LaunchBox Community Forums

No Cheat Support in Retroarch for any N64 Cores?

jman85

Hey all, I've been rummaging around the net and I can't find anything on cheat support in retroarch for any of the n64 cores available. I was using Project 64 thru rocket launcher and it was mostly ok but you have to config cheats per game in windowed mode thru p64 so I decided to give retroarch a shot for n64 due to the in game play menu feature you can pull up for save states, settings, cheats, etc which can be done with a game controller. Basically I'm saying I want to access cheats from my game pad in big box mode for n64 and aside from within retroarch I have no idea how to go about that.

Edited by jman85
specify

Just open the Retroarch Quick Menu with your controller. By default the the F1 key on your keyboard will open it or if you are using an Xbox 360 controller the "Live" button (the one in the middle) will open it. Or if you are using an Playstation controller the "PS" button will work and even the Logitech controllers has a button as well.

You can also set a button or combo in Retroarch in the bindings.

Thanks for the quick reply, I have it set to L3 and R3 on my controller, it works great and I use it to save, load, and cheat etc. on other platforms no problem, but recently I'm getting ready to stop obsessing on configuring launchbox and hook it up to my tv for big box and enjoy myself. Long story short there is no cheat support for n64 in retroarch and I googled everywhere, I can't find anything. no matter which n64 core you add and how many times you update the cheats in RA there is no file in retroarch cheats for the n64 platform. It makes no sense to me. Its frustrating cause mupen64plus runs great for me but no cheats, and project 64 is just too technical to set up cheats per game on the pc itself, so basically no sitting across the room and pulling up a menu from controller.

Yeah I guess sticking with project64 isn't a bad choice. Sometimes the shiftiness of a program can be mostly resolved when you route it thru rocket launcher it can take over and make things run smoother. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. Retroarch for anything beyond Saturn seems like too much bs to deal with. PlayStation, dream cast, msx mess mame their all so temperamental. 

• 7 months later...