LaunchBox Community Forums

New User - some questions

legolas119

Hi,

I have just downloaded Launchbox 7.6 and I bought some months ago a forever-update licence of Big Box. But I start only now with the configuration of this fantastic frontend.

Well, currently I have configured RetroArch 1.3.7 with 3 emulators: Super Nintendo (bsnes emulator), Nintendo NES (Nestopia) and Neo Geo (FBA Arcade).

Now I want to start with Launchbox and Big Box: do you think that this is the best video in order to start with first installation and set up? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4203215175&feature=iv&src_vid=Oeozvnb_-eI&v=WC4NieHGwbo

or this one? 

Or do you suggest another guide for noobs?

many thanks! 

Yes, they'll be updated. Launchbox is just going to refer to whatever exe you tell it to.

Edit: As DOS pointed out, this is only true if you're updating by overwriting your existing exe. If you're making different installs for different versions you'll have to manually point launchbox to the new exe each time. 

Edited by fromlostdays
Clarity

well it is the first time I configure retroarch, but for sure i will have only one installation in the same folder. I think that when i will update retroarch I will overwrite everything in my current Retroarch folder (or delete it and unzip the new pack) and keep saved only few folders (config, and something else, i don't remember now very well which folders I have to save from my current version)

So, if I will maintain the same root of Retroarch emulator, I don't need to change anything in Launchbox, yeah!

Dowload the latest nightly and just copy/paste it in your ra directory. The download itself shouldn't include folders etc so it won't override any user settings. There's also an automatic updater on the RA forums. I think it's called Stelle Updater. That works best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ah ok ok, thank you.

And which is the right procedure to update Launchbox/Big Box? Every time it will be released a new version i will download the full pack and then...? How can update it correctly without loosing my settings?

I have the .xml file for my  forever-update licence of Big Box: if i'm not wrong i have to put it in the installation folder of Launchbox in order to activate Big Box and in order to have permanent update, am I right?

ah! so now when there is an update i can udate launchbox automatically?! Good to know! thanks!

And which is the right procedure to update Launchbox/Big Box? Every time it will be released a new version i will download the full pack and then...? How can update it correctly without loosing my settings?

I have the .xml file for my  forever-update licence of Big Box: if i'm not wrong i have to put it in the installation folder of Launchbox in order to activate Big Box and in order to have permanent update, am I right?

Hi @legolas119

If you start LaunchBox and go to Tools, Options, Updates you will see 2 tick boxes.
The box for Check for Updates on Startup should be enabled. If it's not, then tick it and click OK to save.
You will now be notified on-screen if a new Official version of LaunchBox is available whenever you next start LaunchBox or BigBox.

In between Official versions, the LaunchBox team also release beta updates and if you want to get those then tick the other box as well.

When LaunchBox/BigBox does an update, it changes nothing to do with how you have setup your LaunchBox/BigBox. Everything will work as before, except for any new features or fixed bugs. When an update is done, LaunchBox (or BigBox) will automatically restart.

Your License XML file just goes in the LaunchBox folder.

You can go to Help, About, Premium to see the status of your License.

hi guys

i would like to configure the Dreamcast emulator in Retroarch and then use it with Launchbox. 
Do you know if there is a video tutorial in order to configure it properly?

Is it a good emulator with filters and options in order to have a similar crt tv effect ad other emulators as bsnes or FBA Arcade?

thanks!

Its a excellent emulator for many systems with many of the cores being the best option out there or at least as good as the standalone but with the added RA features. There are a few cores however that aren't recommended and Dreamcast if one of them for DC I would suggest trying Demul (if you have a good enough system) or Null DC if Demul proves problematic. If you set Demul up for Dreamcast you need to use -run=DC -image= as the command line and the checkbox that says mostly for Null DC has to be checked for it to work.

Ah ok!  Yes I have a good pc. This one:

CPU:Intel 1150 i5-4690K M.B.:GIGABYTE Z97MX-Gaming5 VGA:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4.0GB G1 GAMING RAM:ARES 2x4GB DDR3-2133 SDD:SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB HDD:SEAGATE 3.5" 3000GB ST3000DM001 Barraud Diss:Thermalright HR-02 MACHO REV.B Ali:Thermaltake Paris 650W ATX 80+Gold SO:WS 7 ULT.SP1 64BIT

Do you confirm that the latest version of NullDC is 1.0.4? I found 2 versions: nullDC SVN r150  or nullDC vs2013-fix Git (2015/09/18)

And the Demul latest version is this:  DEmul x86 v0.7 Alpha BUILD 180816

DO you know if both emulators support .iso and .cdi file? In your opinion which is the best of the 2? Which is the emulator with better filters and so on?

many thankS

Edited by legolas119

Demul is definitely superior to Null DC it also has the ability to run a nice section of Arcade games (unplayable through MAME) also so it has that added bonus. I'm unsure as to the latest version of Null DC I haven't used it in a long while. I don't think either support .iso but don't hold me to that as I'm not 100% on that .cdi and .gdi are supported by both I believe. This link will probably tell you more than I can