LaunchBox Community Forums

ZX Spectrum Emulation

Napalm2016

Hi Guys

Just wondered what is the recommended emulator for ZX Spectrum, I have an X-Arcade Tankstick and looking for the best solution to emulate the spectrum, also is there a solution to not using the keyboard, all games use different keys just wondering how people get around this or do you have to use the keyboard on some games?

Thanks in advance

For most PC games, if it doesn't allow you to edit the keys or set up controllers (Amiga and DOS do), then there wont be too much you can do unless you want to grab rebinding software to map keyboard controls to your controller. Otherwise, I haven't done a tutorial yet for this, nor have I done any testing yet, but the best emulator for the ZX Spectrum should be FUSE. MESS is supposed to work, but it's not the recommended emulator actually, so I need to do some testing here. I also don't know how FUSE will work with LB.

Thanks for your replies yeah I'm still trying to get my head around retroarch I have a couple of systems setup with no issues, Ive just tried fuse and emulates well the trouble comes to the controls, I guess I might have to setup something like vjoy to emulate a joystick as the tankstick acts as a keyboard, also in retroarch for some reason I don't have the option to save a config per core as Ive seen others do unless I'm missing something any idea why I don't have that option?