LaunchBox Community Forums

The Year 199X: System Intro Videos

Zombeaver

The Year 199X Cover.png

These are now available in the downloads section. Enjoy!

Original Post:

Spoiler

These are system/platform intros that I've made with the primary intention of being used with the CityHunter theme which can be found here. Thanks to CriticalCid and keltoigael for this theme!

The file sizes are large, but a high bitrate was necessary in order to avoid these turning into muddy macroblock messes. The addition of digital noise, smoke, VHS damage artifacts, etc. adds a lot of visual information that necessitates a higher than normal bitrate in order to avoid compression artifacts. Believe me, I tried multiple lower rates and they looked awful.

Before anyone asks why these aren't in the download section - I've attempted uploading this as a single zip multiple times and it continues to fail. I still have a couple things I want to try in that regard but, until then, I've uploaded these individually to my Google Drive and created shareable links for each of them, which you'll find below.

Demo:

These need to be placed in Launchbox -> Videos -> Platforms.

Keep in mind that the files may need to be renamed slightly based on the names used in your library - if your platform is named "Panasonic 3DO" rather than just "3DO" you'll need to rename the video accordingly to match the name of the platform in your library.

Platforms currently covered:

3DO
Amiga
Arcade
Atari 8-bit
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari ST
Atomiswave
Capcom CPS-1
Capcom CPS-2
Classic PC (a custom platform I've created in my library for post-DOS era PC games of the mid-90's to early 00's)
Commodore 64
MS-DOS
NeoGeo
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo Wii
PC Engine
PC Engine-CD
ScummVM
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega Master System
Sega Model 2
Sega Naomi
Sega Saturn
Sharp X68000
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2
Sony PSP
Super Nintendo
SuperGrafx
Taito Type X
TurboGrafx-16
TurboGrafx-CD
Windows

I realize there's still going to be some outstanding platforms for some people so I'm also accepting requests for additional platforms which I'll work through as I'm able.

The clear logos and platform banners shown in the demo are also available on the forums:

For full effect, I'd also recommend putting some good Synthwave tracks in your Launchbox -> Music -> Background folder and enabling background music in Big Box. You can find a lot of good stuff in the genre on Bandcamp and New Retro Wave's Youtube channel. Here's my current playlist of tracks I'm using in my library if you want some inspiration:

Now you're ready to experience Big Box in a neon-drenched haze of cyberpunk goodness :P

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

SupperrrrGraffxxxxxx, Segaaaaaa 32X! Seriously. They look great. I think you should do like viking does his and just zip each one and upload them. Look at how he does his nostalgia set. Rather then one large file people can pick and choose.

Yep, that's no problem. Now that I've got everything setup for these in Vegas the way I want, I can generally just swap out video files from one to the next and the rest basically falls into place, so making more of these doesn't take much time unless I have to custom-assemble clips (I had to do this for the Classic PC and Windows platforms).

I don't know if you saw but I posted clear logos and a banner for 32X earlier.

33 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

Well the PC Engine and PC Engine have a lot of good games that the TBG16/CD never had.

Hmm... well that's true but I'm assuming that most people have them as one platform regardless. I have everything in TG16/CD regardless of whether they were actually PCE exclusives or not (similarly I only have an SNES platform despite having a lot of English translations of Super Famicom exclusive games).

I'm not necessarily opposed to doing a separate one though assuming I can find a source video that's specifically for PCE.

16 minutes ago, MatticusFinch1820 said:

Amazing work!! 

Thanks!

Wii should be easy. Gameboy I started on previously but because it has a kindof weird native aspect ratio it complicated things. It's definitely still doable, it'll just take a bit longer to get sorted.

Wii U will take longer since it doesn't appear to have a system intro available from Emumovies currently so the clips would have to be assembled manually.

• Like 2