LaunchBox Community Forums

Wired USB controller for Launchbox on Windows - Looking for Recommendations

zorkiii

1 minute ago, SentaiBrad said:

The Xbox One d-pad is fantastic as far as I can tell, a hell of a lot better than the OG and 360 pads. I wanted a PS4 most though, and so I had that controller first. The split style doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others.

Split is fine for platformers, just bad for arcade fighters as you lose the springy half-circle  rocking motions you need in most fighters.

I find you just cannot change directions with the split d-pad as quickly as a proper full cross d-pad, it also makes fighting games like Street Fighter more awkward.

You just need to have your thumb over the center and rock it in the direction you want instead of having to make very deliberate presses avoiding the center of the d-pad.

6 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

I play games just fine when I need to use the D-Pad. xD

split is definitely doable, the argument is that it isn't optimal. But different strokes. Some people will tell you that you can't play a fighter without a tank stick. But where there is a will, there is a way.

42 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

There is the new 8bitdo N64 controller which is wireless bluetooth lik their other controllers.

While that controller is bad, I was just thinking, Arent Gamecube controlers fully compatible with the N64? I think its just got a couple extra buttons.

Hey all, I just got around to checking back on this thread, many more responses than I expected which is great. I appreciate all the information.

I am pretty close to making a decision, still a little on the fence since I am hoping for one controller for all things rather than 4 for one thing and 4 for another. I plan to order four of something today or tomorrow most likely. I personally prefer the Playstation style controller layout the most with both analog thumb sticks on the bottom, rather than the Xbox layout with the left analog on top and dpad on bottom. But that isn't all that important I guess, I am sure I would manage.

That Hori Fighting Commander looks awesome. I guess my ideal setup would probably be four of those for fighting games and retro console stuff, and then 4 PS4 controllers. I agree about the poor dpad and other issues with the XBox 360 wireless controllers, I started this thread because I have two of those controllers that are pretty out of whack and feel like I wasted my money on them. 

I bought two 2600 Dapter-II usb interfaces for my Epyx 500xj joysticks to use with all those 1 button games for the Atari 2600 and C64 and other systems. My gaming history as a kid started with the Atari 2600, then to C64 and Amiga 500, and loved using the 500xj and slick stik and joysticks like those. I still cannot play games like H.E.R.O. or Montezuma's Revenge and countless others all that well on a dpad. I totally prefer the 500xj for those, I can get through the first 12 or so levels of H.E.R.O. without a single death on a 500xj and die repeatedly on a dpad, not sure why. I guess it's maybe how terrible the Xbox 360 wireless dpad is, or just me.

Ah man I really do not want to spend like $300 or more dollars on controllers today. 

Is there a wired version of a Playstation controller that works well and is cheaper? I can't seem to find one. I am seeing tons of knockoffs of course but the reviews are pretty sketchy.

I would love to give one of these a try sometime, it's a Hori PS3 / PS4 controller that is wired and has a great looking d-pad. The only thing you may not like about it is it uses the XBox layout.

https://www.amazon.com/Horipad-FPS-Plus/dp/B0106XFCPI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486317071&sr=8-2&keywords=hori+controller

Without ever holding an XBone controller I think if I were to be buying an all in one controller that is wireless I would go with the PS4 controller despite my minor issues with the d-pad on it, everything else about the controller is pretty much perfect and the analog stick layout is pure personal preference.

Since you are buying for 4 players it is costly to buy 2 sets of 4 controllers. On my main gaming system since it is just for me I use the Hori FC and XBox 360 controller.

Speaking of the old Epyx controllers, those things are amazing, I still have mine from my old Atari days.

Actually, right now, I see the new styled PS4 controller on sale: https://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Wireless-Controller-PlayStation-Black-CUH-ZCT2/dp/B01LWVX2RG/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1486321724&sr=1-3&keywords=ps4%2Bcontroller&th=1

At $47 a piece, you're looking at just under $200 if you must buy 4 now. The d-pad's I think are just fine myself, especially after PS3 and 360 quirks, the PS4 controller is probably my favorite stock controller ever. You would have to have 4 micro-usb cables going though, and InputMapper installed, but I'm sure you've already accounted for this.

So I've been using an xbox one elite controller for a while now.

Pros: I mean it's workable on everything from the magnovox odyssey to Resident Evil 7 biohazard without taking my hands from the controller. 

Can be wireless with an inexpensive adapter that works really well.

Xbox joysticks are superior in my opinion

Fully functional D-pad

Plug and Play in Windows

Having said all that, if I'm being completely honest, if I was going wired, I'd probably go with the ps4 controller. It's not even about the D-pad. It's the buttons. In a lot of snes platformers, for instance, you have to hold one of the buttons while pressing other buttons (for instance, you go through most of Super Metroid holding the "Dash" button and still have to jump and shoot without taking your finger off of dash. This is much more cumbersome on the xbox controller than on the ps4. The D-pad on the elite is actually at least equal to ps4 dpad in my opinion, because of the exchangeable button, but you have to get used to the thumb placement. I don't think the d-pad on the regular xbox one controller is (even if workable) anyway near is good as either.

I would almost recommend getting one of the controllers for the nvidia shield tablet. Oddly enough, its a great retrogaming controller. Better than both of the above for platformers. But, I don't think it would make a good controller for new games relying on the joystick. And furthermore, I don't even know if it works in windows. 

I think the ideal solution for maximum playability would probably be using a wired Wii Classic Controller for retro games (by far the best option IMO) and then either the ps4 or the xbox one for everything else. 

1 hour ago, lordmonkus said:

I would love to give one of these a try sometime, it's a Hori PS3 / PS4 controller that is wired and has a great looking d-pad. The only thing you may not like about it is it uses the XBox layout.

https://www.amazon.com/Horipad-FPS-Plus/dp/B0106XFCPI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486317071&sr=8-2&keywords=hori+controller

That looks like a great controller, I wasn't aware of that one. Thank you @lordmonkus

28 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Actually, right now, I see the new styled PS4 controller on sale: https://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Wireless-Controller-PlayStation-Black-CUH-ZCT2/dp/B01LWVX2RG/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1486321724&sr=1-3&keywords=ps4%2Bcontroller&th=1

At $47 a piece, you're looking at just under $200 if you must buy 4 now. The d-pad's I think are just fine myself, especially after PS3 and 360 quirks, the PS4 controller is probably my favorite stock controller ever. You would have to have 4 micro-usb cables going though, and InputMapper installed, but I'm sure you've already accounted for this.

Considering I could do wired or wireless on the controller, it really isn't that bad of a deal now that I think about it more. Thank you @SentaiBrad

6 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

I think the ideal solution for maximum playability would probably be using a wired Wii Classic Controller for retro games (by far the best option IMO) and then either the ps4 or the xbox one for everything else. 

Thank you @fromlostdays - I looked that controller up online, which version or model do you recommend? I'm seeing a larger version and a slim version, but maybe those are quite different, I am still researching the Wii controller.

Either one of these babies work great http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452033569e20120a4f4bace970b-600wi

I have both. But you need to get a cheap adapter from amazon. My main computer is on the couch in the living room so wireless isn't really an option for me, but just remember these controllers aren't really all that good for newer type gaming. I mean, I don't know what nintendo thinks with these joysticks. But in terms of D-pads and buttons, they are the best. The smaller of the two breaths and sits better in the hand, but if you haven't held a super nintendo controller in a while, its going to feel tiny at first.  

I've got several different controllers that I switch between depending on what I need for the situation.

41xfI3A9w+L._SX300_.jpg

The one I get the most use out of as a sort of general purpose controller is a regular old wireless 360 controller. I prefer the layout and feel over a PS4 controller. It's certainly true that the 360's d-pad is garbage, you'll get no argument from me on that. I've wanted to try out a Xbox One controller as I've heard the d-pad is significantly better, but honestly if I'm playing a game where I need something other than the 360's joystick I'm going to be using a different controller.

Mayflash F300:

201512211016512456.jpg

I use this for arcade and fighting games. It works great, feels really good/responsive, and is super easy to setup because it can be set to Xinput mode which makes it function just like a 360 controller; if you setup an emulator's controls with a 360 controller it's completely interchangeable with this - just plug it in and go. It's also very reasonably priced for an arcade stick ($60).

For most 8 to 16-bit era consoles I'll use either the 360 controller or my USB SNES controller.

Retro-Link SNES Controller:

snes_ctr_USB_Rlink_LED_1.jpg

This is a relatively recent purchase for me but I'm very happy with it. It feels just like an original SNES controller and the d-pad is great.

For more niche things (primarily 8-bit home computers like C64) I use a Mayflash Genesis (which shares the same control port format as a C64 and Atari 2600) to USB adapter.

Mayflash Genesis to USB Adapter:

712J3Aa8XKL._SL1500_.jpg

tac-2-in-its-glory.jpg

This turns the joystick into a generic HID input device in Windows. In my case I'm using it with a Suncom Tac-2 joystick. You should be able to use this with any controller that uses that port though, and it allows you to connect two at once which is pretty nice.

I also have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for Elite: Dangerous and other space sims but that's probably not gonna help too much for retro gaming :P

There are a lot of options out there! I guess if I were to just recommend one controller it'd probably be a 360 controller (or I suppose an Xbox One controller since the price is basically the same, though I haven't used one). I've heard nothing but good things about the Elite controller but the price is kindof insane, to the point that it's a non-starter for me. Probably 75% of my usage is with a 360 controller and everything else is split between the other stuff.

• Like 1

Just wanted to update, I ordered the new version PS4 controllers with some 15ft usb cables off Amazon. This was easier for me to do after aggressively selling some extra stuff on ebay and craigslist, I made more than I needed! :) I will likely get a few other controllers for retro games soon.

I wanted to ask @SentaiBrad or anyone else using the PS4 controllers, if I am using wireless with these, do you recommend any USB receiver of any sort? I am planning to use the built in bluetooth on the motherboard, guess I'll try that out first and see if I have any issues. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone had experience with specific bluetooth receivers. I see that Sony makes one specifically for the PS4 but looking through reviews it's mostly for PSNow or something like that. 

If your bluetooth adapter has decent low latency and works, there's no reason to get another dongle, otherwise, Sony has released an official wireless dongle for PC. They released it for the Streaming to PC and Now, but it should work just fine with a PC as a whole. It seems we're pretty much on the same wave length here: If it's not broke don't fix it. xD

Just wanted to update, the four PS4 controllers have been working pretty well. They work much better when plugged in though, I've had a number or disconnects and odd delays and repeated directional actions through bluetooth. My motherboard has Bluetooth 4.0 / 3.0 + High speed class II on-board. It has the most current driver. I also tried disabling the on-board Bluetooth and used a Plugable BT 4.0 dongle (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - this kinda sorta seems better, but I am still getting lag once in a while. Once everything is connected I haven't had any issues when launching various emulators and having the system recognize all four controllers for systems that support them, so that is cool.

Also it is a bit hit or miss connecting them through blutetooth, I'll press the PS button and see it flashing, but it sometimes takes a few attempts for it to connect. Another weird thing is I've had to pair it a few times and remove it from the bluetooth devices. Blargh! I'll keep at it, I am not 100% sure what the deal is just yet. I just built this system as of last week Thursday and it's all new parts. 

Edited by zorkiii