LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME 182 - several roms not working

ckp

I recently went from mame 176 to 182 (roms at 181 level).

Most games are working own 182, but there are several good games (fighters) that do not work unless I flip them back to using mame 176.

Anyone notice this?

Here are a couple: 

sfex2p.zip

rvschool.zip

doapp.zip

thanks @spycat , but i have the same exact game files and bios files in each mame version. several just don't play with my mame182.

also i have the roms updated from a full 180 set to having 181 update on top. seems like several games just don't work with 182?

i wonder if anyone has any of these 3 games working with 182? do you?

Hi @ckp

I'm on Mame 179 myself, so game testing with Mame 182 is out for me at the moment.

If your romset has been updated to 181, have you tried using Mame 181 to test these problem games?

By the way, the ZN2 and TPS bios roms changed between Mame 180 and Mame 181 with the addition of a 3rd file (the common one I mentioned earlier). Perhaps they changed again for Mame 182, although I can't verify this. If you want to use Mame 182, your best option may be to update your full romset to 182.

16 minutes ago, spycat said:

By the way, the ZN2 and TPS bios roms changed between Mame 180 and Mame 181 with the addition of a 3rd file (the common one I mentioned earlier). Perhaps they changed again for Mame 182, although I can't verify this. If you want to use Mame 182, your best option may be to update your full romset to 182.

ok i may need to have another look. what is the name of the common file you speak of?

Hi @ckp

For the game doapp.zip the TPS bios is coh1002m.zip
and it's contents (as of Mame 181) are
m534002c-61.ic353
mg01.ic652
78081g503.ic655

For the games rvschool.zip and sfex2.zip the ZN2 bios is coh3002c.zip
and it's contents (as of Mame 181) are
m534002c-59.ic353
cp10.ic652
78081g503.ic655

The common file in the TPS and ZN2 bios is 78081g503.ic655
This file was added to the TPS and ZN2 bios roms in Mame 181 and is not in earlier versions.

At the moment I don't have any information on possible Mame 182 bios or game changes, sorry for this. If I get it I'll post.

For the full requirements of the three games as of Mame 181 see these images.

doapp.PNG

rvschool.PNG

sfex2.PNG

So I ran across this issue when creating the tutorial for today, and that's because something is very screwed up now. Either things have changed, and nothing else has caught up, or it was in error. So in the Naomi tutorial I stated, several times, that you must get a Non-Merged set now, at least for the time being. Reason being, Merged sets wont work in LB, and the Split set is straight broken. Several games were not correct. Non-Merged is double in size, but it's the most compatible pack out there, and wont give you any trouble. It's a combination of Split and Merged. I would guess that is the most likely reason why, something is missing, and it's due to error I believe. As far as I know, the BIOS haven't changed, any error I've seen on .182 is the actual files missing in a rom. As an example, doa2 for Naomi, is a 108mb zip file normally. In the split set, it was 3mb. Something is very wrong there, and all but 1 file out of 10 or 11 was missing.

1 hour ago, ckp said:

hey @spycat , i guess i'm confused because i have no idea where to get those files you are mentioning?

my tps.zip contains only con-1002m.353

i'm not really following the fix. 

If you're on .182, and files should be there that aren't, then that's the exact problem I was having with .182 as well. My post above is about that. Dead or Alive 2 zip in .181 at 108mb, but in .182 3mb.

Hi @ckp

So today I tested the 3 games using game and bios versions for Mame 180 with Mame emulator version 182 and all 3 games ran.

I used the game roms (Mame 180 set)
doapp.zip
rvschool.zip
sfex2.zip

and the bios roms (also Mame 180 set)
coh1002m.zip
coh3002c.zip

and Mame 182 to emulate.

The actual 3 game roms haven't changed over recent Mame versions, but you do need the 2 bios roms for Mame 180 or later. Bios roms for Mame 179 or earlier will not work for these games when using Mame 180 and beyond.

• Like 1

Thanks @spycat .I have those two files in my full set and just added them to the collection of roms that I use.

I tried doapp.zip and sfexa.zip and bldyror2.zip but nothing comes up still for that game. Must be missing something for these?

rvschool.zip and sfex2p.zip work now!

Edit: now i'm guessing i probably need a lot of bios files from my full 180 set, but i don't know which of these files are "bios" files to add to my reduced killer no filler rom set. i'm trying to keep my rom set small, but probably need any other new bios files.

Do you know which files int he full set are bios files?

Edited by ckp

Hi @ckp

The best way to find out a game's needs is probably to do an audit of the game. I believe that some of the Mame builds with a GUI can do this.
I only use official Mame myself and it's audit tool is very basic, returning either OK or BAD. I use the EmuLoader frontend to do audits.

For a list of Mame (180) Bios and Device roms see here.

Mame180BiosList.txt

Mame180DevicesList.txt