LaunchBox Community Forums

Convert "other" games database

teceem

Hi,

Nice that script exists.  However its a bit off topic from what I was after.  I can pretty easily create directories (VBA from the exported CSV for instance), my problem lies with the metadata export/import.  I have some 12k records currently which I have parsed a few times with data cleaning, i.e. corrections, my additions.  It is this metadata which I am looking to shift between applications.  One of my main gripes with C... is that there is no by formula manipulation - for instance combination of fields by code, or database access, which makes mass updating difficult.  Now I can get the metadata out in CSV, so I really don't want to go through the process of importing game titles to a new system, and letting that pull metadata from its connections/databases, then me having to go through it again cleaning and adding my bits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dillonm said:

Yeah Collectors software is a bit of a dog.  Really basic stuff.  Everyone is moving in the direction of Launchbox now.

Not really.

I want to move to Launchbox because it supports local videos & screenshots on the details page. But in general Game Collector has a lot of features that are missing in launchbox ('complete' list view (e.g. title sorting working, edit in place), html formatting in description, batch correction of missing links, import/export (e.g. html export), .... etc.

1 hour ago, teceem said:

Not really.

I want to move to Launchbox because it supports local videos & screenshots on the details page. But in general Game Collector has a lot of features that are missing in launchbox ('complete' list view (e.g. title sorting working, edit in place), html formatting in description, batch correction of missing links, import/export (e.g. html export), .... etc.

Yeah that's true there are missing features in LB. But I still don't like Collectorz.  More and more i was finding that Collectorz wouldn't even recognise or find my latest games - only AAA titles or something well known - when I was adding them. And there are alot of games out there now by obscure studios and developers. LB just supports these titles better.

Edited by dillonm

6 minutes ago, dillonm said:

More and more i was finding that Collectorz wouldn't even recognise or find my latest games - only AAA titles or something well known - when I was adding them. And there are alot of games out there now by obscure studios and developers. LB just supports these titles better.

That's not the software's fault... games in the Game Collector database are added by the users - just like with LB. Maybe they're slower adding them? Or less Indie players?
When I couldn't find a game in GC, I'd just add another one and change it into the one I want. ;-)

1 minute ago, teceem said:

That's not the software's fault... games in the Game Collector database are added by the users - just like with LB. Maybe they're slower adding them? Or less Indie players?
When I couldn't find a game in GC, I'd just add another one and change it into the one I want. ;-)

Either way LB is just better supported ;-)

Just my 2 cents here. Let me say some (I think) important things: first of all, LaunchBox is a frontend for software emulation (and similar programs) with PLAYING in mind, and Collectorz Games is a software to CATALOGUE your games, so these 2 programs are made to obtain completely different objectives. The only thing they have in common (and both of them are almost at the beginning of this thing) is using a centralized database maintained personally from inside the "companies" to help users to trace all the informations they may need for their games. But CG is using a cloud system and offering it for money (CG could be purchased as Desktop Software, Mobile App or WebBased version) so their database is not for free, while LB uses DB for help users to find metadata for the frontend (almost free in this case). Both are spending money and I don't see how they can be interested in permitting the other to access their informations. For the sake of users I can understand, probably if users are on both softwares perhaps, but could it be possible? I see only two ways: some homemade work to translate CG .gmc files to LB .xml files or Jason going to Holland and buy Collectorz.com! :D