LaunchBox Community Forums

Bizhawk Vs. Mednafen for Saturn and/or TG/PCE CD games?

cleverest

I'm wondering if anyone has experience between these two emulators for TG/PCE-CD and/or Saturn games?  

Mednafen seems to work fine, it's the only one I've tried... but the controller configuration is annoying...some late developments on Bizhawk, just wondering if anyone can weigh in on this...

Thanks!

-Brett

Also for PSX1 emulation, we add EPSXE to list, and have I have to ask...which one should I go with there?

I'm using Launchbox, with Rocketlauncher, although I'm fine with not using RL for any of these systems if it makes it better/easier..

Edited by cleverest

Have you tried Retroarch? I'd recommend RA + Mednafen cores for all of the above except for possibly Saturn, and that's only because it doesn't support the 3D pad like standalone Mednafen yet; if that doesn't matter to you the RA core is fine as well. Controller configuration is a snap in RA.

ePSXe is also nowhere near as accurate as Mednafen. It can be run on a lower end machine than Mednafen but that's about the only thing it's got going for it over Mednafen.

Thanks a lot...I thought ePSXe was the leader in psx tuff still, shows how clearly outdated I am on that, I'll use Mednafen instead for psx!  :-)

Which means I use it for TG/NEC-CD, SATURN and PSX now....when I launch the ALT+SHIFT+1 and configure my controller is it over-writing the previous one for other systems, or does it keep those separate per system normally?

I AM willing to switch to RA, but how hard is it going to be for me to change my existing collection from using (mostly) rocketlauncher (every emulator gets the same emulator/command line switches in launchbox TO Retroarch?  Not a huge fan of rocketlauncher I guess...it's mostly about LB and the games to me, and being able to configure stuff and have it REMEMBER it...

....and it must be portable on a drive, because...I was trying to complete this collection to provide it as a gift for a friend too....might be a struggle if I change it all now... :-\

16 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I AM willing to switch to RA, but how hard is it going to be for me to change my existing collection from using (mostly) rocketlauncher (every emulator gets the same emulator/command line switches in launchbox TO Retroarch?  Not a huge fan of rocketlauncher I guess...it's mostly about LB and the games to me, and being able to configure stuff and have it REMEMBER it...

It can be a little daunting at first but really no more so than RL. The good news is there's no shortage of RA tutorial videos (and RA users here on the forums for that matter) to help you. RA has so many great features; I really can't recommend it highly enough. And the good news is, once you get used to using it and setting things up for it, you'll know how to do it for nearly ever platform underneath that umbrella (with a few exceptions) - and that encompasses a heck of a lot of platforms. There are a few instances where I'd recommend a standalone emulator over the RA core counterpart, but they're few and far between.

As far as the actual time for the conversion process - that's going to come down to how quickly you're able to pick up using/setting up RA itself. The actual conversion in terms of Launchbox setup isn't bad at all.

Awesome, good info and appreciate the response and encouragement...I may have to limit this switch to my own and give my friend the other ones since it's almost done...

but if I try it, for the sake of speed...instead of hunting down 50 different videos for retroarch setup to get the command lines for LAunchbox to use...is there a 1-2 page article anywhere that lays out the settings for each emulator?  I saw this link and assume it works in general, but I know that Retoarch uses commands with -lib something something...

I found the Retroarch picture guide thread....

What concerns me most is this comment: "

"Retroarch relies on a database when it comes to importing it's roms and your games need to match the naming of the roms in the database. It uses the No-Intro romsets for it's naming so if your roms are not from the No-Intro sets you may run into issues, there are a couple of 3rd party import programs to be found on their fourms though to generate playlist files."

I don't know which of my ROMS follows those naming convention; likely many don't...and rocketlauncher doesn't really care...that might be a royal pain to fix in my collection...it's gotten pretty big... :-\

24 minutes ago, cleverest said:

What concerns me most is this comment: "

"Retroarch relies on a database when it comes to importing it's roms and your games need to match the naming of the roms in the database. It uses the No-Intro romsets for it's naming so if your roms are not from the No-Intro sets you may run into issues, there are a couple of 3rd party import programs to be found on their fourms though to generate playlist files."

I don't know which of my ROMS follows those naming convention; likely many don't...and rocketlauncher doesn't really care...that might be a royal pain to fix in my collection...it's gotten pretty big... :-\

It's a non-issue. That only matters if you want to import games into your Retroarch library (which you have no real reason to do, that's what Launchbox is for) - which is in no way necessary and has no impact on using Retroarch in conjunction with Launchbox. All you have to do between Launchbox and Retroarch is setup the Retroarch emulator entry in LB and direct it to the appropriate core dll for each associated platform - launching a game in that associated platform will then start that specific game, with that specific core in Retroarch.

The database for Retroarch is only for importing the games into its UI for its playlists if you intend on using the built in Retroarch UI as your frontend. You can still launch most any game you want as long as it is in a format that Retroarch supports such as cue + bin cd games vs cue + iso + audio files.

As far as BizHawk goes though many of its cores are simply their own ports of code with some tweaks they make just like Retroarch does with their cores. Their Saturn core is based off of Yabause code which is not very good compared to Mednafens.

Retroarch / Mednafens PSX core and ePSXe are actually very similar in terms of accuracy testing, both are around the 90% mark right now. Pre version 2.0 ePSXe the Mednafen core was certainly much better but 2.0 made a big jump.

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Retroarch / Mednafens PSX core and ePSXe are actually very similar in terms of accuracy testing, both are around the 90% mark right now. Pre version 2.0 ePSXe the Mednafen core was certainly much better but 2.0 made a big jump.

I converted over to Mednafen prior to 2.0 so I can't really comment on it in the latest iterations, you might be right; I just know there were quite a few games at the time that never worked correctly in ePSXe that had no issues in Mednafen. In fact, I've never had problems with any PSX game in Mednafen so long as it's a good rip (most of my PSX library is ripped from my own collection), which accounts for several hundred games; all of which I've tested.