LaunchBox Community Forums

Wired USB controller for Launchbox on Windows - Looking for Recommendations

zorkiii

Hi all, I have been using a few wireless XBox 360 controllers for my Launchbox / Big Box setup, and am considering going a wired route for 4 controllers. I'm curious if anyone has any recommendation for a good all around wired controller that would work for the majority of systems and games? I am running Windows.

I've been seeing a few recommendations on the board here, mostly the Logitech F310 for wired. Are there other good options for wired controllers at that price point? Ideally per controller I would want to stay around $30 or so. I think if it were much more than that, I might just go with 4 PS4 wireless controllers since people have had so many positive remarks on them. But that would cost a bunch more obviously.

Lastly, are there any potential downsides to using 4 wired controllers? I am planning to host a bunch of multiplayer game parties and looking to make things easier. Sometimes dealing with wireless can be a pain when batteries run out or a controller shuts off. My thoughts were that using wired might be a better alternative in some respects. Any input is appreciated.

• Like 1

Was literally about to make a post with suggestions.

Anyway, 

It does depend on application. So for most modern 3d titles. 4 wired Xbox 360 controllers are probably the best all-around controllers that take the most minimal amount of setup. Their biggest drawback is a horrendous d-pad. The D-sticks can also be a pain needing recalibrated often for more sensitive games that would be better off using a dpad. Wireless controllers can be used if you invest in a dongle. but it is the same thing. Zero Latency.

The best controller for retro 2d games in general is the 8bitdo Snes 30. This controller is wireless bluetooth and has a fair amount of heft, easily in line with the snes controller. The build quality is high and it doesnt feel cheap or plastic-y. The D-pad is high quality and feels like the original. Also, I notice zero latency. It works on iphone/android/and Windows effortlessly. This is my favorite retro inspired controller. If you want to buy a wireless reciever from their site, you can even use this on a legit NES or SNES.

iBuffalo Snes Controller. This is a Japanese Super Famicom inspired controller. Its wired which is its biggest drawback. Otherwise its practically a usb replica that is 100% accurate to the original controller. The Dpad seems even a bit better than the SNES controller as it doesnt wear as fast and retains it's springy-ness which is fantastic for Streetfighter2 Turbo fans.

Then you have the PS4 Controller. I love this controller but you need a dongle to use it wirelessly on PC. Also, since it pretty much hijacks the 360 driver and remaps itself, you'll find that while it generally works flawlessly in most game, some will require some setup as they can be mapped kind of wonky. And though rare, I've had issues at times with it not being recognized in some games.

I forgot to note that 8bitdo's controllers use keyboard mapping that supports 2 players, but not 3/4 controllers.

Edited by dmjohn0x

For analog controllers I would suggest either Xbox 360, Xbox One or PS4 controllers. I don't know what the XBone controllers d-pad is like but it looks good. However the d-pad on the 360 controller is absolute shit and the PS4 for is better but not great because of the split directions.

If you just want d-pad only controller without analog sticks the Hori Fight Commander is absolutely perfect.
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01GVOFIAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486280196&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+fight+commander

I have the previous model of this controller and it really is the perfect controller for anything that doesn't require an analog stick.

There is also a Microsoft one with the Xbox button labels but it is the same controller coming soon and Amazon is taking pre-orders.
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Officially-Licensed-Microsoft/dp/B01MSEPQ55/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=jkfty-20&linkId=58c50de1ad87c1d63888177eb659d030

These Hori controllers have 10 foot cables so they are plenty long and are extremely responsive. I cannot recommend these controllers enough, I really love mine.

As far as wireless vs wired is concerned I have seen some issues with emulators having problems with controller IDs. When they turn on their IDs change and can cause issues within the emulators bindings. Wired controllers don't have this issue if the controller is plugged in all the time.

Oh, that not bad at all. I guess its because im constantly looking at out of production hori pads. They definitely retain their value in the community.

Looking forward to getting the new NX Switch Horipad, but not looking forward to them using that stupid xbox style dpad.

Yeah, the n64 mini has come down to $80 but this time last year was over $100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hori-Pad-Mini-Blue-Nintendo-64-Controller-used-N64-Japan-game-accessories-/322405508213?hash=item4b10dda475%3Ag%3AWOgAAOSwyjBW286s

Hori is famed in japan for quality tank sticks. Its sad that all the popular 3rd party controller companies here in the states pretty much were selling cheap chinese knock-offs instead of quality components that rivaled official offerings like Hori did in Japan.

Aye, I've only recently grown okay to the $50 pricetag Sony and M$ have been charging for their official controllers and those are rock solid. I LOVE my SNES30 by 8bitdo though. $25-30 New is an amazing price. Meanwhile comparable iBuffalo controllers dont feel as premium and have jumped from $12 (which was a bargain) to ~$30, which at this point doesnt compare to 8bitdo's offering.

Yeah the 8bitdo controllers are nice and they are wireless if that is something that is a must have for someone. For me though I don't mind the wire and the Hori FC has the perfect layout vs the Snes 4 face buttons. Having 6 face buttons for the Genesis and fighting games plus the 4 shoulder and "guide" button map to stuff for the emulators makes it that much better.

That said, Amazon currently has some iBuffalo controllers for $16, which is a good price if you dont care about wireless and dont need thumbsticks.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486283276&sr=8-1&keywords=ibuffalo

Honestly, the only thing I need is a good N64 alternative. The legit usb adapter method is fine but its getting harder and harder to find old n64 controllers with tight sticks. I've been told Retrolink is my best option but then ive also heard people saying the buttons have too much resistance.

Just now, lordmonkus said:

Yeah I haven't seen any reviews of it yet but if it's like their Snes controllers it should be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Android/dp/B01M1KP9GT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486283953&sr=8-1&keywords=Retro-Bit+8bitdo#customerReviews

Apparently, everyone is let down. Mostly because the thumbstick appears to break easy. 

That's a shame considering how high quality their other controllers have been

Personally, I've been using a PS4 controller since they came out, and all I needed to do was install Input Mapper, and it works great. I just recently got an Xbox One, and that controller also works great. I would say, go with which ever one you can get on sale, and if you ever get those consoles you have an extra controller. When it does come to those controllers though, the old versions will be cheaper. With the PS4 controller, the old version is just fine, as that's what I am using. I turn off the light bar so the light bar improvements mean nothing. The older Xbox One controller on the other hand, I don't recall having a built in Micro USB port, but the new versions do (which is the version that came with my Xbox One).

That's unfortunate, they should make a replica of the Hori N64 controller with it's analog stick, that would be killer.

The PS4 controller is really nice and extremely comfortable but I really wish they would have put in a non separated d-pad. Those small gaps in between each direction is annoying, yeah it's better than the PS3 ones but still not perfect. If they would use the same d-pad as the Hori FC the PS4 controller would be pretty much perfect unless you prefer the XBox analog stick layout.

My issues with M$'s controllers is that horrid d-pad. Makes playing precision platformers difficult, and I find that more sensitive games dont react well with thumbsticks, easily changing directions mid run with the most minimal of touch. I know it was bothering me a lot in Psycho Waluigi.