LaunchBox Community Forums

Can LB pass variables to AutoHotkey?

4 hours ago, Krakerman said:

Ok, I now added:

• Added ability to have 4 different sets of instruction cards.
  • Added an option to allow the game to be paused or not when displaying instruction cards.

Looking at adding built-in marquee support via Display Fusion which will allow for animated marquees with gifs or mp4's. I have it up and running but there is a slight delay after launching and exiting game before the marquee changes but it does work.

Reason I was looking at an alternative is because I have a multi monitor setup with 5 monitors and LaunchBox built in marquee support does not work correctly with my setup and this does.

Holy smokes!

2 hours ago, Krakerman said:

I would really like to get LB/BB variable support added via LB/BB built method as this I think could resolve some issues I've come across.

Totally agree. Features are great, but the boring stuff behind the scenes that allow more 3rd party support, expansion, features, etc. Appreciate your efforts, as always.

• Like 1

These are the variables explained per Jason that can be passed to the ahk using my method btw for any ahk coders:

• %romfile% - What it spits out depends on the emulator settings. By default, it spits out the full path to the ROM file including quotes, as it should. If "don't use quotes" is checked, then it won't use quotes. If "use file name only without file extension or folder path" is checked, then it will do exactly that. The only reason this was added was to support odd emulators that don't allow you to put the ROM file last. If it's omitted, the ROM file will always be put at the end of the command-line parameters.
  • %platform% - Spits out the game's platform (was originally added for Rocket Launcher).
  • %launchboxorbigboxexepath% - Spits out the full path to LaunchBox.exe or BigBox.exe, depending on which is running (was originally added for Rocket Launcher).
  • %gameid% - Spits out the game's ID from the XML data.

Now just add those to the internal ahk and we will be all good! haha

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

I did it! Managed to pass variables to LaunchBox internal AHK! All the variables I posted above work. Just tested it and have my internal ahk sends the variables to a msgbox while the game is playing to verify that it is reading the variables and it does :)

Pause screen works too and exits just fine!

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Krakerman said:

I did it! Managed to pass variables to LaunchBox internal AHK! All the variables I posted above work. Just tested it and have my internal ahk sends the variables to a msgbox while the game is playing to verify that it is reading the variables and it does :)

Pause screen works too and exits just fine!

Man, that is literally fantastic news!

Funny the more I kept thinking about it the more it started making sense on how to achieve it. My method to pass the variable I mentioned is the same and to get the variables I added additional code to save the variables to ini file then the internal ahk can read the variables from the ini it's that easy.

• Like 1

Squashed a bug was having but now all cinematic startup and shutdown videos are now handled in my ahk launcher script and no longer requires setting it up for each game in LB/BB as an additional application.

New features: 

• Cinematic startup/shutdown support. (Working 100% now!)
  • Built-in LaunchBox AHK support. (Ability to pass variables to internal AHK scripts.)
Edited by Krakerman

1 hour ago, Krakerman said:

Squashed a bug was having but now all cinematic startup and shutdown videos are now handled in my ahk launcher script and no longer requires setting it up for each game in LB/BB as an additional application.

New features: 

• Cinematic startup/shutdown support. (Working 100% now!)
  • Built-in LaunchBox AHK support. (Ability to pass variables to internal AHK scripts.)

You are SUCH a tease.

• Haha 1

Well I now resolved an issue with my info cards (similar to RocketLauncher's instruction cards) and now have these working in windowed or fullscreen using png's with transparency.

Looking into other things I can add like fade in/out and audio effects.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1
  • Game On 1

I now figured a way to get the rom extensions of the game within a zip using my launcher and pass those variables as well to the internal ahk. :)

Completed:

• Atari 5200 (Config) data (Need to add XL conversion carts)
  • Atari XEGS (Config) data 

* Includes prototypes. 

** Tested all games in the config and all launch and run 100%

Edited by Krakerman

• 2 weeks later...

Added the following:

• Support for the Covox Sound Device
  • Burst I/O (disk/tape games only)
  • Artifacts support
  • V-Sync enable/disable option but this is based on system.
  • Plus added check in place to detect if setup and trying to launch for the wrong platform (tested and working perfect!) will popup an error message box and then exit back to LaunchBox.

Next working on Axlon RAMDISK support.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Added:

• Checks for the selected platform to make sure the cart type is correct so if they are setup wrong it will give an error message and exit.

*Note: You will still need to make sure that you setup the correct cart type thou for the rom in order for it to run correctly but if one of the numbers does not match the list of cart types for that specific platform then it will give you an error and exit.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

So I am planning on implementing a built-in configuration program to modify the current platform/rom settings as well as possibly adding a feature to add new game configs. In doing so I am modifying the current config system from a platform config setup to a per rom based setup. After I finish that and testing it will move into the GUI creation phase which I am looking forward to implementing and testing out!

Edited by Krakerman
  • Game On 1