LaunchBox Community Forums

AAE - Working

mrhappydude

This is a basic set of steps required to get this working with the best emulator for vector games.

IT took me a bit to get this going but I think I have a working solution to share.

• First you need to download AAE.  http://pages.suddenlink.net/aae/
  • Then roms *Hint:TheRomGuru*
  • Need JoyToKey (or XPadder). http://joytokey.net/en/download You will need to map all the joystick buttons to keyboard buttons in a new joytokey profile including (start + select to exit use button alias under options).  Make it detect the process so it only takes over joystick control when AAE is running.
  • When importing make sure you select import duplicates.
  • On AAE Emulator settings check use filename only without extension.

If you need screen shots let me know.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

dvdbob,

in joytokey you can setup mappings for individual applications.  Simply setup a profile for AAE and it will detect when AAE is running and take over joystick control.  I kill the joytokey process after the application exits and it works very well.  Youtube has videos on how to set this up.

• Like 1

Hi,  much appreciated.  I give that a go over the next few days.  If only I could launch individual games from launchbox, at the moment regardless of what I launch I just get the main AAE menu.  I have this working fine in Rocketlauncher, I took a look at their module thinking I might see a switch I could replicate in the LB config but I couldn't understand any of it :)

Thanks again

Steven

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2017 at 7:20 PM, mrhappydude said:

Capture1 - Is the Emulator Settings

Capture 2 - In the Emulator Folder. Note the Roms must exist here.

Capture 3 and 4 - JoytoKey screen shots.  You will map your joystick buttons and special key combos ie.  Select + Start to exit...etc.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Dude!! You are the man. Many thanks, I was almost ready to throw in the metaphorical towel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrhappydude said:

No worries, glad it helped you out.

Got everything worked out except JoyToKey. I created a profile for AAE but when I launch it through Launchbox the controls do nothing. I am using an Xbox 360 game pad. Is there anyway you could go more in depth about joytokey and maybe post a few more screenshots of your setup. Apologies, but I'm kinda stuck. 

It has been forever since I have had time to play with Launchbox, but I will try and get to it in the next couple of weeks.  Very busy.

There are some great resources on youtube, but I do recall it being very particular but once Joytokey recognized my joystick it just worked.  

I will see if I can copy my profile up here and you can play with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just trying to get it to work, but the main menu has stopped showing. It will start up and I can hear the sounds so I think the menu is there - it just won't show in the screen!

If I load a game (without being able to see which one as the menu won't show), then the game runs fine. If I then quit the game and go back to the menu, I can see the menu! But if I then exit and restart AAE, the menu disappears again. Any help appreciated!

EDIT - it seems to be that turning on the bezel art causes the above problem! Weird. I would like to be able to use the bezel art though. Any ideas?

Edited by Dan