LaunchBox Community Forums

A Background Video for Rom Hacks?

In virtute Dei

Hey guys [emoji3]

I made a Box Art and Logo for Sonic ERaZor as there is nothing out there at the moment for this rom hack, I'm no expert at this but I thought id still share it and see what you guys think [emoji4]

I do apologise in advance if there not any good, still learning [emoji5]

Sonic ERaZor.png

Sonic ERaZor.png

Nice work! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Alright folks. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and I'm taking a stab at a platform video for this category. Below is a link to what I've done so far. Next, I'll be working on transitions and glow effect for the logo and, of course, implementing other art assets for characters. Hope it's alright. I've only been using After Effects for less than two days now! :P

• Like 1

I did a re-do on the video theme. Ver. 2.0 is here:

I really liked the first one but it never hurts to have alternates :)

I have my hacks and fan games separated by platform (SNES, NES, etc) I don't suppose you'd be interested in doing some for individual platforms would you? If so, I have some custom logos I made for this very purpose. I can always do more as well if you don't like those. I'll post them in my thread tomorrow for you to checkout and for anyone wanting to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

I really liked the first one but it never hurts to have alternates :)

I have my hacks and fan games separated by platform (SNES, NES, etc) I don't suppose you'd be interested in doing some for individual platforms would you? If so, I have some custom logos I made for this very purpose. I can always do more as well if you don't like those. I'll post them in my thread tomorrow for you to checkout and for anyone wanting to use them.

I'd be more than happy to put some stuff together. Being new at this, the more practice the better. I still have the original video, so I may re-upload that so there are a couple of options. Just figured since they are made from the same composition, I'd just have one, but maybe the other one would be preferable to some.

I've got an idea kicking around in my head for an MSU-1 theme video (I have a platform category for those) that I'm going to start work on, too. I am also going to do a theme for Super Gameboy and then move on to game-specific themes for Amiga and MSX.

I think I'll start new threads for each platform I start making the game themes for and open them up to requests since I cherry pick all of the games I have for any platform, so I never have every single everything that is available on them.

Definitely upload the stuff you've got and any creative suggestions you might have for them too!

• Like 1

I'd be more than happy to put some stuff together. Being new at this, the more practice the better. I still have the original video, so I may re-upload that so there are a couple of options. Just figured since they are made from the same composition, I'd just have one, but maybe the other one would be preferable to some.

I've got an idea kicking around in my head for an MSU-1 theme video (I have a platform category for those) that I'm going to start work on, too. I am also going to do a theme for Super Gameboy and then move on to game-specific themes for Amiga and MSX.

I think I'll start new threads for each platform I start making the game themes for and open them up to requests since I cherry pick all of the games I have for any platform, so I never have every single everything that is available on them.

Definitely upload the stuff you've got and any creative suggestions you might have for them too!

Sure thing! Just remembered that unfortunately I'm pulling a double shift tomorrow at work :( but I will post when I can and we can toss around ideas. Speaking of MSU-1 games. Does Retroarch have support for those? I haven't got any of those yet but I'm definitely interested in getting a collection going as both Zelda ALTTP and Mega Man X have MSU-1 versions available now. Just wondering what the best emu is for playing those?

• Like 1

You can run MSU1 enhanced games in RA as long as you use one of the bsnes cores since it is the older, SNES-only version of what is now called Higan. Byuu, the author of bsnes/Higan, is also the author of the MSU-1 processor architecture, so as far as I'm aware, games patched for MSU-1 enhancement only work with his emulator (or in the case of RA, a core built on his emulator), so no SNES9X, etc. You can also run them on a real SNES with that SD2SNES flash cartridge.

I used to use standalone Higan, but I currently use the plain bsnes-accuracy core (never tried that mercury one since I don't know what is different about it) for all SNES games, including MSU-1. bsnes-balanced works too, but never use performance since I have a fast enough CPU for the accuracy one.

31 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

Sure thing! Just remembered that unfortunately I'm pulling a double shift tomorrow at work :( but I will post when I can and we can toss around ideas. Speaking of MSU-1 games. Does Retroarch have support for those? I haven't got any of those yet but I'm definitely interested in getting a collection going as both Zelda ALTTP and Mega Man X have MSU-1 versions available now. Just wondering what the best emu is for playing those?

And don't work too hard! I feel for ya pulling a double :/

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 4:58 AM, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

You can run MSU1 enhanced games in RA as long as you use one of the bsnes cores since it is the older, SNES-only version of what is now called Higan. Byuu, the author of bsnes/Higan, is also the author of the MSU-1 processor architecture, so as far as I'm aware, games patched for MSU-1 enhancement only work with his emulator (or in the case of RA, a core built on his emulator), so no SNES9X, etc. You can also run them on a real SNES with that SD2SNES flash cartridge.

I used to use standalone Higan, but I currently use the plain bsnes-accuracy core (never tried that mercury one since I don't know what is different about it) for all SNES games, including MSU-1. bsnes-balanced works too, but never use performance since I have a fast enough CPU for the accuracy one.

I'm having trouble getting any MSU-1 game to run using RA. do you point directly to the ROM or the .bml file in RA? Also, how are your ROMs named? do you have to change the name to match the ROM name in the .bml file? Can't figure this out...

34 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

I'm having trouble getting any MSU-1 game to run using RA. do you point directly to the ROM or the .bml file in RA? Also, how are your ROMs named? do you have to change the name to match the ROM name in the .bml file? Can't figure this out...

You do need to point to the BML in order for the game to launch. As for the ROM name itself, you have a couple of options. You can either edit the BML in any text editor to change the name from "program.rom" (or whatever else it might be called, but usually this is what Higan/bsnes rename ROMs to in the standalone emulator) to the file name and extension that your ROM is named (ex: Super Metroid.sfc) OR you can just rename the ROM itself to "program.rom" (changing the extension name won't break the file) or whatever else it might be looking for. I opted to just rename the ROM with what is in the BML sine I keep the ROM and all soundtrack/FMV files in a folder called "Super Metroid", "Secret of Mana", etc. anyway.

An example of the BML I use for Super Metroid is below, as is a screenshot for what the directory I use looks like, for reference:

Super Metroid -

unverified

cartridge region=NTSC
  rom name=supermetroid_msu1.sfc size=0x300000
  ram name=save.ram size=0x2000
  map id=rom address=00-7f,80-ff:8000-ffff mask=0x8000
  map id=ram address=70-7f,f0-ff:0000-7fff

msu1
    rom name=supermetroid_msu1.msu size=0x0000
    map id=io address=00-3f,80-bf:2000-2007
    track number=1 name=supermetroid_msu1-1.pcm
    track number=2 name=supermetroid_msu1-2.pcm
    track number=3 name=supermetroid_msu1-3.pcm
    track number=4 name=supermetroid_msu1-4.pcm
    track number=5 name=supermetroid_msu1-5.pcm
    track number=6 name=supermetroid_msu1-6.pcm
    track number=7 name=supermetroid_msu1-7.pcm
    track number=8 name=supermetroid_msu1-8.pcm
    track number=9 name=supermetroid_msu1-9.pcm
    track number=10 name=supermetroid_msu1-10.pcm
    track number=11 name=supermetroid_msu1-11.pcm
    track number=12 name=supermetroid_msu1-12.pcm
    track number=13 name=supermetroid_msu1-13.pcm
    track number=14 name=supermetroid_msu1-14.pcm
    track number=15 name=supermetroid_msu1-15.pcm
    track number=16 name=supermetroid_msu1-16.pcm
    track number=17 name=supermetroid_msu1-17.pcm
    track number=18 name=supermetroid_msu1-18.pcm
    track number=19 name=supermetroid_msu1-19.pcm
    track number=20 name=supermetroid_msu1-20.pcm
    track number=21 name=supermetroid_msu1-21.pcm
    track number=22 name=supermetroid_msu1-22.pcm
    track number=23 name=supermetroid_msu1-23.pcm
    track number=24 name=supermetroid_msu1-24.pcm
    track number=25 name=supermetroid_msu1-25.pcm
    track number=26 name=supermetroid_msu1-26.pcm
    track number=27 name=supermetroid_msu1-27.pcm
    track number=28 name=supermetroid_msu1-28.pcm
    track number=29 name=supermetroid_msu1-29.pcm
    track number=30 name=supermetroid_msu1-30.pcm

information
  title: supermetroid_msu1

Untitled.png

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Like 1

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT thanks again for the details on getting these working! I think I got the whole set working except for Mega Man 7, Chrono Trigger, and TMNT4. I simply can't find the required files for CT and Mega Man 7 and TMNT4 simply don't load... just a black screen. Do you have those working by chance? My plan is to do a media pack with all-new video snaps for these games, and maybe new themes while collecting the necessary box art, etc. I'd also like to use your platform video or at least mention it when I upload the media pack so folks are aware that it's available. Just got to get those last few games working. I may download the stand alone version of higan to do the video snaps... but I wanted to check with you first and see if you had these titles working in RA.

45 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT thanks again for the details on getting these working! I think I got the whole set working except for Mega Man 7, Chrono Trigger, and TMNT4. I simply can't find the required files for CT and Mega Man 7 and TMNT4 simply don't load... just a black screen. Do you have those working by chance? My plan is to do a media pack with all-new video snaps for these games, and maybe new themes while collecting the necessary box art, etc. I'd also like to use your platform video or at least mention it when I upload the media pack so folks are aware that it's available. Just got to get those last few games working. I may download the stand alone version of higan to do the video snaps... but I wanted to check with you first and see if you had these titles working in RA.

I didn't even know there was a patch for TMNT 4, so that's awesome!! ...Sadly, it will only work if patched for the SD2SNES. The emulator version of the patch actually breaks the ROM. The original unheadered ROM you are supposed to use is 1 MB, but after patching, it shrinks to 32KB. Apparently the creator of the patch isn't interested in fixing it so.... you can read the comments here and see a couple of people ran into the same problem and the author never replied to them:  http://www.zeldix.net/t989-tmnt-iv-turtle-in-time-msu-1

Chrono Trigger I don't have working simply because I don't want to buy the soundtrack for it. You can download it from here, if you're interested (needs to be the FLAC format version): http://www.thechronosymphony.com/

This one has extra steps over typical MSU-1 patching, but the patch author provides all the nitty gritty stuff for getting the FLAC files converted to PCM with the patch files themselves (bunch at BATs to ease your life and a conversion utility) and all of the instructions are in the ReadMe. I don't know if there issue with linking this, but since it's just a patch and not a ROM and the site doesn't link to any sources for ROMs, I'm going to guess it's alright and link to where you can get the patch from:  http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2546/

Also, didn't know there was a Mega Man 7 patch! But it's patch is hosted on the same site: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3088/

The link to the PCM soundtrack is in the ReadMe. I tested it, but it just boots to black. The author is the same guy as the TMNT one, so... not sure. The filesize is fine with this one and his ReadMe says the ROM must be renamed to megaman7_msu1.sfc even though the BML is looking for "program.rom". In any case, I tried every combo I could think of, but it just boots to black. The patched ROM itself loads fine, but of course you don't get the CD audio that way, but at least I know the ROM itself wasn't broken from the patch. Might have to keep tinkering with this one.

You can totally include that theme video in a pack. I'd be honored to have it included! I also made some box-art/clear logos for the 6 games in my collection, though they aren't special; just the original boxes/logos with the MSU-1 logo added, but it also includes a platform wheel logo.

• Like 1

I didn't even know there was a patch for TMNT 4, so that's awesome!! ...Sadly, it will only work if patched for the SD2SNES. The emulator version of the patch actually breaks the ROM. The original unheadered ROM you are supposed to use is 1 MB, but after patching, it shrinks to 32KB. Apparently the creator of the patch isn't interested in fixing it so.... you can read the comments here and see a couple of people ran into the same problem and the author never replied to them:  http://www.zeldix.net/t989-tmnt-iv-turtle-in-time-msu-1

Chrono Trigger I don't have working simply because I don't want to buy the soundtrack for it. You can download it from here, if you're interested (needs to be the FLAC format version): http://www.thechronosymphony.com/

This one has extra steps over typical MSU-1 patching, but the patch author provides all the nitty gritty stuff for getting the FLAC files converted to PCM with the patch files themselves (bunch at BATs to ease your life and a conversion utility) and all of the instructions are in the ReadMe. I don't know if there issue with linking this, but since it's just a patch and not a ROM and the site doesn't link to any sources for ROMs, I'm going to guess it's alright and link to where you can get the patch from:  http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2546/

Also, didn't know there was a Mega Man 7 patch! But it's patch is hosted on the same site: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3088/

The link to the PCM soundtrack is in the ReadMe. I tested it, but it just boots to black. The author is the same guy as the TMNT one, so... not sure. The filesize is fine with this one and his ReadMe says the ROM must be renamed to megaman7_msu1.sfc even though the BML is looking for "program.rom". In any case, I tried every combo I could think of, but it just boots to black. The patched ROM itself loads fine, but of course you don't get the CD audio that way, but at least I know the ROM itself wasn't broken from the patch. Might have to keep tinkering with this one.

You can totally include that theme video in a pack. I'd be honored to have it included! I also made some box-art/clear logos for the 6 games in my collection, though they aren't special; just the original boxes/logos with the MSU-1 logo added, but it also includes a platform wheel logo.

Great minds think alike! I was planning on doing what you did with the box art by adding the MSU-1 logo. I've done everything I can with Mega Man 7. It doesn't work in any emu I've tested. Must be like the TMNT rom... I might give in and purchase CT sound files... seems like a lot of work though just to get it up and running. I'm hoping someone does something with Castlevania 4. There is a demo video of a MSU-1 version over on YouTube, however the author says he won't release the hack and said not to ask for it. Thanks for all the info and help my friend!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

Yes! I've seen the Mega Man game. What's the Metroid game though? Is it a concept for a hack or a engine for PC?

It's an engine someone made in GameMaker Pro for Super Metroid. They added extra animation frames, physics and graphics and just have this as a proof of concept/demo. I don't think anyone has used it to make a game yet, but I hope someone will eventually (assuming the person that crafted this had that idea in mind). Even if it's just a 1:1 remake of Super Metroid, I'd be fine with that. It has the right kind of enhancements to the graphics and physics without being overdone and definitely keeps true to the original (which still looks fantastic, in my opinion).