LaunchBox Community Forums

why use RocketLauncher?

Skel3tor

Hello,

I am new to LaunchBox but not new to ROMS/EMULATORS (Hyperspin for years). I recently decided to try LB/BB on my HTPC and let me say WOW the simplicity of setting this thing up is 1 million times less complex than that of HS. Well worth the $50!!! Ok on to my question

I always used RocketLauncher in HS for controllers/emulators ect. It seems that LB/BB has everything I need already installed.

1. Why do I need to use RocketLauncher? What are the benefits?

2. I am having a small problem of getting my screen size to save in whatever emulator i use. I always have to manually enter full screen? Any quick fixes for this?

Thanks in advance and to the LaunchBox GODS thank you for this program!!!!

It will give you some extra features like loading fade screens which can be nice for larger games that take a few seconds to load or if you have them compressed and you need to wait for them to decompress. You also get universal save state management and bezels across all emulators.

You certainly don't need RocketLauncher at all, I don't use it myself. I find it adds an extra layer of complexity and source of potential problems and isn't worth the effort.

As far as your screen issues are concerned you could just need certain command parameters set in your emulator settings in Launchbox depending on the emulator.

I use RocketLauncher for one reason only.. all my ROMs are compressed to 7z and stored on my D drive, RL uncompresses them and makes the temp file on my C drive which is an SSD and stops with framrate issues I get loading from an external HDD? I am hoping LaunchBox may get this feature down the line so I can remove RL from the system. I do need to put a request in i guess!

42 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

I use RocketLauncher for one reason only.. all my ROMs are compressed to 7z and stored on my D drive, RL uncompresses them and makes the temp file on my C drive which is an SSD and stops with framrate issues I get loading from an external HDD? I am hoping LaunchBox may get this feature down the line so I can remove RL from the system. I do need to put a request in i guess!

Yeah I am having some frame rate issues with Dolphin. Not sure if RL will fix this but worth a shot. I am in the beginning stages of tweaking my LB/BB so it's gonna be awhile before i tweak it the way I want it. 

9 minutes ago, tcrusenberry said:

Yeah I am having some frame rate issues with Dolphin. Not sure if RL will fix this but worth a shot. I am in the beginning stages of tweaking my LB/BB so it's gonna be awhile before i tweak it the way I want it. 

Even though I have a top spec Alienware Alpha R2 i7 8gb ram 970 nvidia I get the issues loading any disc based ROM from external HDD's (Framerate hits randomaly every few seconds) , I found having RL extract the compressed roms to a temp folder on my C drive which is an SSD plays everything perfect with not 1 issue, hopefully LAunchBox can add that to remove RL

Edited by zetec-s-joe

5 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Even though I have a top spec Alienware Alpha R2 i7 8gb ram 970 nvidia I get the issues loading any disc based ROM from external HDD's (Framerate hits randomaly every few seconds) , I found having RL extract the compressed roms to a temp folder on my C drive which is an SSD plays everything perfect with not 1 issue, hopefully LAunchBox can add that to remove RL

So by extracting to a SSD you have no frame rate problems?

I have an i7 6 core/32 gb ram/1070ftw card so there should be no reason I am experiencing these issues

2 minutes ago, tcrusenberry said:

So by extracting to a SSD you have no frame rate problems?

I have an i7 6 core/32 gb ram/1070ftw card so there should be no reason I am experiencing these issues

Are you running the ROMs from an external HDD? if so extracting to the C drive should maybe help, it fixed the issue for me anyway, it still annoys me that I havent been able to fix the issue, surelly loading PS1 titles from an external HDD thats 7200RPM should be fine!

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

If you are reading directly from an internal (not external) drive there shouldn't be an issue. Whether the drive is an SSD or standard HD doesn't matter.

I don't keep my roms, especially the big disk images compressed and I keep them on an internal drive so I never run into these issues.

Ahh, just to make things clear, I have SSD for OS and a 7200 RPM Internal for Storage, It happens on the internal storage drive aswell as any external drives, just annoying

23 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

If you are reading directly from an internal (not external) drive there shouldn't be an issue. Whether the drive is an SSD or standard HD doesn't matter.

I don't keep my roms, especially the big disk images compressed and I keep them on an internal drive so I never run into these issues.

Internal 7200 wb black drive

20 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Ahh, just to make things clear, I have SSD for OS and a 7200 RPM Internal for Storage, It happens on the internal storage drive aswell as any external drives, just annoying

yeah i have the same setup ssd for OS and 7200 for storage

2 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

You can totally and easily do this with Launchbox. Just make a symbolic link to have the LB 7zip unzip location to be your C drive or wherever you want. If you need help running the Windows command for this let me know.

Edit:

Here is an example of how to do this. The below example was used to move the LB image cache folder, but you can just replace the paths with the ones you want (below the C path is the folder you want to change to, like your SSD):

mklink /J R:\LaunchBox\Images\Cache C:\LaunchBox\LaunchBoxLinks\Images\Cache

Edited by ckp