LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME region issue

outchy

I'm having a MAME region issue and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  When I launch "Michael Jackson's Moonwalker" through LaunchBox, it opens the "World" version of the ROM instead of the US version, which doesn't function properly. I know the US version works because when I choose it manually in MAME itself, it boots right up with no problem and works great.  I just don't know how to force LaunchBox to choose the US version.  I tried choosing "Edit" from the game's sub-menu and changed the region dropdown to US but that didn't help.  Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you can give.

Well it depends, if you got the merged version of a MAME Rom set, then that is the case, and that would be exactly why LaunchBox wont give you the proper region. In a split set, that is exactly how that works. A single game can have up to a dozen separate files, and all be completely valid. There's the parent rom, then the child roms, and a child rom may depend on just the parent rom, or an entire line of child roms, and the differences may only be regional differences. In MAME .182, split seems to be broken in a couple of areas, so a non-merged set is preferred as you have your full range of import options, but it has near perfect compatibility. So generally, when you want a different variant on a MAME rom, you can either re-run the import process again and choose the region you want for a second import (you'll import all the non-duplciated games), or you can simply change the path to the rom file when you edit a game. If you only want to change 1 game, and aren't interested in other regions, then editing a single game and choosing the rom file that reflects the region you do want is probably simpler and less cluttered.

Ok thanks for the explanation.  The weird thing is, this same rom file used to work fine a while back using LB.  As far as I know, nothing else has changed but my version of LB.  I'm using mame64 v.175 and the same mwalk.7z file as before. I just tried deleting the game from LB and reimporting, making sure to choose North America and it's still launching a distorted version of the ROM (sounds are strange and it's very slow and off-center).  But when I go into mame64 directly without involving LB and choose the US version (or a few other versions), it loads up correctly.  So confused :/