LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to make a custom "system"

heelsinc

Yes, of course. You can add or create what ever you want. If you are creating a section that is systemless though (a compilation of games across multiple systems), then it would be a smarter idea to use Custom Filters instead. Otherwise, you can create a specially named system and scrape it as another one so that the media can get downloaded properly. If you have multiple games from multiple systems, not only will there be no metadata because your custom system has no home to scrape from, but it will be a mess to try and set them up for emulators.

It will be a lot of manual work depending on how many games you are planning on importing in to your custom platform but I believe if you do it one game or system specific games eg: nes you can choose the platform to be your custom one, then tell it to scrape the NES and choose the emulator as long as you didn't set a default emulator for the custom platform. You will probably have to have a line in the associated platforms window for each emulator to have your custom platform.

The best solution is Custom Filters. In LaunchBox, on the left, above all your platforms is a button, click it and then click on Custom Filters. From there, click the + in the left pane and set your settings. You can make a custom filter based on several factors and you can display these in Big Box as well.

Well, I was gonna do some examples, but custom filters keeps crashing my LaunchBox install (I have a ton of games). You should be able to name it, select the bubble that isn't the exact value, but rather has this value, then set certain qualifiers up. So you can specify specifically what you want. So you can try WWF or WCW in the title for example. I would have a more exact answer, but it just crashed for a 3rd time. Honestly, the custom filters does need a bit of updating, but they should be able to do this job. I had a custom filter set up for my favorite JRPG's for example.

first, i would just edit one of the games, like one of your wrestling ones. right click it and choose edit. click the Custom Fields tab. Under name field enter something like Category, and next to that column under Value enter something like Wrestling. click ok. you just created a category for wrestling games.

then i do a bulk edit by selecting all the games i want, so maybe like the wrestling ones, once they are all selected, I right click and choose Edit.

That brings up the bulk edit wizard. click next, then in the drop down field choose custom field category and for the value type Wrestling. Finish through the wizard.

now if you click on the left (platform) side of LB, you can pick Category as the filter and it will show you the categories of which you will now have one for Wrestling. Click Wrestling and you will see all those games.

but the problem with this method is that Bigbox doesn't let you see this filter!! It only shows in regular Launchbox. so if you want to use it for regular LB you're all set.

this is a major bummer and i think i posted an issue or bug on this before :(

hopefully @Jason Carr will make these custom field filters show in bigbox like they do in regular LB.

• Like 1