LaunchBox Community Forums

ScummVM Loading - Solved(?)

bikeking8

There's probably a similar post somewhere, but I personally couldn't find it, wanted to share how I got one game running using only Launchbox (both desktop and BigBox views) and Retroarch. The RA core for the newest stable version 1.4.x works but requires the game folders to be named as the "short name", a tidbit hidden deep within the bowels of githubrepoatlaswikiforum-land. Here's my steps:

1. File Explorer
    1. [POSSIBLY NOT REQUIRED BUT...] Copied all my "long name" ScummVM game folders to a Retroarch\roms folder I created
    2. [IMPORTANT!!] Renamed all my ScummVM game folders to their "short name" using this list: http://scummvm.org/compatibility/1.9.0/
  2. Retroarch
    1. Updated the ScummVM core
    2. Loaded Content for "Beneath a Steel Sky" by selecting the "sky.dsk" file from the Retroarch\roms\sky folder
    3. Confirmed that it booted up, used the "Select/Back" button on controller to get to the core's menu and quit out of it
  3. File Explorer
    1. [MOST LIKELY IMPORTANT!!] Confirmed that the "scummvm.ini" file was generated in the Retroarch\System folder
  4. Launchbox
    1. Added the game in Launchbox as an imported ROM file - see attached screenshot for the minimal whatever I had to do
    2. Pressed "Play" in Launchbox

I've only tried one game right so far which has a *.dsk extension and I don't know if Retroarch requires the folders in its root directory. But I'm quite fond of BASS, so this was a small victory. Feel free to remove the (?) from the topic title IF this method has been confirmed to work for others.

scummvm.png

Edited by bikeking8

Yep, I mentioned this a while back here:

It actually doesn't have to be any one specific file (like sky.dsk) - it can be any file in the folder so long as the folder is named properly.

I found this process to be more time consuming than simply importing/adding them like normal with standalone ScummVM though haha.

• Like 1

There's no reason to delete it - the information is correct.

My post wasn't "Hey why did you post this?" it was in response to your own opening statement that "There's probably a similar post somewhere." There is. You didn't find it though, so this thread provides another opportunity for someone else to find the information they need if they were to do a similar search.

59 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

That post was with 1.3.6.

I'm not sure if this will be relevant to you if you really want to use RA but if you use the SCUMMVM app, this method worked great for me. All I had to do when it was done was edit the properties of some of the non-scraped games to get the metadata and images and videos, which didn't take long at all. Being able to do a quick mass import without headaches was a HUGE time-saver.

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha. Yeah for people starting fresh that's probably a good option.

I like the idea of ScummVM in RA because I'm a shader snob but I find that setup process even more cumbersome than the already cumbersome native LB + ScummVM setup. Also, savestates don't work in RA's ScummVM which is kindof a big turn off.

Man, I really wish I could use RA. I like the shader functionality a lot as well, and I like the idea of the simplicity of most emulators running under one roof, but RA has two issues (again, for me) that kill its usability: I dislike the UI in general, but the one huge thing that blows the whole potential is the controller config. With different consoles and systems having wildly different controller layouts (N64, Intellivision, Colecovision, even the 6-button Saturn pads, etc.) the 'one-size-fits-all' retropad just doesn't work for me at all. It would be great if the cores could support, say, a controller diagram of whatever system you're working on so you can easily match buttons and axes to it.

Anyway, that's off-topic. I didn't know there wasn't savestate support in RA with the ScummVM core. It's not something I use often, but when I want to use I usually really want to use it... most of the ScummVM games I play tend to be the older point-and-click adventure games though and most of them allow you to save any time. There are a few though that could definitely benefit from savestates...

• 3 weeks later...