LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box will not launch

spacegoathlz

Ok, after my CPU crapped out and I replaced the Mobo & CPU I now have a new, interesting, and frustrating problem.

My LB refuses to launch Big Box. 

Desktop version works fine. When I go to switch (or try to launch BB direct) I get the splash logo, and hear the "initializing Big Box" and then.......nothing. 

It shows in my task manager as running at what looks like the right range of resources used if it was running, but that's it. 

I have to kill it from task manager to be able to re-launch the desktop version. 

I downloaded a clean install, and it worked for a couple of launches with just 1-2 platforms/games in it, so it shouldn't be a dependency issue. Now that I am back up to 4k games, it won't launch. <---is that it? I've waited as long as 20 mins with nothing, thinking maybe it was just taking forever to load that 1st timr since no cache images etc.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

So it never pops up on the taskbar and you can't alt tab to it?

That is correct. Just in task manager, where I have to go to kill it. (It shows using disk, memory, etc.......resources in values you would expect if it was running normally. I cannot "switch to" through the task manager either.

Odd. Try playing with the BigBoxSettings.xml file to see if anything helps, like switching out the video playback engine or similar. Try disabling game controllers, etc. That would help to try and isolate the issue. You can also delete the BigBoxSettings.xml and Settings.xml files to go back to the default settings which might help too. But this issue is pretty odd; it's the first I'm hearing of it. Are you on Windows 10?

Hey Jason. 

I don't know how deep you want to dig in with this. My LB/BB I use for actual gaming works just fine. 

The one I am having trouble with, I combine with Chromecast to use for my media server. 

Kodi is not exactly user friendly, and Plex goes to the other extreme with almost no customization, so I had been using BB. The ease+customization more than makes up for not being able to scrape metadata that I like to put in manually anyway. 

I use MPC-HC as my emulator, and the movie takes the place of the game. 

I have tried deleting the settings, with no luck. 

A fresh install however, will allow for BB to a point, then quits. 

I'll have more time to check it out later, hopefully I'll have some more details then.

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2016 at 11:55 PM, spacegoathlz said:

Ok, after my CPU crapped out and I replaced the Mobo & CPU I now have a new, interesting, and frustrating problem.

My LB refuses to launch Big Box. 

Desktop version works fine. When I go to switch (or try to launch BB direct) I get the splash logo, and hear the "initializing Big Box" and then.......nothing. 

It shows in my task manager as running at what looks like the right range of resources used if it was running, but that's it. 

I have to kill it from task manager to be able to re-launch the desktop version. 

I downloaded a clean install, and it worked for a couple of launches with just 1-2 platforms/games in it, so it shouldn't be a dependency issue. Now that I am back up to 4k games, it won't launch. <---is that it? I've waited as long as 20 mins with nothing, thinking maybe it was just taking forever to load that 1st timr since no cache images etc.

Any ideas?

put the actual big box aplication back in the luanch box folder...?