LaunchBox Community Forums

A Background Video for Rom Hacks?

In virtute Dei

So I just got ahold of the FIRST full hack of Mega Man X! Mega Man X: Generation... Although it's a little rough around the edges, it's perfectly playable and comes from one of my favorite Rockman/Mega Man modders, SOPHIA. I will be getting a media pack up soon :)

Mega_Man_X_-_Generation_2D_Box_Art.png

Edited by Riffman81
  • Like 2

I made some updates myself for the box art and logos I've uploaded previously. New version with Super Metroid Phazon and others is here:

Awesome job my friend! Would you mind if I used the Super Metroid Eris and Phazon logos for a media pack and video themes I'm working on for those titles? I'll be sure to give you credit. I plan on starting a separate thread for this stuff and hope you'll continue to contribute :) I've also got a few things I've previously uploaded that I'll be updating as well. I've got a busy weekend ahead of me pulling double shifts at work but I should still find time to upload some more goodies.

The box art your using for Eris was created by AdvancedPillow over on the Metroid Construction site. It's what I'm using as well and he said I could use it as long as I note that he made it so I plan on crediting him for that when I upload the media pack. I have a physical cart for that game as well with that actual box! It was really well done and only a handful were made. Phazon and Redesign are also in the works as well as Ice Metal. I have everything done for them except themes. I don't plan to do a theme for every hack out there but those are really good mods and deserve to be showcased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Yeah, definitely! I don't need credit, though; mostly just cutting and tweaking things that already exist, but that would be awesome if you used those logos for a theme video.

Definitely plan to continue contributing things. Lots of great user-made stuff out there and not all of it is for "advanced" players that want to torture themselves, so I hope people will start to come around to it more. As soon as I get the time to invest, I'm going to start teaching myself some video-editing and hopefully be able to help out with videos too.

Anyway, don't go over-board or anything :D, but I look forward to what you put up next.

• Like 2

Yeah, definitely! I don't need credit, though; mostly just cutting and tweaking things that already exist, but that would be awesome if you used those logos for a theme video.

Definitely plan to continue contributing things. Lots of great user-made stuff out there and not all of it is for "advanced" players that want to torture themselves, so I hope people will start to come around to it more. As soon as I get the time to invest, I'm going to start teaching myself some video-editing and hopefully be able to help out with videos too.

Anyway, don't go over-board or anything :D, but I look forward to what you put up next.

Got a lot in the works... it's just finding the time to get it all finished up. But yeah, more content will definitely be coming! To me, and I believe I've said this before, ROM hacks and fan-made games help keep things fresh. I'm only interested in good quality, polished, and not over challenging mods. There are 500 Mega Man 2 and Mario 3 hacks out there and a good 90% of them are crap! I've never been one for "challenge hacks". Sure, I like a good challenge but throwing a crap ton of spikes in every level or a million pit falls and bad enemy placement isn't my cup of tea. It really does take time to sift through all of these and determine which ones are gold, and which ones are just nonsense :) I've done a few ROM hacks myself over the years and although I'm no expert, I believe people want to enjoy what they're playing and not end up throwing the controller at the television. I made a Mega Man 2 hack a few years ago where Proto Man is the playable character. It's mostly just a graphics hack for now, plan on doing new levels at some point but it's cool for what it is. I haven't hacked in a long time, might be something to get back into at some point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

Got a lot in the works... it's just finding the time to get it all finished up. But yeah, more content will definitely be coming! To me, and I believe I've said this before, ROM hacks and fan-made games help keep things fresh. I'm only interested in good quality, polished, and not over challenging mods. There are 500 Mega Man 2 and Mario 3 hacks out there and a good 90% of them are crap! I've never been one for "challenge hacks". Sure, I like a good challenge but throwing a crap ton of spikes in every level or a million pit falls and bad enemy placement isn't my cup of tea. It really does take time to sift through all of these and determine which ones are gold, and which ones are just nonsense :) I've done a few ROM hacks myself over the years and although I'm no expert, I believe people want to enjoy what they're playing and not end up throwing the controller at the television. I made a Mega Man 2 hack a few years ago where Proto Man is the playable character. It's mostly just a graphics hack for now, plan on doing new levels at some point but it's cool for what it is. I haven't hacked in a long time, might be something to get back into at some point.

Nice! I don't know the first thing about coding something. You should share your patch! I mostly seem to stick to the Super Metroid and Zelda hacks, so it'd be cool to get some diversity in my own collection.

I'm with you on only really being interested in the ones that are fun and polished. It's not unlike indie games: Most of it is junk, but every now and then, you find a gem (AM2R and Hyper Metroid, I'm lookin' at you). Games like Kaizo Mario are fun for novelty, but that's about it to me.

• Like 1

Nice! I don't know the first thing about coding something. You should share your patch! I mostly seem to stick to the Super Metroid and Zelda hacks, so it'd be cool to get some diversity in my own collection.

I'm with you on only really being interested in the ones that are fun and polished. It's not unlike indie games: Most of it is junk, but every now and then, you find a gem (AM2R and Hyper Metroid, I'm lookin' at you). Games like Kaizo Mario are fun for novelty, but that's about it to me.

Agreed! AM2R and Hyper Metroid are awesome! I own Hyper on cart as well. I thought Mega Man Unlimited was really good, hard, but good. Once I start a new thread, I'll post everything that is available so far and what I'm working on. Maybe others will chime in with what they're playing or interested in playing and I'm sure between us that are interested, we can get the core media available for those games. I have a friend who makes reproduction NES, SNES, and Genesis carts so I'm always doing labels and box art for him. So anything I do for him I might release here as well. Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes is one I already made art for and just need to do a game play video. There are many others as well. So plenty is on the way :)

• Like 3

Thank you so much for this @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT, I really appreciate it my friend [emoji4]

Sorry I missed your post my friend, just got off work :) I could have sworn I put 2D art in the media pack I did for that game. I guess I forgot to seeing as I only use 3D art unless it's not available for a platform. Nevertheless, I'll update my Legend of Link pack soon with a 2D cover. Sorry about that guys.

• Like 2

Hey @Riffman81... not sure if you have already started working on that Super Metroid Phazon theme video, but hopefully not yet (or aren't too far along). I decided to make the logo on the box art bigger (it seemed too small to me). Otherwise, the box is the same as before. Also did a box and logo for Super Metroid: Hydellion :). Seriously... so many games to do! Great work on that Mega Man X Generation theme, too!

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. You don't use box art in your other themes :P, probably not this one either.

Super Metroid Phazon.png

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Like 2

Hey @Riffman81... not sure if you have already started working on that Super Metroid Phazon theme video, but hopefully not yet (or aren't too far along). I decided to make the logo on the box art bigger (it seemed too small to me). Otherwise, the box is the same as before. Also did a box and logo for Super Metroid: Hydellion :). Seriously... so many games to do! Great work on that Mega Man X Generation theme, too!

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. You don't use box art in your other themes :P, probably not this one either.

Super Metroid Phazon.png

Actually I'm finishing up Eris at the moment. Phazon is on deck and I'd be more then happy to use your box art and logos for the 3D box included in the pack. I don't use box art in my themes because I feel it takes away from the theme. Box art is already viewable in BB and that's another reason I don't display it in themes. :) Great job on the Phazon box! I may actually model my theme after your box art! Any luck finishing up Castlevania Chorus of Mysteries? If you can send me the individual art pieces you used to do that box art, I can turn that into a theme and get that one going as well. Long day at work tomorrow but I'll be back at it tomorrow evening.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Riffman81 said:

Actually I'm finishing up Eris at the moment. Phazon is on deck and I'd be more then happy to use your box art and logos for the 3D box included in the pack. I don't use box art in my themes because I feel it takes away from the theme. Box art is already viewable in BB and that's another reason I don't display it in themes. :) Great job on the Phazon box! I may actually model my theme after your box art! Any luck finishing up Castlevania Chorus of Mysteries? If you can send me the individual art pieces you used to do that box art, I can turn that into a theme and get that one going as well. Long day at work tomorrow but I'll be back at it tomorrow evening.

Cool! :) You can definitely use those in your pack. I am finished with Chorus. Media that may be pertinent to a theme is attached (along with the completed box). If want the box template, Konami logo or the red scroll logo I used on the box, I can include those too, but I figure what I have below is what you'd be most interested in using.

If you decide to do a Phazon them with the art I used for the box... that's attached too! :)

Castlevania - Chorus of Mysteries.png

Castlevania - Chorus of Mysteries.png

Background-Chorus.jpg

Bats-Chorus.png

Belmont-Chorus.png

Super Metroid Phazon.png

Phazon Suit Samus.png

Phazon Mines.jpg

• Like 2