LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/RetroArch failure to start - Troubleshooting Help needed

MrSanityCheck

Hi,

Here's what I';m using:

• LaunchBox 7.7
  • RetroArch 1.4.1 x64
  • Windows 10 x64

Issue: After importing ROMs across various systems, some of these systems fail to launch RetroArch correctly. For example, the Sega Genesis ROMs all work fine using the retroarch option. However, SNES ROMs, NeoGeo and a few others all fail. The symptom of the failure is a brief screen flicker (milliseconds) and then... nothing! Nothing launches. No Error messages. 

1.thumb.gif.a5d9d2a7eb7ba2f1d135bfc6271cc64a.gif2.thumb.gif.73f8a74564065f4a6e6a93cee21be406.gif

This is what the configuration should be translating to as a command line launch command.: E:\EMU\RetroArch>retroarch.exe -L "cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll" "E:\ROMs (CDS Favourites)\snes\Super Tennis (USA).zip"

From a command prompt this works fine; hence my belief that this is a Launchbox problem (probably the way I have configured it)

Help Needed: If this is recognisable to anyone and they have a quick answer, please let me know. However, I am interested in being able to debug and help others. To be able  to do that, I need to see the log of what LaunchBox is trying to run, but despite searching I cannot find how to turn on any form of error log for LaunchBox. Because the command line approach works OK, the problem seems to be with Launchbox and what it is sending as a command to RetroArch. I just don't know how to see the ACTUAL (vs intended via config) commands that LaunchBox sends.

Thanks in advance! :)

First make sure to update all your cores in RA. Once you have the cores selected that you want you are going to have to manually edit them on the associated platforms tab. I can tell you 100% that those names like fbalpha_2012_neogeo are dated and do not match the current naming conventions RA is using. 

• Like 1

The first thing that stands out to me is that your example command line you are telling Retroarch to use the bsnes_balanced core but in Launchbox you are using the snes9x core.

Make sure that the core in the command line parameters in Launchbox match up with the core you have downloaded and wish to use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

The first thing that stands out to me is that your example command line you are telling Retroarch to use the bsnes_balanced core but in Launchbox you are using the snes9x core.

Make sure that the core in the command line parameters in Launchbox match up with the core you have downloaded and wish to use.

Thanks, for responding, but I have the Snes9x one unchecked and the bsnes one checked as default, so doesn't that mean it is configured as I intend? Or... do I have to delete the snes9x row altogether now?

3 hours ago, keltoigael said:

First make sure to update all your cores in RA. Once you have the cores selected that you want you are going to have to manually edit them on the associated platforms tab. I can tell you 100% that those names like fbalpha_2012_neogeo are dated and do not match the current naming conventions RA is using. 

Thanks, but fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.dll is the only one I can find after updating cores, core info, core database etc. What is the naming convention you are seeing then?

1 hour ago, MrSanityCheck said:

Thanks, for responding, but I have the Snes9x one unchecked and the bsnes one checked as default, so doesn't that mean it is configured as I intend? Or... do I have to delete the snes9x row altogether now?

It doesn't work that way, the check is just for the default emulator when importing. Remove the entry for the Snes9x core all together or change that one to use the bsnes core.

• Like 1

OK. I have solved SNES and NeoGeo. Different issues for both. I will have to work through the rest, but I still want help to see any debug or error info on the fly to be able to diagnose. For example, the solution to the NeoGeo issue would have been much easier to find with the debug, as you'll see...

SNES

Embarrassing. Thought Id eliminated this, but the issue was that the Title in the "Edit Platform" dialog (below) needs to exactly match the "Associated Platforms" in the RetroArch emulator details within Launchbox (2nd image in teh original post). I had changed Super Nintendo Entertainment System to SNES in the Title field (below), but not in the associated platforms window (above). Doh!! :$

3.thumb.gif.7f041344b2284884c83b0e03389afda2.gif

NeoGeo

Equally annoying was that the NeoGeo.zip file that I was using (which nearly all the common sites host) had only 4 bios files in it (1st image below). However, you need a bigger NeoGeo.zip BIOS file with more files in it (2nd image below). Again, I think having readable log files or debug would help diagnose issues like this. Please either enable it in LaunchBox or tell me what I'm missing in order to use/find it if it already exists.

4.thumb.gif.b8b36786e8d2433362b492286654c53b.gif5.thumb.gif.18336c64c967525aaabfb92b40c25e2c.gifThanks to those who've tried to help. :)