LaunchBox Community Forums

Using Retroarch with Multiple Controllers

Bedwyr

I'm reluctant to hook up my ibuffalo controller to run Retroarch SNES games. Everything works well right now with both the Xbox One and 360 controllers.

What is the process by which I make Retroarch understand two different controller assignments automatically depending on which controller I have plugged in? Or is there not one?

Thanks

• Like 1

There should be no issue as RetroArch should recognise each controller and load an autoconfig file when it detects the controller.

Plug in your iBuffalo pad and launch RetroArch, the OSD should display "USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad" on the screen. Go ahead and bind all your inputs for the pad, ensure that the option to load autoconfig is enabled and choose Save autoconfig file. Now, whenever you start RetroArch with that gamepad plugged in, it should load that autoconfig file.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Er, can I get a clarification on your last answer? First, are you talking about the latest version of Retroach, 1.4.1? Second, where is this autoconfig setting you're talking about and where/when is the controller setting done? 1.4.1 changed how things like core and controller settings are used; you just go into the Retroarch menu and set controls from there. However, this only works for in-game controls, not Retroarch menu access.

If I want to use the select key as the Retroarch hotkey, how do I bind that only for the detected iBuffalo at user #0?

Well, I've researched some and the closest discussion on the intarwebs is actually from this very forum:

It's still not quite the same situation as I want to be able to use a different hotkey setup on a different controller for multiple cores. The XB1 controller hotkey is button 9, but select on a SNES USB controller is a different button number. Is it not possible to have those configs change on the fly?