Bilbotorm if you have the games already imported another way to do it is in LaunchBox, click on the platform you want to strip games from, click on game and while holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard click on each game you want to delete, when finished, right mouse click and then click on delete.  If you do not want to delete the Roms and only the Games from LaunchBox/BigBox make sure the Allow deleting roms when deleting games is not checked under options General in LaunchBox.  See screenshot.

delete.png

I would also enable to show the file name in the game details side bar, that way when you click on a game, you can look to the right to see the name of the game. I used to download full sets like you, but then I started downloading No-Intro sets only, and manually parsing out games. I used Windows Search to get rid of sports titles with some common words, then I would go through and remove some stuff, and or add translated roms (individually or from packs) to the folder. I would then import the folder in to LB. Like Maddoc says, deleting the rom files from within LaunchBox exists, and holy crap is it a life saver. It used to not be there, and it helps a ton. Just make sure to say no on the second dialogue if you do not want to delete the rom files (for re-importing games).

• Like 1

Thanks both for the quick reply

So in short, you advise not to import all roms but only after manually filtering ? not very convenient, I would have loved to have "hide duplicates" in LaunchBox, able to ask which region to prefer when it sees 3 roms same name but only with (japan)/(europe)/(usa) at the end. Any way to get this at some point in a future release ?

Another question, if I do as Maddoc advise and start removing myself duplicates, I saw that I can launch a cleanup, and it removes images; which is great.

Any way to remove videos from emumovies as well ? I have the feeling that Launchbox does not clean manuals, videos, etc. right ?

thanks !

Bil

Yes, LaunchBox only currently cleans out images. Also, if that feature has not been requested (It might have) then you can certainly request it at the top of the forums by follow Issues/Requests. The BitBucket holds tickets and requests where people can vote on feature requests.

I'm sure filtering by region has come up before, but most users want to display everything or have a curated library. There is a group of people who don't particularly care and just want to play games, and others want their set ups in a very specific way. For NES or Game Boy games, realistically the entire set, including all differing roms, wont take up a lot of space. However, once you start getting to SNES, GBA, N64, PS1 and onward, that could eat up a lot of space. So usually, people curate. By saying this, I just mean that it doesn't come up too often surrounding consoles (except to be able to sort by region, not hide or delete by region). For something like Arcade systems it is almost required to not import every file as 1 game, because multiple files can be for one game. In this case, there is an internal list of file names etc etc.