LaunchBox Community Forums

[SOLVED] Golden Tee Fore 2006 Complete through LaunchBox

djetaine

that is the MAME selfextracting package that has to be installed to a folder somewhere and then that will add the MAME.exe that you need to play the games. I don't want to be rude or anything here but it sounds like you are really in over your head with this stuff I strongly suggest you go over the the YT channel and watch a few tutorials to get a better idea on how things work.

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

that is the MAME selfextracting package that has to be installed to a folder somewhere and then that will add the MAME.exe that you need to play the games. I don't want to be rude or anything here but it sounds like you are really in over your head with this stuff I strongly suggest you go over the the YT channel and watch a few tutorials to get a better idea on how things work.

“The mame “self extracting package”???

that’s what’s appearing when I’m attempting to play either the chd or iteagle file in LB? Wow. Never would have guessed this in a million years- I figured they were files attached/within the CHD or BIOS files, respectively. And right re my inexperience: as I had mentioned a few times, this is all new to me. I will watch and read the tutorial; seems the making of the imi file and the steps thereafter are already steps I was inaware of.

I thought this would be as easy as selecting the proper emulator: MAME -   directing LB to said emulator via a path: done (or so I thought after adding GT, selecting mame as the rom, and then adding the path) 

Then downloading the “regular” ROM set: in process. And then finally leading MAME/LB towards them via a file path after I went to add their respective folder.

I’m certain creating this imi, and then making an adjustment will yield plenty more missteps for me, lol.

thanks again for the help

James

I agree with DOS and Monkus. I would watch a few YT videos. Mame is pretty easy to set up. First set Mame up and get the CHD for gtfore running in Mame. Then once that is all done it is easy enough to import into Launhbox. 

Golden Tee Fore 5 and 6 are CHD only games. So you really only need the CHD and the iteagle.zip bios.

Where you are going to store your roms do the following inside that particular folder. This needs to be the folder you have directed mame to look for roms in. 

1. Place the iteagle.zip (the bios) file in that main roms folder (do not rename it, do not put it anywhere else)

2. In that main roms folder create a subfolder called gtfore05 

3. In that gtfore05 folder place the Golden Tee Fore 5 chd file (it must be unzipped).

4. In the main roms folder create a 0KB zip file called gtfore05.zip (nothing needs to be inside it). This is what will make it eay to import into Launchbox and have it scrape the correct arcade data. 

Of course none of this will matter if you do not have Mame properly set-up. 

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I agree with DOS and Monkus. I would watch a few YT videos. Mame is pretty easy to set up. First set Mame up and get the CHD for gtfore running in Mame. Then once that is all done it is easy enough to import into Launhbox. 

Golden Tee Fore 5 and 6 are CHD only games. So you really only need the CHD and the iteagle.zip bios.

Where you are going to store your roms do the following inside that particular folder. This needs to be the folder you have directed mame to look for roms in. 

1. Place the iteagle.zip (the bios) file in that main roms folder (do not rename it, do not put it anywhere else)

2. In that main roms folder create a subfolder called gtfore05 

3. In that gtfore05 folder place the Golden Tee Fore 5 chd file (it must be unzipped).

4. In the main roms folder create a 0KB zip file called gtfore05.zip (nothing needs to be inside it).

Of course none of this will matter if you do not have Mame properly set-up. 

Right, thank you. I started watching one you tube tutorial and it simply seemed too convoluted- for me, at least. I moved onto the next- by a gent named “gta prime” and it made it much more straightforward: basically: d-load launchbox, get your rom set, d-load mameui, import roms into mamegui, launch launchbox, use emu manager to import mameui as the arcade emu, import roms with your preferences.

I’m waiting for my 60gig rom set to d-load- I will take your advice and get everyrything running in mame/ui before bringing it to launch box- thanks.

couple quick questions if I may:

1. How do I create a 0kb zip file? Sorry, prolly obvious, but I’m just used to unzipping files.

2. I was running retropie on a r-pie 3 and it was fine- until I wanted the newer Golden Tees. One thing I really liked about it was navigating with my X arcade tank-stick: no keyboard- is that possible with launch box?

One HUGE upside to me wih LB over Retro will be the ability to import games without all the clones/duplicates and other stuff- there was a LOT of that in Pie that wore down some of the fun.

I’m sure my next struggle will be getting the x-arcade trackball/joysticks working!

this stuff is tough for a NEW layman like me cause I’m just so ignorant as to an “aerial view” of everything: roms-emulator-front end. I only just recently realized the distinction between the emulators and the front ends that tie them all together lol. This whole “retroarch” side of things sounds cool: like a multi-emulator emulator?

thanks so much for the help! Once I get these all going I’ll never touch it again...I mean the most updated rom set has 99.9+% of everything that can be emulated anyway, right?

thanks again!

James

7 minutes ago, thejamestownoasis said:

1. How do I create a 0kb zip file? Sorry, prolly obvious, but I’m just used to unzipping files.

Why would you have to do this ?

2. I was running retropie on a r-pie 3 and it was fine- until I wanted the newer Golden Tees. One thing I really liked about it was navigating with my X arcade tank-stick: no keyboard- is that possible with launch box?

Yes, my HTPC has an X-Arcade Tankstick and it works fine, it's just read as a keyboard.

I’m sure my next struggle will be getting the x-arcade trackball/joysticks working!

Nope, it won't be. The trackball is just seen as a mouse and the joysticks + buttons are just keyboard inputs.

This whole “retroarch” side of things sounds cool: like a multi-emulator emulator?

Retroarch is a bit different, it's a user interface for multiple emulator cores, the cores themselves are the emulators and Retroarch is a UI for them all instead of individual emulators with their own UIs.

I mean the most updated rom set has 99.9+% of everything that can be emulated anyway, right?

Nah, there's still a lot of newer stuff that isn't emulated in Mame yet.

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Why would you have to do this ?

Yes, my HTPC has an X-Arcade Tankstick and it works fine, it's just read as a keyboard.

Nope, it won't be. The trackball is just seen as a mouse and the joysticks + buttons are just keyboard inputs.

Retroarch is a bit different, it's a user interface for multiple emulator cores, the cores themselves are the emulators and Retroarch is a UI for them all instead of individual emulators with their own UIs.

Nah, there's still a lot of newer stuff that isn't emulated in Mame yet.

Thanks- Re the 0kb zip: I thought retro808 said I needed to create one for Golden Tee?

and I hear you re more to be emulated: I’m just talking about the stuff 2005ish and earlier- I was the biggest gamer I knew until about the ps2- then I think it just got too “real” for me, lol. Still, I buy- and then sell- all the new systems, always convinced I’ll get back into “modern” gaming: I currently have a PS4 Pro that I bought for racing games: built two wheel/pedal set ups and race on a 150” screen w 11 channel surround sound...like once a month!

good to hear about the tankstick: I just want to be able to enjoy this...

ha

James

Edited by thejamestownoasis

9 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Ah ok, I don't bother with any of the CHD games so maybe I am missing something there but I would trust Retro808.

I hear ya- unless there’s something out there I missed, it will be just GT for me. I was never into the game before- but then my neighbor got a 2005 real unit and I thought it was fun with a few guys- the game. Made this with that primarily in mind and it’s been a blast47AE6F57-24AC-49A9-8802-1A2E752A14A4.thumb.jpeg.2d31755dc6bb32a8cb9918343ed73011.jpeg

B9C9F97F-22AA-4028-9CAC-DD6D0B7B83C0.jpeg

6049435E-14DE-47C0-B2AE-B057E3A1B849.jpeg

Edited by thejamestownoasis

2 minutes ago, thejamestownoasis said:

I hear ya- unless there’s something out there I missed, it will be just GT for me.

There's tons of great old games but of course going through the full Mame rom set to find everything can be a pain in the ass and time consuming. This is why I have filtered all of my Mame stuff down to a hand picked set of games using the Non Merged Mame rom set. It's 1 zip file for 1 game which makes it super easy to add and remove games, I made a batch file to copy all the games in my set out of a full set and you can get the batch file here:

29 minutes ago, thejamestownoasis said:

Thanks- Re the 0kb zip: I thought retro808 said I needed to create one for Golden Tee?

Just right click an empty space in the folder and choose “create new” and then “zip”. Or just create a text file named like I said and when done change .txt to .zip and there you go. 

The 0kb zip file is to give you something to properly import into Launchbox. That was the whole original issue in this thread. Launchbox does not like the .chd file and you cannot point it to the folder. So import the fake zip file, Launchbox will scrape it and it will trick it into launching the chd file so to speak.