LaunchBox Community Forums

[SOLVED] Golden Tee Fore 2006 Complete through LaunchBox

djetaine

I'm having a lot of trouble getting this to launch inside of launchbox. It works fine through MAME proper. It has a single CHD file (golf_fore_complete_v6.00.01.chd) and a bios (ITEAGLE.zip)

Doing some googling I found what I thought would be a solution from a couple years ago but I've attempted to follow the instructions and it's not working. 

I have all of my MAME Roms currently residing with MAME in a folder. (e:\emulation\mame\roms)
When importing I leave the files where they are (at least for MAME, i couldnt get launchbox to work reliably with arcade games if I let it move the files)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by djetaine

If I add the CHD as the rom when I launch it from launchbox nothing happens. 
If I add the ITEagle bios as the rom file it will launch the bios and then say that there is no IDE harddrive and stall. 

I had to add the game manually. When attempting to import, it doesnt find the game. 

gt.png

Edited by djetaine

1 hour ago, bearman said:

What I did to get this to work was to zip the chd file, then import that .zip file into Launchbox as the rom.  I kept getting error messages when trying to add the chd as the ROM. Maybe my input settings were wrong but this method worked for me.

Just tried that, no go. 
Did you just zip the chd file and leave it in the same folder as the iteagle.zip and then point launchbox to the zipped chd? What I did and when i click to play it nothing happens. 

I created a subfolder in my rom folder named gtfore06. Inside that folder is my golf_fore_complete_v6.00.01.chd and a zip file named gtfore06.zip. The gtfore06.zip just contains the .chd inside. I left the bios file "iteagle.zip" inside the rom directory. I use MAMEUIFX as my MAME emulator. 

Take a look at this old forum post. Spycat gives a good reply. This is what nI used to get it working.

Edited by bearman

6 hours ago, bearman said:

I created a subfolder in my rom folder named gtfore06. Inside that folder is my golf_fore_complete_v6.00.01.chd and a zip file named gtfore06.zip. The gtfore06.zip just contains the .chd inside. I left the bios file "iteagle.zip" inside the rom directory. I use MAMEUIFX as my MAME emulator. 

Take a look at this old forum post. Spycat gives a good reply. This is what nI used to get it working.

This did the trick. I think the difference between what I was doing before and now is that I was zipping up the chd file but not leaving another copy of the chd in the folder with it. It's working now. Thanks!

Yes, zipping a copy of the CHD file will also work, in fact anything (or nothing) can be put in the zip file.
It's just something to get around LaunchBox not being able to be pointed to a folder, so an empty zip would be more practical memory wise, especially if the CHD file is very large. The golf one in question weighs in at around 1 GB.

The empty zip file can be also just copied and renamed whenever you meet another of these CHD only games such as Chaos Heat or XII Stag.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to to revive this, but this noob is really having problems getting GT Complete running. I FINALLY found the CHD file but it seems I cannot find the BIOS (?) file for the life of me! Then, setting it all up is something else completely.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I did get a couple of Genesis games going, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

Thanks so much for this software and the help!

Best,

James

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

My advice is to find a complete MAME rom set and all the files you need (minus the CHD which you already have will be in there.

Thank you my friend, but are you sure that they contain the latest GT's? NONE of them I have seen have had anything past 2K - and some have noted that it is because they specifically (those later than 2K) require the CHD (and BIOS) files. 

I now have the CHD and BIOS (seemingly, anyway, lol) I just want to make sure I'm placing them in the proper place, correctly.

Please do not think I'm implying I know what I'm talking about, cause I don't...just relaying what I've seen so far. Got ya on the complete ROM set- I've seen (and have) that ~ 60 gig set and it already has more than I'll EVER use lol.

Thanks!

James

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

How do you plan on playing these if not with MAME if they aren't in MAME I don't know how you would emulate them at all, unless they are on Taito TypeX Nesica or one of the more modern arcade systems.

I had no plans to emulate them in anything other than MAME- someone had brought up "retroarch" (which I thought was a front end like Launchbox), but I am completely unfamiliar with that. I was going to import the CHD and BIOS file into Launchbox, use MAME as the emulator - and, hopefully- call it a day. I'm sure I'm making this much more complicated than it really is and once I discover the proper methodology, I'll have to find something new to make more difficult that in really is.

James

Edited by thejamestownoasis

so, please see what I've done, which I'm sure is wrong. I created a "LAUNCHBOX" main folder that has all things launch box...then, when I ran/extracted LB, I didn't see a "roms" folder created by LB, so I created one. I then added the "iteagle" zip to it, a subfolder called "gtfore05" also within it (still haven't found 06 on its own) and then placed the 05' CHD file within that subfolder.

I was just going to make it a "guess and check" operation because I've taken in so many methodologies from different folks- many of which seem contradictory, but still work.

Thanks

James

gtfore05.JPG

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I just tested out GTFore06 in my MAME set and its working but I don't see a ROM file for it in my set so perhaps its a CHD only game but it definitely does work

cool, well I must have done something wrong as it first imported it as "gt2005" but with no art and of course it didn't work. THEN I moved the zipped iteagle into the subfolder with it and got...

I also have the MAME exe in the "LUANCHBOX main folder, just FYI. 

Thanks!

James

gtfore5b.JPG

something tells me that I shouldn't have had to create my roms folder in the launchbox folder, but thinking more about it, upon importing games it does ask me if it wants me to move or copy them to the launchbox "games" folder, so maybe I"m ok with having my roms in a folder I create and then just have LB move them over. (?)

James