LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox & steamlink overlay

Pr0FiT

I have a few issues with bbm and my steamlink / in-home streaming / steam overlay. Before submitting an issue to the bug tracker I thought I'd post here and see if you guys have any fixes or tweaks that might help. I know these may actually be steam issues but I'm leaning more towards bbm and we all know steam support is a dead end 9/10 times anyway

1. This has been an issue with bbm since I started using it. If you pull up the overlay while either at the games list screen or the game detail screen, it *mostly* doesn't work.

What I normally see is usually a mash-up of the two screens, some bbm elements, some overlay elements. I can tell the overlay is actually taking the input because of the sounds but it's impossible to navigate obviously. Other times the overlay does not display at all, but still, the audio cues indicate the overlay is taking input.

Upon exiting the overlay you're still stuck with this mash up of elements which can only be cleared by by backing out one level. On more rare occasions bbm just stops taking input all together and I have to kill it. 

From the main menu (where the platforms are displayed) the overlay seems to work fine.

2. Maybe 2-3 weeks ago the steam controller (or in my case ds4) chord buttons stopped worked. The chord buttons are when you hold the home/guide button down, which modifies the button for other functions; most notable screen shots (guide+r-shoulder). These are totally non-functional, non of the bindings work. I don't know if they stopped working with a LB or steam update though. While the other two issues are a pretty big annoyance, this one really really sucks.

3. This one is probably a steam issue. When you pull up the overlay while in-game, it also pulls up the overlay in bbm even though it does not have focus. Now if you exit the overlay by the guide button, you're fine because bbm also receives that input, however if you exit by B button/cancel or by the overlay menu, this does not exit the overlay in bbm and leads you right back into issue 1 but usually even worse (as in, its unresponsive and harder to get it to "clear" the garbled screen).

Toggling the splash screen / logo has no affect on any of these issues.

What do?

Edited by Pr0FiT

• 2 weeks later...

I run steam big picture mode as my shell and launch bigbox from it.  I use a xbox one controllers when locally running.   I have xbox 360 controllers on my steam link.  I ended up turning most of the steam overlay stuff off, per my preferences, that's done from steam settings hosting your bigbox.  That may help some of the issues.  I don't have any focus stealing issues, but my setup may be hiding it.  My family plays it, so I try to make it full proof.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, Pr0FiT said:

On more rare occasions bbm just stops taking input all together and I have to kill it. 

I have experienced this, not very often.  I can confirm this happens with out steam link.  Its like Bigbox is in a deadlock condition, like its waiting on a thread to end or something.  For me it sucks because I don't have anything but those controllers hooked up in both rooms so I end up being lazy and killing the power.

• 5 months later...