LaunchBox Community Forums

Computer Systems w/Controller

angelobodetti

Hi All,

I am emulating Amiga, Commodore 64, MSX and MSX2 but I keep them out of Big Box because i only want games that work well with controllers in Big Box.

Because they aren't in Big Box i basically never play any of them.

Do any of you use controllers with any of the above? Do they work well? I saw some people online playing MSX games with a controller and it didn't seem to be an issue or need to also use a keyboard.

Just was curious - if 90% of the MSX games work great with a controller then I will add to big box, if not I'll leave as is and use in LaunchBox only with a keyboard.

Thanks!

Amiga via FS-UAE and C64 via CCS64 (Hoxs64 and WinVice also work) work just fine with a controller. The video tutorial I made for Amiga can be found here.

I typically use my wireless 360 controller with FS-UAE, though anything that uses Xinput should auto-configure as well. No configuration of the controls are necessary beyond things like custom command shortcuts.

For CCS64, Xinput controllers also work by default with no configuration. My 360 controller or my Mayflash F300 work with no additional setup required. I also have a USB adapter that allows me to connect one (or two) of my Tac-2 joysticks and use it with CCS64, though you do have to manually calibrate those in the emulator; that just takes a few seconds though.

I can't comment on MSX as that's not a system I emulate. I believe there's a Retroarch core for it though and controller configuration is very easy in RA. I believe MESS is also an option for MSX.