LaunchBox Community Forums

About to install RocketLauncher and LaunchBox - couple of daft questions though (again)!

Wayne100

Hi all, following on from my previous post/topic, I have a rough idea of what I need to do:-

Install RocketLauncher

Install LaunchBox

Install Retroarch

Install ROMs etc for SNES to start with (download ROMS from No-Intro)

I have formatted and installed another 2TB HDD, solely for LaunchBox (and later on BigBox).

Does it matter what the HDD letter is? (At the moment, it is Z:) Seem to recall that when I installed something to do with Hyperspin a few years ago, it had to be certain letters for some reason? Not sure if this is the same, I may be wrong!

Daft question, I planned to install RocketLauncher first, and the LaunchBox, is that correct, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks all, any help much appreciated!

Edited by Wayne100

The order doesn't matter. If you want to know how I did it (I have a dedictibled SSD for just launchbox/rocketlauncher). 

I changed the SSD drive letter to L: (For Launchbox) and no it doesn't matter what letter you choose. It actually didn't for HyperSpin, but on a  very older version I think some settings files (that you could change) just defaulted to C: on setup. No biggie.

I installed the latest version of launchbox in L:/LaunchBox  and opened it once. (I always open everything once in case it needs to generate any inis or something)

I installed Rocketlauncher in L:/Launchbox/RocketLauncher (Created this folder)

I installed my emulators in L:/Launchbox/RocketLauncher/Global Emulators (Created this folder)

I personally have all my roms on an external drive I lettered R: for roms. Since they are going to be on the same drive for you, I recommend saving your games in Launchbox/Games/[system name] You don't have to create any of these folders. When you import your first set of games, launchbox will give you the option to move them automatically and create the directory for you. 

Import snes games and set up rocketlauncher as your emulator. (you won't ever need to set up anything else an emulator) I think LaunchBox is designed to work with RL in this regard, and just note that Launchbox wants to spell Rocket Launcher with a space. It's important that you get this part right because if you do RL and Launchbox will talk to each other without your intervention. When you import games in LB, they will show up in Rocketlauncher already imported. 

Install your emulator, set it up in Rocketlauncher, test and if it works in RL, it will also work in LB. 

Let me know if you have any more questions about how to set up Rocketlauncher. 

It doesn't matter what drive letter you use as long as all of your stuff is on the same hard drive. If it's all on the same drive (LaunchBox, Games, Emulators), then it uses relative paths and becomes completely portable. If you have games on a different drive and import them, it must assign a drive letter to those paths and it stops being a relative path and a full path instead. I'm not gonna comment on what to do with RL or how to install it as I have zero clue, but if you leave everything on the same drive in relation to LaunchBox, then it will use relative paths and make your life easier in case you do need to move things to a new hard drive (like a bigger one).