LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing Windows Games - exe files

Fnkngrv

So I picked up Abobo's Big Adventure as an example.  I have it sitting in a directory on one of my drives, but it a stand alone .exe file.  How can I have LB manage it?  When I look at the wizard it says that it will do a scan for installed games?  This isn't an installed game and is a Flash Player Game at that as far as I can tell.  I am really hoping that I can have this integrated into LB (Fingers Crossed).

abobo dir.JPG

You can. You just need to setup a program to run it with like your web browser or Daum Potplayer https://potplayer.daum.net/ will let you play it as well. You setup the program you want to play with as an emulator in Launchbox, then import the flash file like any other rom and tell it what platform and emulator to use. For the emulator just pick your browser or Potplayer, whichever program you setup as an emulator.

For straight up exe files you can simply import the exe or even the Windows .lnk shortcut files. During the import process you will have to pick an emulator, just pick any emulator at all, it doesn't matter which. After the import is done right click the game and edit and then uncheck the box for use this emulator. You can also bulk edit a bunch of exe or lnk files you imported and select no emulator in the drop down menu.

If you have a bunch of SWF files, you can use the add files option and use the windows search to filter out and add all the SWF files. No clue if there is any metadata or media for them, but best chances would be under PC, so set it up as a Flash platform and scrape it as PC (or keep it in PC). You can associate an emulator if you want, or if you have the program set up as the windows default program to open up that file, with no emulator set it will just open up the default application as well.

• 1 month later...

So as a further question 

On 12/21/2016 at 0:54 AM, SentaiBrad said:

If you have a bunch of SWF files, you can use the add files option and use the windows search to filter out and add all the SWF files. No clue if there is any metadata or media for them, but best chances would be under PC, so set it up as a Flash platform and scrape it as PC (or keep it in PC). You can associate an emulator if you want, or if you have the program set up as the windows default program to open up that file, with no emulator set it will just open up the default application as well.

Ok, so on this note I have found that Abobo's Big Adventure for example runs on Adobo Flash, but it is packaged as a .exe.

When you perform an import for Windows games is there any way to change the parent directory searched?  In my case the only windows games that I will be running will be those that are self contained (example Abobo's Big Adventure) which I am storing on a rom drive that I have.  I will not be installing any games natively to Windows.

14 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

The Windows Import is a bit locked down, but you can drag and drop the exe in to LaunchBox or press add in the bottom right corner if you're mostly concerned about this one game.

It should be noted that if you do this you have to still indicate an emulator (despite the fact that it's not applicable) if you indicate it's a rom. Once the import is complete you need to edit the entry in your library, go to the emulation tab, and uncheck "use an emulator". You can do this en-masse as well if you import several this way by selecting them all afterwards and doing a bulk edit, telling it you want to "change the emulator" and then leaving the field blank.

Or you can of course just press Ctrl + N / add game button and add the .exe in manually, search for metadata, etc.

It should be noted that if you do this you have to still indicate an emulator (despite the fact that it's not applicable) if you indicate it's a rom. Once the import is complete you need to edit the entry in your library, go to the emulation tab, and uncheck "use an emulator". You can do this en-masse as well if you import several this way by selecting them all afterwards and doing a bulk edit, telling it you want to "change the emulator" and then leaving the field blank.

Or you can of course just press Ctrl + N / add game button and add the .exe in manually, search for metadata, etc.

In this case as stated you can't use the import wizard when the games are not actually installed to the Windows environment. They have to be inserted one at a time manually.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

1 minute ago, Fnkngrv said:

In this case as stated you can't use the import wizard when the games are not actually installed to the Windows environment. They have to be inserted one at a time manually.

You can run the import wizard. Read my post again. You can drag in .exes and run them through the wizard.

You could drag multiple shortcuts and it will import those through the import wizard, but you'll need to bulk edit the emulator off. You'll need to assign one temporarily. You could also use the regular Tools -> Rom Import, go that route, point it to a folder of shortcuts and bulk edit the same setting.