LaunchBox Community Forums

[REQUEST] 3D MODE LIKE SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub

supneo

@Jason Carr thanks :D

There are various blender to xaml converters like: https://xamlexporter.codeplex.com/

Unity can apparently generate xaml files, from the docs.: 

Unity generates an XAML C# Visual Studio solution. With XAML C# solution generated you are able to use managed assemblies, such as UnityEngine.dll, Assembly-CSharp.dll, etc. with XAML code on top.

but im not sure how that works...

Maybe you can integrate unity's systems (runtime?) into a net application with that somehow?

I guess that would be the easiest way to extend bigbox with a real 3d engine.

@zannyuk looks great. For which system is that? C64?

Do you have any cartridge models or other "boxes" i could have to play around with?

Edited by Izegod
  • Like 1

ZX Spectrum, Coomodore 64s main rival :D

42 minutes ago, Izegod said:

Do you have any cartridge models or other "boxes" i could have to play around with?

Not yet, idea only came to me 48 hours ago so disc and tape are it so far :)  You know the best way  of importing blender into unity I guess, so something untextured and easy to UV unwrap would be good for you I guess.  LetsI  see what  i model today, youve given me ideas.

• Like 1

I'll have to rewrite my basic engine to support object pooling (for the covers).

Someone linked me to a nice example and it improves performance ALOT. In my initial test i parsed the whole xml with the games of a platform (OK) and directly created a 3d object (box), set it's values (name, path, etc.) and then read the texture from disk and applied it (ok for a few models, NOT OK for a few thousand boxes) :D

With object pooling i'll just need maybe 10-20 boxes depending on how i layout the boxes in the scene and they'll get reused... i'll just load the textures on the fly then, and apply it to the boxes that aren't in view. maybe 5 left, 5 right, and 10 boxes visible on screen.

This should improve performance drastically (i hope, im not sure how the texture loading on the fly will behave when scrolling through a huge library).

I don't know what magic @Jason Carr did with bigbox (i think he caches ALL game images on launch and that causes the startup loading time?) but it's very impressive that bigbox then still runs so silky smooth. 

I hope i can get somehow even near that performance.

My PC is pretty good (i7 6700k @ 4,5GhZ, 16GB Ram and Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Amped! Extreme) but when i throw a mame.xml at my app currently... god have mercy on my poor machine :D

I'll be back. :ph34r:

• Like 1

No kidding, it's amazing how hard Coverflow type stuff is on hardware. The biggest trick is to use cached and resized images, yup.

As neat as it would be to integrate Unity into Big Box, I don't think that would work out so well. It's another huge library, and we'd lose out on all the theming stuff, etc. It's good to see that there's a Blender converter though; that's awesome. So hopefully we can use something like that and use XAML for the animation. :) 

• Like 1

I didn't get much done this week so far but here's a little update:

• put all my parsing stuff etc. in a loading scene
  • added basic scene transitions
  • look at DAT FPS :D
  • .wav sound loader and playback from disk
  • AND actual launching of the selected rom in the associated emulator according to launchbox :D

Still needs lots of optimization but the basics are done now.

The F-Zero Boxart is my default texture so that shows up a few times :P

Launching happens @ 1:26 and 3:28... the app waits for the emu process to close so for now it just freezes :P

I really need to switch from project64 to retroarch with one of those new n64 cores... god is it bad :x

• Like 6

Dude this is amazing, let me know if there is anyway I can help, I could do a  transparent blank cassette tape box for cassette inlays, or well just about any kind of media that might be useful, just let me know.

Edited by zannyuk
  • Like 1