LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch question - backup of settings

ckp

Here is an easy one you RA experts will know for sure.

Before I attempt to add custom game keyboard mappings (for my x-arcade dual joystick) by mapping it through: settings > input > p1 input binds / p2 input binds (i'm not sure if this is at core-less level or within each core, but that's what I read on the RA forum), I would like to make a backup of whatever RA file it is that has all my current related settings so I can restore it after I destroy myself :)

I was also told that if I unplug my xbox 360 controller, then doing this should make my x-arcade work in game. And plugging xbox 360 back in should take the control back.

Thanks!

The RetroArch.cfg is the config you're looking for. You can also use custom configs and load them on demand per core (the -C command in the Associated Platforms tab), I have several cores set up with custom configs. Don't forget that there is also a default option in that same settings menu you're in, just in case.

If someone can decipher what this RA line means, I think it will help me have a clue on the mappings. haha

User1 B button(down)     1(N/A)(Key:z)

I "guess" this is the setting for the retro pad B button? But what do all those other things mean for its current setting???!! What's (down), N/A, Key:z)

And which settings are the right ones for the x-arcade joystick? Dpad? left analog? right analog? Outside of RA, my x-arcade just moves up/down/left/right for player 1 joystick and just prints letters for up/down/left/right for the 2 player joystick.

Edited by ckp

i'm thinking about trying to find if other keys are already in use and assigned that are already assigned to my x-arcade mappings.

i opened the retroarch.cfg and searched for "r" which is my right joystick UP and found input_rewind = "r" as well. also "f" which is my DOWN is already assigned to fullscreen toggle (that explains that weird one!!). what a mess! hahaha

10 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Why aren't you just using the controller input options and editing your controls in there? Don't need to mess with the cfg manually at all.

That's what I did at first. But finding the duplicate keys was hard that way. Anyway, it's apparently no easy task to do what I'm trying to do, although it sure should be. Even after I had it set without duplicates, the x-arcade wasn't able drive the games.

Edited by ckp

I love the x-arcade unit. The only place I've ever had a problem is RA. It is so easy to use everywhere else because it just acts as a keyboard.

I don't know what the deal is with RA. I seem to get better emulator results with stand alone also. I'm beginning to become and anti RA person :)

But yes, if the x-arcade appeared to apps as a gamepad like xbox 360, my world would be a whole lot happier!! 

Is your zero delay thing a stand alone unit like x-arcade or just pieces that have to be installed into a cabinet's control holes?

Edited by ckp

Yeah it is in a cabinet but it would be super easy to build either a one player box with the USB out the back or a two player setup.This is what I got it is super easy to wire once you look at the guys picture in the comments that tells you to make sure you have it wired correctly and how to do so I never would have figured it out on my own probably glad I saw this before working on it.buttons.JPG

• Like 1

If your arcade stick is just emulating a keyboard, then open it's program and change the stick buttons to what RetroArch automatically utilizes, otherwise it's as simple as going to the option in RetroArch, select the option then pressing the button you want. Utilizing custom configs per platform will allow you to swap control schemes automatically when you load the platform.