LaunchBox Community Forums

couple of ? for MAME on Launchbox

coppermouse

I got everything working good, bought the licence so it works in big box mode, but have the following questions.

I notice one game does not show up on the list (Puckman) which is Pacman.  it is in the ROMS and plays on MAME by itself. How can I get it to show up?

Is there anyway to have the games display on a wheel like Hyperspin or Game EX Arcade edition? and have the videosnap play of the game currently pointed to by the wheel?

Edited by coppermouse

Okay for the 1st question Puckman is a japanese version of Pacman when you import MAME and choose exclude clones and prioritize North American region it will exclude Puckman and only grab Pacman if you want to add Puckman you will have to either do it by using the add button in LB bottom right corner or add it as an additional to PacMan by going into edit for PacMan and clicking the additional app tab click add name your rom point LB to your rom and tick the run with emulator checkbox and your all good to go.

You could try importing your MAME games again, and choosing the same check boxes but trying a different region. I haven't tried this, but I'm actually going to now, that would be something good to know. Otherwise, the cleanest method is what Derek suggest, which is to use the Additional Apps feature and add Puckman as an Additional app to Pac Man.

I am going to chime in with some questions as well. I have watch the LaunchBox video on YouTube at least 5 times now and still can't get anything to work. I am trying to use MAME. I have downloaded it and placed it in in my Emulators folder under LaunchBox.

I then found a MAME BIOS pack and place that in the ROMS folder under MAME. Far as I can tell its a bunch of *.zip files. 

So I found a game (Marvel vs Capcom 2) which was very popular on an emu paradise web site. I went with a popular one in hopes that it would be a good working file. 

I place the file into my [...]\LaunchBox\Emulators\MAME\roms folder along with all my ROMs and then attempt to launch from LaunchBox. 

It starts and then errors out.

If I launch mame64.exe without using LaunchBox then it still wont play the game. 

There has some to be something simple I am missing. The current file does not need or have an associated CHD file. 

Please Halp

2017-01-13 18_40_45-Edit Emulator.png

2017-01-13 18_41_19-Edit Emulator.png

2017-01-13 18_42_51-LaunchBox Premium - Licensed to Jeb Brigman.png

So, if you download a MAME Rom Pack (MAME .181 Split rom pack), you don't need to add in BIOS. MAME also doesn't need to be in your LB Emulators folder if you don't want it to be. Otherwise, with the pack in the default roms folder, and using the MAME Importer, it should work. Uncheck "Use file name only" too, I was having issues with that recently. Games weren't loading until I unchecked that (at least for MESS).

16 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

You could try importing your MAME games again, and choosing the same check boxes but trying a different region. I haven't tried this, but I'm actually going to now, that would be something good to know. Otherwise, the cleanest method is what Derek suggest, which is to use the Additional Apps feature and add Puckman as an Additional app to Pac Man.

So I decided to try this, and the Japanese MAME Roms are importing on top of my existing MAME imports.

I am still stumped. The game launched starts to load and just closes. Is anyone else able to get it to work? I would feel better if this thing was failing for others as well. 

I also tried getting the older version of MAME that the web page said would be the most compatible with the game type. Same thing. Launch and close.

I removed that link, please don't post links to roms.

Otherwise, search for a MAME .181 split rom set, that's all you need along with MAME .181. It sounds like it's crashing because of a BIOS mismatch, or a MAME mismatch. Grab a set and mame version that match that is at least .178 onwards (there was a big change for .178 for some arcade boards).

so downloading MAME from the MAME web site isnt the right course of action? Or do I also need something in addition to the MAME files from the official MAME web site? I added a pic of the MAME that I downloaded.

2017-01-13 19_20_37-MAME _ Latest MAME Release.png

Edited by Soulnova
added pic

Hi @Soulnova

In trying out MAME you need to go with a different game than the one you mentioned.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 New Age of Heroes (Export, Korea, Rev A) - mvsc2.zip

This game also needs
The Naomi Bios - naomi.zip
The MIE Device - mie.zip
the JVS Device - jvs13551.zip

The bad news is that you picked a game that doesn't currently work in MAME. With everything in place and setup correctly you'll probably only get as far as the Naomi logo screen or the Loading Game Now screen.

Yea, for Naomi games too, you'll need a different emulator as well, I didn't even pick up on that. I gave them some more info in PM as well, but Naomi is currently not working, you'll need demul and a specific set of Naomi games. @DOS76 made a post of his command line and set up to get Demul working with Naomi and other sets, I don't have it off hand.