LaunchBox Community Forums

[REQUEST] 3D MODE LIKE SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub

supneo

Hello @Jason Carr , it would be a good 3D mode like the SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub, would be a good addition to the premium. In unity3d it would be possible to do it if it can not be done with the Bigbox, I myself could help with the theme of building the room and others.

Sega_Mega_Drive_Classics_Hub_title.png

Edited by supneo

Absolutely, I would love to add something like this guys. I have been thinking along the same lines as well, ever since I first saw New Retro Arcade Neon. That said, it's a huge undertaking, even with using something like Unity, so it's probably not something we can focus on soon (though I would say it should be a longer-term priority). Good to know though that you can help with the 3D stuff @supneo. :)

• Like 2

To be honest, 3D Support is a great idea but the way the classics hub does this is kinda inconvenient... especially for browsing a large library with different platforms.

I was always pretty fond of WiiFlow for Wii:

It was easy to use and allowed to switch platforms and roms / isos very quickly with a great ui that focused on boxart and smooth animations.

Something like this would be awesome. As far as i know there is no frontend for pc which does the same or something similiar.

• Like 5

@Izegod Something similar was actually on the latest poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/launchboxfeatures

I was surprised though because it didn't get as many votes as most of the others; maybe I just didn't phrase it the best. Something like the above is what I had in mind. We'll probably come back to it again in a future poll after we get the top items done from this last poll.

• Like 2

@Jason Carr hah neat. i'd love to have something like "BoxFlow"? (you can steal the name :P )

I played around with unity today and this is the result:

However, someone who knows a thing or two about coding should do this :P

This took me way too long... the positive is that i learned how to unwrap and texture a cube in blender... so i have that going for me :D

• Like 2

• Hey dude, today for something to do I started modelling a 5.25" floppy then I decided I needed a box for it to sit on.  Trying to find box sides for old atari 8 bit/msdos era game boxes using web resources alone has proven impossible so far.  Found a few Amiga boxes scanned from all 6 sides but not 5.25" era games which Im currently aiming at.  Have even asked on an Atari 8 bit users forum to see if anyone with an original box or 3 could scan/photo all 6 sides for me, we shall see what happens.  This is as far as Ive got lol

But altimately fully rotatable retro boxes/carts/floppies/cassettes in Launchbox would be very cool :)

5.25floppydraft3.jpg

Edited by zannyuk
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2017 at 4:20 AM, Izegod said:

To be honest, 3D Support is a great idea but the way the classics hub does this is kinda inconvenient... especially for browsing a large library with different platforms.

I was always pretty fond of WiiFlow for Wii:

It was easy to use and allowed to switch platforms and roms / isos very quickly with a great ui that focused on boxart and smooth animations.

Something like this would be awesome. As far as i know there is no frontend for pc which does the same or something similiar.

wiiflow is the shizznit!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zannyuk said:
  • bla bla i removed the full quote :D

nice, i've linked you to this on discord:

not 6 sides... but 3... including sides... better than nothing: 

https://gbatemp.net/threads/cover-collections-for-emulators-with-cover-support.324714/

Ninja edit:

for c64 games there is http://www.commodorehdcovers.com/

Edited by Izegod
added another link
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Izegod said:

More blah :D

Some great stuff on that gbatemp link, i'll keep it bookmarked as all those can be easily cropped to supply missing back/front covers for the gamesdb if needed, plus from certain angles they would be fine for a render or 2 :)

Just to be awkward though the category I'm currently obsessing over is the Atari 8 bit category and they don't include those, to be fair they do do all the earlier Atari cart games though :)

Anyway a quick test of my floppy model, could do with some better texturing but not too bad for an initial test I reckon.

floppytest.png

• Like 1

Awesome, yeah, I'd love to see 3D boxes and carts/disks and stuff in Big Box; that is somewhat of a dream of mine as well. WPF will certainly support it, though I'm sure there are plenty of challenges to conquer to make it happen. But getting the 3D models and images in place is definitely the first step! :)

Good work m8, how long youve been using unity?  I only started Blender in October, ive got the basics down and can "sometimes" make realistic textures lol but getting it to look "just right" can be a chore.  Today I shall attempt to model a passable cassette , if it works out I may start on some cartridges, if you think any of the models turn out to be useable @Izegod let me know, happy to pass them onto you to play with if they turn out any good.

Edited by zannyuk

Sounds like a plan, im trying not to waste my spare time with playing games....but I like retro games so why not combine the two, was in need of some inspiration to keep me Blendering, was in danger of giving up in defeat, Im having fun with it again now :)

Heh, sounds good.

I've made some progress today:

• Parsing of LaunchBox platform xmls and creating "Boxes" with the required metadata (title, notes, rompath, etc.)
  • Videoplayer for MP4 Videos (thanks HTC for the ffmpeg wrapper :D)... 
  • Tweening of the boxes
  • added some neat shaders like realtime reflection for the boxes, depth of field and ambient occlusion for the camera
  • Actual CONTROLS so i can switch the boxes with keyboard and gamepad instead of setting a variable all the time
  • UI Overlay

and probably more i forgot... not bad for a day and not much prior knowledge.

You might notice it's displaying psp games and only the default boxart for my snes boxes because i used my psp.xml here... i only have 3 psp games... good enough for testing... parsing my snes roms takes a bit too long because im debugging the whole time :)

i'll add fanart backgrounds next and keep playing a bit with it some more.

PS sorry i forgot to turn of themusic... @Jason Carr can't code without music right?! and yes, my neighbours hate me... it's like 9pm here now :D

Edited by Izegod
  • Like 2